Sci-Fi based BRP game that is not dead?

MrHemlocks

Guest Vile Traveller

If I win the lottery I'd buy the rights to Space Opera and retool it to use BRP.
I hope Nick wins the lottery :-)
I'll buy him a ticket, I loved Space Opera.

We need to set up a BRP Central syndicate for this right now.

If I win the lottery I'd buy the rights to Space Opera and retool it to use BRP.

Personally I'd stay clear of Space Opera ... I hear the rights holder is a bit cray-cray.

I'd rather see an all in one game based on a successful set of SF rules (e.g. Ringworld) but with the copyrighted elements renamed or removed. Maybe we'd call it "Future World" or something.

Of course, a big problem with any "science fiction" game is ... what subgenre? Modern transhumanist? Near future hard science? Cyberpunk? Military SF? 1950's space opera? 1920's pulp SF? 1890's scientific romances? A five year mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations? A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away? A madman in a box?

Still, as Nick demonstrated, it's not that hard to grab a setting or source-book you like -- 2300 AD, Traveller, GURPS Space, Star Hero, Prime Directive, Star Wars D6, whatever -- and convert on the fly.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Guest Vile Traveller

I'd rather see an all in one game based on a successful set of SF rules (e.g. Ringworld) but with the copyrighted elements renamed or removed. Maybe we'd call it "Future World" or something.

I spoke to Dustin about Future*World about a year ago (possibly more), but things seem to be a bit up-in-the-air at Chaosium these days. I think it would make a great game, although you would (ironically) have to be careful about parallels with Peter F. Hamilton's works. Ironically, because his universe employing 'gateworlds' and wars using the gate projectors to interdict incoming gates are very reminiscent of Future*World. And both settings have a main character called "Sheldon". ;)

Being serious for a moment, I am well aware of the reputation of FGU / Scott Bizar and I'd be far more likely if I had a lottery win to use it to fund creating a BRP SF game with similar feel and the same inspirations (but the sort of production values a lottery win could fund) rather than try and untangle that particular mess.

There was a serious effort to relaunch Ringworld, or a version rebadged as Known Space about eight years back, and subsequently some extensive discussion of the concept of a "BRP Space" on one or more of the BRP Yahoo groups. To summarize what I took away from those discussions: one should be DEEPLY skeptical that any licensed IP is either feasible or workable (especially for Chaosium, especially in the current market); and equally one should be highly critical of any generic "SF sourcebook" proposal. There is a surfeit of the latter for many generic RPG systems and pretty much every genre of SF; and the former bring with them a tangle of legal and practical complications that will seriously impact the viability of any product.

My own opinion then and now is that what Chaosium / BRP needs is an in house SF game:

• based on the BGB, and through its subsystenms laying the groundwork for future takes on different sub-genres
  • with a setting specifically tailored to maximize its appeal, whilst leaving the door open for future supplements
  • Self contained in a single book, so a single purchase will let people get started.

Fond as I am of Future*World neither it, nor even a "modern" reworking such as my own Outpost 19 fits the bill I suspect. Nor will a Ringworld with the serial numbers filed off I suspect. I think better approach is to think about what tabletop RPG's excel at; what their strengths are (teams; action on the scale of individuals; stories focused on characters) and build the initial setting from there and use that as the spring board for the game.

Cheers,

Nick

Speaking of which. I once ran a Star Wars adventure for the old D6 system "on the fly" using nothing but one of the old Marvel Star Wars comics. I would just gently steer the players in the right direction (easy actually in any type of military adventure) and read text and dialog straight from the comic. It started out as a test to see if I could do it and turned out to be kinda fun. You could do the same thing with any RPG that has common enemies, ships, armor, and weapons, already statted out I suspect.

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Has anyone ever used Eclipse Phase ? It is a percentile skill based system. You can download free pdfs of all of the books from the authors blog. It is also written under a Creative Commons License. Sounds like the perfect setting for a conversion to BRP, and you can distribute the results if you follow the conditions of the license.

Eclipse Phase PDFs | Rob Boyle

I use  fantasygrounds.com

I think one of the forum members previously attempted converting Eclipse Phase to BRP, but decided in the end that Eclipse Phase was good enough left alone. I think probably plays well as it is, and being d100% based it probably appeals to BRP fans. Not that this helps this forum thread...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Not really into the Cthulhu in space theme. I run plenty of CoC games and not looking for more of the same stuff. The other links were just adventures not actual game rules. Sure you could play around with adding some of the BRP core rules to them to make a semi playable game but I am interested in a finished Sci-Fi rpg rules book and now I find out there is none for BRP.

Might try Traveller or Rogue Trader. Was looking for a game that combined my favorits...Space 1999, Aliens and Deap Space pc games...

Cthulhu Rising is a great hard science fiction game, very ALIENS like and it is posible to completely ignore the Cthulhu mythos stuff. It has good psionics rules too.

Cthulhu Rising is a deep space setting in which the PC astronauts encounter creatures of the Mythos, since deep space is where the baddies came from in the first place. Cthulhu Tech is more of an Earth-based setting of monsters vs. giant robots. Think Toho's Godzilla task force, only they're fighting Mythos critters instead of Japanese kaiju.

If the existing BRP sci-fi material doesn't suit, you can't go wrong with Traveller. It was "the" science fiction game in the same way Call of Cthulhu was "the" horror game. Also take a look at Rocket Rangers!, a free pulp sci-fi setting I wrote for Mini Six, available for download at www.antipaladingames.com. Compared to BRP and even Traveller, Mini Six is pretty quick and dirty, and it uses regular six-sided dice. You can be up and playing in a few minutes. Also consider Legends of Time and Space, another freebie for download at www.darkcitygames.com. It is based on the old The Fantasy Trip, only four pages long, and the free adventure provides basic spaceship combat rules. Another easy to learn and play rule set.

