Damage Revisited

d_ns

Not so fond of this. Additional tables during combat are bad imho. In fact, I find the current Major Wound tables a pain. Fixed effects for Special/Critical/Major Wounds always contribute to the continuity/flow of combat. The exception to this being the Fumble Table. No one seems to mind pausing to finding out what happens to their unlucky comrade, hoping for the old RQ "Hit self do max damage" result! ;D

SDLeary

Yeah, BEL came from the time of many tables. Delta Force which came about a few years later I believe went with one table and modifiers which I prefer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, BEL came from the time of many tables. Delta Force which came about a few years later I believe went with one table and modifiers which I prefer.

Not quite. Delta Force had several tables. Firearms, hand-to-hand, grenades and several other tables.

One of my favorites was the old James Bond RPG. It used a one table with a damage class scale that ran in increasing servility from A up to L. I used to mine Delta Force (and other RPGs0 for stuff to use in my Bond campaigns. Quite a lot of it could be ported over in some form or another.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Not quite. Delta Force had several tables. Firearms, hand-to-hand, grenades and several other tables.

One of my favorites was the old James Bond RPG. It used a one table with a damage class scale that ran in increasing servility from A up to L. I used to mine Delta Force (and other RPGs0 for stuff to use in my Bond campaigns. Quite a lot of it could be ported over in some form or another.

Sorry I meant one table for weapon type. Where BEL had a hard cover table, open table etc, I believe this was replaced with more standard situational modifiers in Delta Force (I still haven't got all my gaming stuff unpacked from last years move).

I don't have an issue with seperate tables for attack type (fire arms, armed / unarmed melee etc), but would definately not opt for the table for every situation approach.

Sorry I meant one table for weapon type. Where BEL had a hard cover table, open table etc, I believe this was replaced with more standard situational modifiers in Delta Force (I still haven't got all my gaming stuff unpacked from last years move).

I don't have an issue with separate tables for attack type (fire arms, armed / unarmed melee etc), but would definitely not opt for the table for every situation approach.

Yeah, it was one of the things I wish they had done differently. I was like old D&D, with every new element requiring it own subsection of rules. It did work for DF, but I would have preferred one or two tables. Part of the trouble through is that you can only get so much variance with 2D6+Mod, and it would be hard to get a good variance in results. Not and keep the right level of lethality - you don't want people walking away from .50 cal hit too often. The flat modifiers for weapon causes results similar to what the pluses do in BRP, only worse.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.