A Yelmalion in the Beast Valley...

Tymophil

Greetings Honored Fathers,

I am currently playing a Yelmalion spear man. My biography has a two years disappearance from the Sun Dome. My GM told be that the most likely area where my character would have disappeared is the Beast Valley. I am unable to find much information on that place...

My first idea was that my character hab been victim of hazing from the noblemen of the elite pikemen of the Yelmalion Templars who scorned a lowly spearman from the militia whio had the impudence to rise from the rank. Most likely, my character stubbornly decided to show them that he could face the challenge.

Now, I would like to know a little more about the Beast Valley to build up the Hazing challenge...

Could you help me ? Please... Pretty please...

Best regards.

You are probably from the Sartar Sun Dome Temple, in that case, as Beast valley is to the south of there.

OK, some history first, then some culture.

About 500 years ago, give or take, there was the Empire of the Wyrms Friends (EWF), a mighty empire that worshipped, emulated or became dragons. They went off to forgotten magical realms and brought back many new, or old, races, including ducks, centaurs, minotaurs and many more. These were used in gladiatorial games, as playthings for the elite and as lovers, slaves and warriors. However, the EWF came to a sticky end as their leaders betrayed them, their captains were killed and a mighty horde came from the West to sack the empire. Then came the Dragonkill. This was when dragons from all ages materialised and killed almost everyone who attacked the EWF, and a large number of EWF citizens in the process. This was the mother of all disasters, if not the grandmother or great-grandmother. The Dragonewts, or the Dragons, or somebody else, as nobody remembers, then built the Crossline, or Death Line, a row of Death Runes that formed a barrier to those who would come from the south and the north. To the north of the southern Crossline was a valley where many of the beasts that had been used as entertainment by the EWF came. One of their number was a mighty Centaur Hero named Ironhoof. He took Beast Valley as his own and made the beast people safe there.

After a couple of centuries, people ventured northwards and resettled the land that is now called Sartar. However, they tended to leave Beast Valley alone, as it was full of monsters. A Hero called Sartar founded his kingdom and made friends with Ironhoof, granting the beasts sovereignty over the land. North of Beast Valley was a ruined temple mto a Sun God of the EWF, and light cultists gravitated there, setting up a new temple. When the sun cultists of Sartar split, many went southwards to the temple and formed a new colony of sun-worshipping Yelmalians in Sun County.

So, that's the history.

Now for the culture of Beast Valley.

It is full of beasts, and beasts are the only ones officially allowed to live there.

Ironhoof the Centaur Hero rules there and sires many children with his herd of mares. Although Ironhoof is a centaur, he does not grant centaurs privileges and they live as one of many races there. Beast Valley is a place of harmony, where everyone lives in an idyllic way, close to nature and friendly to everyone. Nymphs frolick in the hills and valleys, in the waters and caves, befriending the beasts. Minotaurs stride majestically through the woods, greeting the elves and dryads, carrying axes that pose no harm to the trees. Ducks live alongside the ponds and streams of Beast Valley, protected from outside harm. Fauns and Satyrs have their bucolic fun in the pastures and meadows, enticing maidens and nymphs into their special fun. Centaurs roam the pastures, meadows and plains, living in family herds. Fox women giggle from the bushes and wolfmen roam the woods, but both are harmless. Get the picture?

Of course, nothing is what it seems.

This is a Wild Place. There is a Temple called Wild Temple, where the Nymphs and Beasts gather for wild, orgiastic ceremonies to various gods and goddesses of nature and the wilds. They even have blood sacrifices there, on occasion. Humans, except for the occasional Grazelander, are definitely not welcome, as this is a place of Beasts. Centaurs are aloof, Minotaurs are bestial and savage berserkers, satyrs and fauns are seducers of women, fox-women are temptresses of the highest order, wolfmen are savages who eat babies, ducks are outlaws and cowards, but all are united in their distrust of humans and their desire to keep Beast valley ruled by beasts.

