Any news on Magic World/Advanced Sorcery?

Chorpa

I am eagerly awaiting the upcoming Magic World and the belonging source books. But I have realized that there has been a while since the last news on it here or on the Chaosium homepage.

We recently started BRP Fantasy campaign (4 sessions/2 adventures in) that is planned to port over to Magic World once that arrive so we are really longing for any news at all on what is probably going to be me my favorite for any future fantasy gaming with my favorite rules system.

Any one know where the book is in the development schedule or any news at all?

I woulld certainly like to know as well, especially the release date for 'Magic World: Advanced Sorcery'...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

A hearty "me too" from me.

Also, for those of us who want a jump start, is this the list of options from Basic Roleplaying that approximate Magic World?

• Higher starting characteristics
  • Simpler skill bonuses
  • Skill ratings over 100%
  • Attacks and parries over 100%
  • Allegiance

Plus random AP from armor.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Final touches are being made to MW. I'm not sure exactly when it'll be out, but I'm guessing it's -very- close, at least in electronic format.

Advanced Sorcery, I'm not too sure about. I know it's being worked on, and should hopefully be out shortly after MW. When I hear more, I'll let you know.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Where's a good place to pick up a copy of Magic World, electronic or hard copy. Not finding much on where to buy or pre-order.

Chaosium traditionally waits until the electronic format is ready, and then posts, hardcopy comes later. No pre-orders.

SDLeary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not well equipped to handle PDFs during games, so I'll have to wait another month I guess. Oh well, at least there is hope! ;D

That is usually my thinking as well but in the interests of accuracy: the book uses a very sensible format which a) is very easy to read on screen B) lends itself to printing two pages per sheet for hard copy

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

I bought my pdf yesterday and have had a cursory glance through the book. My initial impressions are very good; 276 pages with lots of "stuff". Loads more beasties to add to the Bestiary for Gaming!

I really like the layout of this book, it is so easy to read.

I bought my pdf yesterday and have had a cursory glance through the book. My initial impressions are very good; 276 pages with lots of "stuff". Loads more beasties to add to the Bestiary for Gaming!

I really like the layout of this book, it is so easy to read.

Thank you. I tried to make the book look similar to the Elric! books while still adding my own style. Ben really pushed me to make the book look as good as it does, though. He worked really hard on Magic World.

Nick Nacario

Thank you. I tried to make the book look similar to the Elric! books while still adding my own style. Ben really pushed me to make the book look as good as it does, though. He worked really hard on Magic World.

I couldn't be happier with the way the book turned out. It's reminiscent of Elric!, yet having a distinct trade dress of it's own.

Gotta say, too, that it looks -great- on my iPad.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the MW PDF. As far as I'm concerned, Ben, your a gaming Saint.

Well, go forth and spread the news!

:)

Book is definitely top-notch. I ran the first session of a new campaign using Magic World on Tuesday night. Character generation was a snap....I had four players, two previously familiar with BRP and two brand new to the game, but they were easily able to "get it," and we had char gen done in an hour, then got a four hour game session in. The new players had only played Pathfinder or D&D 4E before, so when one of them crit-shotted a troll with an arrow to the face (generating a critical wound) and dropped it in one shot, they were sort of stunned....my old veteran RQ player explained to them that they are now in a game where the combat strategy is "hit hard, hit first, and don't get hit," heh!

They had a blast, looks like Tuesday nights are going to be MW for the foreseeable future.

We did run into one question: is the Sleep spell intended to be such that the sleeper doesn't awaken, even if someone is poking holes in him with a dagger? I ruled that someone under magical slumber had a chance of awakening (CONX1 check) when being attacked, but the spell seemed rather potent in the RAW.