World Geography

Trifletraxor

Ah, now I have a language problem: The gorges are the valleys where the

rivers come out of the mountain range, right ?

Yep, the gorges are called teeth because of the mountain spires on either side.

If so, perhaps you could include some kind of (at least partially) water-filled

cave system (labyrinth ?) under the mountains, as a Gate in a flooded cave

would make the perfect "other end" of the Gate I already located in a similar

place on Pharos IV ?

No problem what-so-ever. Sounds kind of cool. I planned on leaving the gates as pretty sketchy (at least for a while). The green seems to be going deeping along the fantasy route for now though. Originally I thought that the green was going to be able to work for both fantasy and Sci fi worlds with just a few adjustments that could be cut and plugged where the GM needed them. Now it looks like there will almost need to be two greens: one for fantasy and another for sci-fi. Of course the basic write-up could be used for both.

294/420

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically, the Gates idea was to enable travel between the non-shared worlds - so SharedWorld is the one that actually doesn't need gates. (But the concept seems popular enough that people want to include them anyway - which is nice).

Originally I thought that the green was going to be able to work for both fantasy and Sci fi worlds with just a few adjustments that could be cut and plugged where the GM needed them. Now it looks like there will almost need to be two greens: one for fantasy and another for sci-fi. Of course the basic write-up could be used for both.

I'd say The Green could be a Gate in itself: if you finally manage to hack/paddle your way out from it's claustrophobic depths, who knows what world you may find yourself in...?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

By the way, has anyone proposed where a Gate could be in this world ?

But of course: the wondrous city of Asherayne, now known as Portal, bisected north/south by the (mighty?) River Jule, surrounded by barbarian tribal lands, and with mountains beyond haunted by degenerate remnants of the Akershule sorcerors (Azirgnoth?) who built it...

Any thoughts where in the world it could be?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Originally I thought that the green was going to be able to work for both fantasy and Sci fi worlds with just a few adjustments that could be cut and plugged where the GM needed them. Now it looks like there will almost need to be two greens: one for fantasy and another for sci-fi. Of course the basic write-up could be used for both.

My world's universe does already include a mixed fantasy-science fiction-sys-

tem designed by a group of gamers. In their Solabar system the "Elder Races"

(fantasy, use magic, etc.) have retreated to one of the system's planets, and

the "Younger Races" (including humans, use science fiction technology, etc.)

have established their settlements on two other planets of the system.

I first considered this a rather crazy idea, but meanwhile I have played seve-

ral "crossover adventures" with characters from my Pharos IV visiting the So-

labar system, and it worked just fine - the "fantasy creatures" are treated as

"low-tech aliens with strange powers", and I really did not have to change a

lot to make Solabar playable for my SF group.

So, I see no problem at all with The Green becoming predominantly fantasy,

I will doubtless still be able to use and enjoy this setting. And I think that

other SF-GMs will also be able to make the few necessary changes without

serious problems.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

the wondrous city of Asherayne ...

Any thoughts where in the world it could be?

You could put it where Konstantinopel / Byzanz / Istambul was / is in our real

world, turning the Bosporus + Dardanelles into the River Jule, I think.

This would give it a rather central position, which would be fine, since it will

probably become an important adventure site.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I've got Campaign Cartographer 3 which integrates with Fractal Terrains, but not Fractal Terrains itself. It seems like a nice product and it is easy to make maps with CC3 from worlds made with Fractal Terrains (or so I hear - easy is a relative term when used in conjuntion with CC).

I've got the Fractal Terrains now, and will be playing a bit around with it, to see how usefull it is.

A thought about the Sun/Sky Mountain: how about if, instead of sitting there on top of the mountain all day, the Sun God emerges from the 200-mile plus mountain at dawn, sits in his throne, and rises straight up for a few thousand miles until noon, then comes back down again by dusk? That should scorch the nearby lands nicely, keep the mountain short, and preserve 'sunrise/sunset'-type terminonlogy (which I bet people would slip into). The mountain could be a hollow tube - essentially a heat shield.

