BRP on Roll20

LochaberAxe

• 2 weeks later...

They are supposed to be going live with roll-able Tables later this month, which will help with critical hits and fumbles ( so I wouldn't try to use macros for that ).

Setting up the specials, criticals and fumbles would probably be the most important part of the process, but I haven't looked into it yet.

The macros don't support If Then statements or anything complex so I'm not sure there is much that you can really do.

I have used the rollable tables for Hit Locations and it works well.

Simple macros can be setup for Skills using Roll20 Abilities (useful if you use their 'chat' system to log what's said/done in game)

Opposed rolls and secret rolls are also possible with simple macros.

The new API system will allow more complex scripts but I will have to learn more javascript before I can do any BRP specific ones.

I have used the rollable tables for Hit Locations and it works well.

Simple macros can be setup for Skills using Roll20 Abilities (useful if you use their 'chat' system to log what's said/done in game)

Opposed rolls and secret rolls are also possible with simple macros.

The new API system will allow more complex scripts but I will have to learn more javascript before I can do any BRP specific ones.

It will easily make roll20 that much more customizable. It should be noted that the API access is a Mentor

subscriber feature. As long as the GM is a mentor the customized scripts should work.

I use  fantasygrounds.com

• 1 month later...

It will easily make roll20 that much more customizable. It should be noted that the API access is a Mentor

subscriber feature. As long as the GM is a mentor the customized scripts should work.

The API has now gone live across Roll20 so Mentors can now add API scripts to any games they run.

A number of really good scripts are appearing on the Mentor forums which should provide additional help with running games on Roll20.

BRP games can work well on Roll20 without API scripts - I have been running one weekly for the last couple of months and have not used any API scripts in-game yet.

Have you found a good way to indicate whether a roll is a success, failure, special, critical or fumble result ?

I have the basis of an API script which takes chat messages which are dice rolls of type 1d100<n and works out whether the roll was critical/special/success/fail/fumble and sends the appropriate message to the chat window. I still have some work to do to make it work reliably. Obviously this will only be useful for games where the GM is a Mentor level Roll20 user.

• 7 months later...

For normal rolls my macro is:

/roll 1d100

Fumble>=[[ceil(100-((100-?{Target})/20))]] Success<=[[ceil(?{Target})]] Special<=[[ceil(?{Target}/5)]] Critical<=[[ceil(?{Target}/20)]]

When you run the macro it asks for Target which would be your Skill/Characteristic Roll/Whatever with bonuses and penalties already applied. So if your skill is 65 and you have a +10% then target is 75. It will perform a simple d100 roll and then just below it will output the calculated thresholds for levels of success. This way its a simple glance to see what you managed to accomplish. Its not quite reporting the success level for me but it's as close as I could get. Hopefully those smarter than I can take it the next step with APIs.

For resistance rolls:

/roll 1d100

Fumble>=[[ceil(100-((100-(50+((?{Active Factor}-?{Passive Factor})*5)))/20))]] Success<=[[ceil(50+((?{Active Factor}-?{Passive Factor})*5))]] Special<=[[ceil((50+((?{Active Factor}-?{Passive Factor})*5))/5)]] Crit<=[[ceil((50+((?{Active Factor}-?{Passive Factor})*5))/20)]]

And I just realized that with a few extra parenthesis you can include math formula in the target value. So instead of having to enter 75 for a skill of 60 with a +15 bonus you can simply enter 60+15 or 75, your choice:

Basic rolls:

/roll 1d100

Fumble>=[[ceil(100-((100-(?{Target}))/20))]]

Success<=[[ceil((?{Target}))]]

Special<=[[ceil((?{Target})/5)]]

Critical<=[[ceil((?{Target})/20)]]
Can't think of a case where you would need this for resistance rolls but just incase:
/roll 1d100

Fumble>=[[ceil(100-((100-(50+(((?{Active Factor})-(?{Passive Factor}))*5)))/20))]]

Success<=[[ceil(50+(((?{Active Factor})-(?{Passive Factor}))*5))]] 

Special<=[[ceil((50+(((?{Active Factor})-(?{Passive Factor}))*5))/5)]]

Critical<=[[ceil((50+(((?{Active Factor})-(?{Passive Factor}))*5))/20)]]

NOTE: If anyone can find a way to make something like "#macro 75" or "#macro 75-15" work let me know. Right now it just prompts for the target and ignores the parameter supplied in the chat command. If that worked then it would be dead simple to add nested macros with something like "#macro %{selected|jump}" or "#macro %{selected|jump}+"