Core Rules Questions

Scout

Well there are plenty of options to make Sorcery available for more than the unlucky ones. In BRP there is the Sorcerous Heritage option if you really want sorcery but haven't reached the minimum requirement. Basically you trade 2 characteristics point for 1 POW. Other option is making it a goal for the character and go out there and put yourself in situations where you will get chances to raise POW. Going after Spirits and other Sorcerers are a good idea since they will often engage in POW vs. POW combat a dangerous but very interesting path to become a sorcerer. If lucky you will be able to acquire some grimoires with spells for the day when you can actually cast sorcery spells yourself. ;t)

In Magic World there are even more suggestions how to bypass the POW requirement. But the easiest option if you want sorcery more accessible is to reduce or remove the POW requirement.

I myself like the high requirement since I want access to Sorcery to be very desirable. The spells are very usable for any sort of character not just pure Sorcerers to enhance their already existing skills and abilities.

Not sure if anyone has asked this before, but is the threshold of 16 POW too high to be able to perform Sorcery?

Maybe Characteristics should be started at a higher base anyway (2d6+6?). As it stands, there is a less than 3% random chance that any character will be able to use magic. In game-world percentages this is fine, but Magic World PCs should have more chance than that surely?

It's part if the default "feel" that Sorcery using characters are exceptionally rare. However, there is a little box entitled "Spellcasting Requirement Options" on page 97 that offers a number of alternatives...

Regards,

Nick

Maybe Characteristics should be started at a higher base anyway (2d6+6?).
For the past few years, if I haven't advised PCs to use the point build method of character creation, then I've been using 2D6+6 for rolling all their Characteristics as a random generation method. Seems to work better in my opinion, as I was always telling them to ignore rolls of less than 7 anyway...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

In my games, I let the players choose from either of these two methods:

Roll 2d6+6 for all stats, assign how you want

Decide what sort of guy you want to play, and just assign all the stats as you please, but within reason

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.