New Game Model

nclarke

The VTT sort of sub-WoW gaming still has the problem that you need everyone to get online at the same time.

"Being there at the same time" is the same inconvenience that tabletop gaming has, and it has never stopped us from playing. It does, however, eliminate the need to be there at the same place.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

"Being there at the same time" is the same inconvenience that tabletop gaming has, and it has never stopped us from playing. It does, however, eliminate the need to be there at the same place.

Indeed. But forum/email play eliminates both such onerous requirements.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

And knowing that you are so keen to continue with this gaming model that has been happily around since the 80s, Alephtar Games is very happy to provide you with brand new overpriced 800-page books, possibly including reprints of RuneQuest materials from the past (Kyger Litor rulez) which you will use without any tech-heavy game props. As you certainly have more money than the kiddos who want to see 3d sprites moving on a plane, >:> this will make my wallet really really...

Hmmmm, no, wait, this is not exactly our business plan at the moment. Maybe we are planning something that may make BRP, and RPGs in general, more appealing to fresh new blood.

I get it from a business perspective.

I just think that's a lot of work that I don't want as a GM. I'd rather spend more time thinking about the story than deciding which robot sprites look the coolest.

...and I've bought all but one of your catalog up to this date. You're my favorite gaming company.

121/420

I get it from a business perspective.

I just think that's a lot of work that I don't want as a GM. I'd rather spend more time thinking about the story than deciding which robot sprites look the coolest.

Then we will manage to devise a solution where you can game without sprites, and kiddos can game with them.

...and I've bought all but one of your catalog up to this date. You're my favorite gaming company.

See? It's a win-win situation for me. I still get both your money and the kiddos' >:>

@frogspawner: play by forum eliminates both annoyances, but it also takes away elements that are a relevant part of the fun for someone. As such, it is not for everyone. Online play is not for everyone, either, but it preserves more of the aspects of TT playing, so it has a wider audience.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

@frogspawner: play by forum eliminates both annoyances, but it also takes away elements that are a relevant part of the fun for someone. As such, it is not for everyone. Online play is not for everyone, either, but it preserves more of the aspects of TT playing, so it has a wider audience.

Sure. They're not alternatives. My bunch get our weekly FTF, and PBP supplements that - VTT is too much of a compromise to bother with, by comparison. But for those who can't get (enough) FTF, the VTT experience would have the edge over PBP certainly (once technical problems are solved). [TLA overload? ;)]

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I get the push for incorporating graphics into the game as a way to drag video gamers over (theoretically), but I guess my question is "why?"

It's not to drag over video gamers per say , it's to ijmprove the overall RPGing experience.

I haven't needed Space Chess from Star Wars to determine where stuff is in a combat thus far, why will I need it in the future? Will my imagination and grasp of semantics regarding spatial relation be taken from me sometime in the very near future? Is there some sort of hypnotic/analgesic affect drawn from watching 3D sprites move on a plane that I haven't experienced yet?

I don't want anything else from online gaming suites. Voice chat and at times a crudely drawn map are all I ever use as a GM.

Maybe but what about your players? Don't they count?

I used to game with some people who were (and still are0 legally blind. I also have done some running over the phone. One of the things that we all discovered was that without the visual clues that we take for granted around a battleboard, there is a lot more miscommunication. Players often read a scene differently that the GM did. Things like how much ocer they had, or what side of the door they were on, is much more easily established with a map.

Nice images alos help in that they convey much more information than crude maps and quick descriptions. That helps in establishing the presecen of a scene or opponent. A nice pic does a lot more towards making somebody look scary that a stick figure.

Grpahics can also help with making the experience more immsersive and exciting. THey can not only make it easier to role play, but make the quality of the role playi better.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I get the push for incorporating graphics into the game as a way to drag video gamers over (theoretically), but I guess my question is "why?"

I haven't needed Space Chess from Star Wars to determine where stuff is in a combat thus far, why will I need it in the future? Will my imagination and grasp of semantics regarding spatial relation be taken from me sometime in the very near future? Is there some sort of hypnotic/analgesic affect drawn from watching 3D sprites move on a plane that I haven't experienced yet?

I don't want anything else from online gaming suites. Voice chat and at times a crudely drawn map are all I ever use as a GM.

I think that the what is being worked on is obviously not for you. I'm guessing that Skype or Teamspeak plus one of those free whiteboards is all you ever need.

As we all know there is a very wide spectrum of gaming styles and rules systems. What works for me doesn't work for you and vice versa.

Gamers will come into the hobby from different backgrounds. I came in from PnP and then PbP, then to VTT.

For those who might be coming to the hobby from WoW or SW:KotOR, their expectations might be different. They might feel the need for more visual cues than what we are used to.

I use  fantasygrounds.com

The VTT sort of sub-WoW gaming still has the problem that you need everyone to get online at the same time. I think a mainly text-based play-by-posting style via a forum or email is much more convenient.

You do need to get online at the same time, but you don't have to be in the same LOCATION. I use a VTT to play a weekly game with players in 2 countries and 4 different cities. Of course you can do the same with PBem /PbP but if you can use a VTT to meet up then I say take the opportunity.

A drawback of PbP games is that it is more convenient unless you are having to wait for other players to post.

I could see a fusion of the two methods. PbP for more of the rping between session stuff, especially if you can only meet up once a month for instance.

I use  fantasygrounds.com

...but you don't have to be in the same LOCATION.
I do know that. :7

A drawback of PbP games is that it is more convenient unless you are having to wait for other players to post.
Yes, is is more convenient. And yes, having to wait for others' postings is THE drawback - but the style can be tailored to minimize the problem. Basically a narrative with players chipping-in as-and-when, for instance.