Magic World Questions

Drew

I purchased the pdf last night and it's pretty spiffy.

As I read through a number of questions occur which I'll ask in order. First off is age; does a character gain +20 skill points per additional d6 years or does it only kick in at 5d6 years or greater? Also, which skills can they be applied to? I can't seem to find anything that says they're restricted to culture or occupation.

A choice of only three skills from the Cultural Skills list :( .

After RuneQuest I was expecting a few more, maybe five or so. Something doesn't feel right with saying your culture only gives you three...Other than that I'm pretty much liking most of this product so far. I really prefer the RQ Hit Locations over the Major Wounds Table, but I knew this was pretty much Stormbringer before I ordered it, so no surprises there.

Looks like a really good fantasy toolkit to have, and the setting looks like alot of fun as well, I really hope Magic World takes off

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

After RuneQuest I was expecting a few more, maybe five or so. Something doesn't feel right with saying your culture only gives you three...

Why is only three a problem for you, and couldn't you just add another Cultural Skill?

I had a question about Allegiance. On p. 29 under Increasing Allegiance it says it increases by 1d6 if you roll under current allegiance. Shouldn't it be over instead?

No. The same rule/algorithm is in Elric! Seems the idea is that Allegiance accelerates as you get more allied. Opposite of skills, where the more you know, the harder it is to improve.

I purchased the pdf last night and it's pretty spiffy.

As I read through a number of questions occur which I'll ask in order. First off is age; does a character gain +20 skill points per additional d6 years or does it only kick in at 5d6 years or greater? Also, which skills can they be applied to? I can't seem to find anything that says they're restricted to culture or occupation.

The Aging description on p. 21 is a bit muddy. Read the full description on p. 17 instead. Yes, for each D6 of age you take, you get +20 percentiles to distribute as you wish (IE: to any skills you want). At 5D6, aging kicks in, and you lose the two characteristic points.

After RuneQuest I was expecting a few more, maybe five or so. Something doesn't feel right with saying your culture only gives you three...Other than that I'm pretty much liking most of this product so far. I really prefer the RQ Hit Locations over the Major Wounds Table, but I knew this was pretty much Stormbringer before I ordered it, so no surprises there.

Looks like a really good fantasy toolkit to have, and the setting looks like alot of fun as well, I really hope Magic World takes off

See p. 219: "THESE RULES ARE MALLEABLE: This book contains the material that most peo- ple should need to run an epic fantasy cam- paign. Inevitably, your setting will have ar- eas that fall outside of the scope of what we have written. If you don’t want to allow certain races, equipment, spells, etc. in your game that is your prerogative. Discuss with your players the changes you wish to make, and feel free to add, delete, and modify rules to make the game exactly fit your style. Make sure to note anything which alters from the core Magic World rules, so that there will be no confusion as the Chronicle progresses."

:)

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

The Aging description on p. 21 is a bit muddy. Read the full description on p. 17 instead. Yes, for each D6 of age you take, you get +20 percentiles to distribute as you wish (IE: to any skills you want). At 5D6, aging kicks in, and you lose the two characteristic points.

Thanks. :)

I have a few more questions about other aspects of the rules that I'll fire off tomorrow.

Why is only three a problem for you, and couldn't you just add another Cultural Skill?
Never said I couldn't add another one or two Cultural Skills, of course I can if I desire. Certainly not a problem. I was just making an observation that I was was surprised that the default rules suggested only three. Nothing overly critical, I think the rules and the Magic World product itself is a great thing to have in print.

See p. 219: "THESE RULES ARE MALLEABLE:...
Yes, of course, any GM will fiddle with things, I'm no different ;) I like your product Ben I think this Magic World line should get a lot of support. Chaosium really needs a Fantasy line as well as a Cthulhu line, I'ld like to think this will take off well. Its a great start to the year in any case! Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Yes, of course, any GM will fiddle with things, I'm no different ;) I like your product Ben I think this Magic World line should get a lot of support. Chaosium really needs a Fantasy line as well as a Cthulhu line, I'ld like to think this will take off well. Its a great start to the year in any case!

Glad you're enjoying it! I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere, but there are already four other supplements written and edited, and ready to go into the production queue (and a fifth which is about 75% done). If all those do well, I hope there'll be a long line of support for the game in the future!

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Let's talk about the Brawling skill okay?

Consider Baab the Brawler -- he has 110% in Brawling and is attacking a guy with 1D6 armor. The question is does he do 2D3 - 1D6 with a 55% of hitting, or is it only 1D3-1D6. In other words, do you get the extra damage before or after the skill reduction for armor?

The second related question is my version has in the example with Iron Claw as doing 1D4+1+7D3 -- is this a typo? I get 1D4+1+2D3 (which is still worth the effort). Could you clarify that paragraph a little.

As always,

Thanks.