Edited by seneschal

Cthulhu Rising is a deep space setting in which the PC astronauts encounter creatures of the Mythos, since deep space is where the baddies came from in the first place. Cthulhu Tech is more of an Earth-based setting of monsters vs. giant robots. Think Toho's Godzilla task force, only they're fighting Mythos critters instead of Japanese kaiju.

If the existing BRP sci-fi material doesn't suit, you can't go wrong with Traveller. It was "the" science fiction game in the same way Call of Cthulhu was "the" horror game. Also take a look at Rocket Rangers!, a free pulp sci-fi setting I wrote for Mini Six, available for download at AntiPaladin Games. Compared to BRP and even Traveller, Mini Six is pretty quick and dirty, and it uses regular six-sided dice. You can be up and playing in a few minutes. Also consider Legends of Time and Space, another freebie for download at www.darkcitygames.com. It is based on the old The Fantasy Trip, only four pages long, and the free adventure provides basic spaceship combat rules. Another easy to learn and play rule set.

Thanks for the information. One of my players brought this to my attention, The Game | Eclipse Phase, and it looks real Sci-fi hardcore!

Eclipse Phase certainly has its adherents at www.rpg.net but I've never actually seen a copy. The blurb's description of Pandora Gates reminds me of the Gate Warden universe in Outpost 19. Apparently ditching your rocketship for doorway interplanetary travel is the in thing. ;) The in-flight meals aren't much to speak of, though. In Traveller, merely getting from one place to another was often an adventure in itself.

Has anyone ever used Eclipse Phase ?

Yes, but I have to admit that I did not like it. There is no problem with the game system,

but the setting has a strong transhumanist touch, too much of it for my more old fashio-

ned science fiction taste.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Yes, but I have to admit that I did not like it. There is no problem with the game system,

but the setting has a strong transhumanist touch, too much of it for my more old fashio-

ned science fiction taste.

So you would like game like Traveller better. But if human race technology keeps advancing at such a pace, as it is now, I fear that an Eclipse Phase transhumanist future is our destiny. But I agree with you the whole tanshuman thing, in gaame, kind of makes me question the games fun.

But no matter what...it is real hardcore sci-fi!

Eclipse Phase is brilliant. There are lots of potential adventuring opportunities in the game. The default campaign is perfect, the characters are secret agents called Sentinels working for a clandestine group called Firewall. Firewall's mission is to investigate and eliminate existential (read: human extinction level) threats. You can move all about the solar system with Farcasting, beaming your ego into new bodies and going on missions. I also think a game exploring exoplanets via the Pandora Gates could be a blast (Terra Nova style). I am re-reading the books and I plan on playing the game a couple more times to see if my impressions of the system are off. I didn't originally like it, but I'm going to give it another go. I made a character sheet, GM screen you can find on my website (see sig, downloads section). The sheet is designed to make switching morphs easier, but that process still requires a little math each time. The art work and writing in these books (and layout) are superb! The kind of books to put on the coffee table and show off. I highly recommend these books for the setting alone. If I can't make the system do what I want, I'm going to come up with a conversion. I was going to use GURPS, but I think I want something lighter like BRP or even just writing something or house-ruling from scratch.

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

Is there such a thing as fake softcore sci-fi? ;D

Wooo, "softcore sci-fi." Sounds ... kinky!

1. Yes, but the spaceships are paid less.

2. Not as kinky as the hardcore sci-fi, those games include things like... mass calculations, delta-v, and... NO gravity on the spaceships. :-O

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

I thought these guys went out of business some time ago but I am wrong. My choices of a SciFi rpg just increased by one. They must have one mean and nasty combat system in HARP Sci-Fi. HARP-SF | Just another Iron Crown Enterprises site and HARP Sci-Fi extreme Harp SF Xtreme - Guild Companion Publications | HARP & HARP SF | DriveThruRPG.com

Edited by MrHemlocks

• 2 weeks later...

If the OP is still interested in an old-school style scifi game, the recently released HULKS AND HORRORS is available from drivethrurpg for free as a PDF. There are also free versions of X-PLORERS and STARS WITHOUT NUMBER. They are more d20ish than d100ish, but you can't beat the price. :)

Edited by kreider204

• 3 weeks later...

Have a look at Operation Ulysses. It is so much more than a simple SciFi adventure, there is a lot of setting information in it. The whole appendix is 46 pages long, giving weapon pictures and stats (32 weapons), 13 playable alien races (all very well described and thought out), critters (4) and a hand full of vehicles.

The setting info in the book is plenty, and it is easy to build your own around this. Sure, this is not as huge as maybe traveller, but I have seen other games with a lot less setting info which were called source books.

The part I like best are the CEL clones, which can swap robotic bodies depending on the task ahead. A bit like Eclipse Phase, but completely different.

For me Operation Ulysses seems to be underrated. It is one of the bigger monographs with a lot of info in it and good pictures that do not change between hand drawn and CGI (they are all hand drawn, done very well).

If you like good old scifi with no more fancy supernatural stuff than in Star Wars, you should grab it. It is plain old school scifi that delivers atmosphere and mood. Characters will feel powerful but not over the top, and I can see how one can use different source books to keep a campaign running without too much difficulties.

It is the best starting point for a SciFi group so far available for BRP.

I like Traveller, and seeing more 2300 would be welcomed. For.me I use settings as a starting point than go off in my own. Most Gms and players tho want to follow ONLY popculture. So the issue is convert stuff, or be out in the abyss doing stuff alone. So for us in BRP derived games what do we do