Core Rules Questions

Scout

Page 15

Str/2 aids you in dodging? That doesn't seem right

Would it break anything if I just ruled that it was Dex/2?

Page 31 "Accepting apotheosis or not, the benefits of Allegiance continue so long as Allegiance exists."

So once you get 100+ more Allegiance, you get the applicable benefits regardless?

EDIT: I'd forgotten I'd started another similar thread called 'Core Rule Questions' located here.

Feel free to merge them if it's easier

Edited by zomben

I think the rationale is that if you are strong then you can more easily throw yourself around.

But use DEX if you want.

It is very difficult to break BRP by making small changes.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Page 15

Str/2 aids you in dodging? That doesn't seem right

What is the base score of Dodge? Now consider who has the advantage at diving out of the way of a rock thrown by a giant, the 8 stone weakling who happens to have average hand eye coordination (STR 8, DEX 11 so Dodge 26 untrained) or the athletic Warrior with similarly average coordination (STR 16, DEX 11 so Dodge 30)? The skill category bonuses are (especially in the case of skills like Dodge, which are based on other Stats) a small part of the starting values of skills, and represent a broad aptitude across a whole category.

Would it break anything if I just ruled that it was Dex/2?

No, but it would over emphasise Dex's role in combat in my opinion as Dodge would start at 2.5 x DEX. If you are that bothered about it I'd exempt Dodge from having ANY skill category modifier tbh.

Nick

The Fisher occupation only starts with 7 skills, not 8, so does Sorcerer, but on page 19 it tells you to dish out skill points to 8 occupation skills.

That's an error. Add "World Lore" to the Sorcerer, Fisher should have "and one weapon skill, or one other skill as a personal specialty."

I've already made a note of that, and if I can't get those fixes in the final printing, I'll make sure to add them to the errata.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

What is the base score of Dodge? Now consider who has the advantage at diving out of the way of a rock thrown by a giant, the 8 stone weakling who happens to have average hand eye coordination (STR 8, DEX 11 so Dodge 26 untrained) or the athletic Warrior with similarly average coordination (STR 16, DEX 11 so Dodge 30)? The skill category bonuses are (especially in the case of skills like Dodge, which are based on other Stats) a small part of the starting values of skills, and represent a broad aptitude across a whole category.

No, but it would over emphasise Dex's role in combat in my opinion as Dodge would start at 2.5 x DEX. If you are that bothered about it I'd exempt Dodge from having ANY skill category modifier tbh.

Nick

Yes, that does make sense

Thanks

On page 103 in Magic World book it states that "A staff may have protection and countermagic spells laid on it." I think those spells are from Rune Quest or from magic in BGB. Can spells SORCERER'S SHIELD and REFLECTION be used on staff instead?

We're not talking about specific spells in this case. Any protection or counter magic-type spells fall into this rule. So, yes, Sorcerer's Shield and Reflection would work.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Page 31 "Accepting apotheosis or not, the benefits of Allegiance continue so long as Allegiance exists."

So once you get 100+ more Allegiance, you get the applicable benefits regardless?

I don't have Magic World & it's been ages since I played Elric so please keep that in mind... In Elric you got "allegiance" benefits once you had X points higher than anything else. They were nice perks - extra magic points or hit points or stuff like that. If your level went high enough you could become a champion and things went to the next level. For example, I think champions of chaos were automattically resurrected if they were killed.

I'd read this as if you don't accept Apotheosis you could still keep the lower Allegiance benefits you were entitled to.

To make sure I'm reading this right; unlike d&d type spells, you don't cast magic in Magic World on your turn, but a round later?

Example

D&D: the mage's initiative is 12, when 12 comes up, the mage casts his spell and the effect is produced on 12

MW: the sorcerer's intelligence is 16, when 16 comes up, the sorcerer 'prepares' his spell and the effect is produced when 16 comes around the next turn?

I think it takes a full combat round to prepare/cast most spells (possibly longer for more complex ones, I'm unsure), and the spell takes effect during the magic phase of the following combat round.

No skill roll required is the default, although I don't really dig that. I tend to prefer the BRP Sorcery system with the optional suggestion of having casters making an INTx5%, and I always stipulate at least three components or environmental/circumstantial/sympathetic requirements (also relevant Knowledge skill mimumums etc) to be present otherwise I make it a Difficult roll. Just makes it feel more 'sorcerous' that way. But to answer your query, it takes a round of prep beforehand, otherwise it would feel more like a superpower rather than spellcasting I reckon.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

To make sure I'm reading this right; unlike d&d type spells, you don't cast magic in Magic World on your turn, but a round later? Example [...] the sorcerer's intelligence is 16, when 16 comes up, the sorcerer 'prepares' his spell and the effect is produced when 16 comes around the next turn?

This is correct, but on the plus side Magic World has a distinct "Magic" phase before mundane actions. E.g. Eilonwy the Enchantress (INT 16, DEX 11) casts a spell at an attacking cheetah (DEX 18). Assuming her pal Athelstane the Armored can fend it off for the rest of the turn, her spell goes off before the cheetah can make a second attack.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Not sure if anyone has asked this before, but is the threshold of 16 POW too high to be able to perform Sorcery?

Maybe Characteristics should be started at a higher base anyway (2d6+6?). As it stands, there is a less than 3% random chance that any character will be able to use magic. In game-world percentages this is fine, but Magic World PCs should have more chance than that surely?