A vulcano like Olympus Mons works well for this, as allready pointed out. The sun doesn't neccessarily need to rise into the heavens to create the dawn/sunset effect. On his passage up or down the interior of the mountain, the light would gradually increase/decrease, thus producing that effect. If it should fly up into the heavens, think it should have some certain mythos or background reason to do so.

I have visions of cultists watching the sunset much like Times Square on New Year's Eve. Speaking of years, we should probably have some event to differentiate years. Perhaps one day a year the sun sleeps in and lets his son (perhaps a comet/shooting star) do the job?

Do we really need years? We have them here, but are they really needed in a fantasy setting? If no clear seasons occured, time itself would be somewhat blurred, and history would only be marked by great happenings. I find that idea somewhat interesting.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I've got the Fractal Terrains now, and will be playing a bit around with it, to see how usefull it is.

I'd be very interested in getting a copy of some FT output saved to CC3 format just to see what it is like. I have no idea what the options in FT are but I know the two are supposed to play nice together.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Would .WMF/.EMF versions of the map I did in AutoRealm be useful, to import into CC3/FT? Or even it's native ".AuR", or ".AuRX" (XML-style) formats?

I'd be very interested in getting a copy of some FT output saved to CC3 format just to see what it is like. I have no idea what the options in FT are but I know the two are supposed to play nice together.

Fractal Terrains haven't been updated to work with CC3 yet, only CC2. It looks like a really good program for creating believable planets, with lots of adjustment possibilities. It does not look like a good fix for our Sky Mtn. World though (being flat, haveing a central sun, etc.)

Would .WMF/.EMF versions of the map I did in AutoRealm be useful, to import into CC3/FT? Or even it's native ".AuR", or ".AuRX" (XML-style) formats?

It's a nice start to get us going, but I'm not sure how it will work with CC3. I downloaded the program today and I think it has great promise, but I'm not even remotely familiar with it yet - so I'll let Rurik answer that one. :)

SGL.

I don't think AutoRealm exports to a CC usable format unfortunately. CC is a CAD program (hence it's complexity) and if I recall AR only saves as images. I'll see if there is any kind of import filters available but pretty much maps from other programs need to be traced to get into CC as far as I can tell.

Fractal Terrains haven't been updated to work with CC3 yet, only CC2. It looks like a really good program for creating believable planets, with lots of adjustment possibilities. It does not look like a good fix for our Sky Mtn. World though (being flat, haveing a central sun, etc.)

I can take any CC2 format and bring it into CC3. No flat planates - what were they thinking? :shocked:

Okay. Then I'll create a world and send it over (within a week at least!). Any preferences?

No, any random world will do at first, I'm just curious to see what FT outputs so I know what to expect if we go this route (I'd like to see what it outputs even if we don't).

I meant AutoRealm can export in WMF (Windows Metafile) format, or EML or some sort of XML (not just images). If CC can't handle the concept of flat 'worlds', I guess it'd just have to be a plain ordinary map...

I meant AutoRealm can export in WMF (Windows Metafile) format, or EML or some sort of XML (not just images). If CC can't handle the concept of flat 'worlds', I guess it'd just have to be a plain ordinary map...

CC can, but FT cannot. FT thus would not work very well for Sky Mtn. World.

SGL.

None of those are formats that can be imported into CC as far as I can tell (I was just looking for filters of some sort without luck - I'll dig some more in mapping forums but the fact that CC is a CAD based vector mapping program and most cheaper/free/easier to use alternatives are not CAD based means interoperability seems pretty poor).

The easiest method to 'import' an existing map to CC is to save it as an image file and literally trace it in CC.

The easiest method to 'import' an existing map to CC is to save it as an image file and literally trace it in CC.

That's what I did to create it in the first place, tracing the Ptolemy original. It didn't take long. I'd suggest doing that again, rather than tracing mine.