Humans who settle there are often killed and eaten. Those who survive do so for several reasons. They are powerful heroes. They are skilled in combat. They have proven themselves to be descended from Beasts. They have proven themselves to be friends of the Beasts. They have been to the Wild Temple and have been accepted there.

Now, if your PC was a victim of hazing and ran away, then he would be considered a coward. Stories about how he lived in Beast Valley would be treated as the tales of a coward, made up to hide the truth.

If your PC was made to go into Beast Valley as part of the Hazing, then was lost, his return might cast the perpetrators in a very bad light indeed, nobles or not.

Was he searching for something in Beast Valley? Maybe an artefact, maybe a lost Templar, maybe the Lost Hawk of a Yelmalian Standard.

Has he returned with someone? An exotic wife, perhaps. A centaur or minotaur travelling companion? An enemy who dogs his tracks. An old girlfriend who won't give up on him, despite being unsuitable to the Templars?

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

You are probably from the Sartar Sun Dome Temple, in that case, as Beast valley is to the south of there.

You guessed right stranger. I come from the blessed lands of the Sun Dome granted to my revered ancestors by the sartarites for their bounty.

OK, some history first, then some culture.

About 500 years ago, give or take, there was the Empire of the Wyrms Friends (EWF), a mighty empire that worshipped, emulated or became dragons. They went off to forgotten magical realms and brought back many new, or old, races, including ducks, centaurs, minotaurs and many more. These were used in gladiatorial games, as playthings for the elite and as lovers, slaves and warriors. However, the EWF came to a sticky end as their leaders betrayed them, their captains were killed and a mighty horde came from the West to sack the empire. Then came the Dragonkill. This was when dragons from all ages materialised and killed almost everyone who attacked the EWF, and a large number of EWF citizens in the process. This was the mother of all disasters, if not the grandmother or great-grandmother. The Dragonewts, or the Dragons, or somebody else, as nobody remembers, then built the Crossline, or Death Line, a row of Death Runes that formed a barrier to those who would come from the south and the north. To the north of the southern Crossline was a valley where many of the beasts that had been used as entertainment by the EWF came. One of their number was a mighty Centaur Hero named Ironhoof. He took Beast Valley as his own and made the beast people safe there.

After a couple of centuries, people ventured northwards and resettled the land that is now called Sartar. However, they tended to leave Beast Valley alone, as it was full of monsters. A Hero called Sartar founded his kingdom and made friends with Ironhoof, granting the beasts sovereignty over the land. North of Beast Valley was a ruined temple mto a Sun God of the EWF, and light cultists gravitated there, setting up a new temple. When the sun cultists of Sartar split, many went southwards to the temple and formed a new colony of sun-worshipping Yelmalians in Sun County.

So, that's the history.

Now for the culture of Beast Valley.

It is full of beasts, and beasts are the only ones officially allowed to live there.

Ironhoof the Centaur Hero rules there and sires many children with his herd of mares. Although Ironhoof is a centaur, he does not grant centaurs privileges and they live as one of many races there. Beast Valley is a place of harmony, where everyone lives in an idyllic way, close to nature and friendly to everyone. Nymphs frolick in the hills and valleys, in the waters and caves, befriending the beasts. Minotaurs stride majestically through the woods, greeting the elves and dryads, carrying axes that pose no harm to the trees. Ducks live alongside the ponds and streams of Beast Valley, protected from outside harm. Fauns and Satyrs have their bucolic fun in the pastures and meadows, enticing maidens and nymphs into their special fun. Centaurs roam the pastures, meadows and plains, living in family herds. Fox women giggle from the bushes and wolfmen roam the woods, but both are harmless. Get the picture?

Of course, nothing is what it seems.

This is a Wild Place. There is a Temple called Wild Temple, where the Nymphs and Beasts gather for wild, orgiastic ceremonies to various gods and goddesses of nature and the wilds. They even have blood sacrifices there, on occasion. Humans, except for the occasional Grazelander, are definitely not welcome, as this is a place of Beasts. Centaurs are aloof, Minotaurs are bestial and savage berserkers, satyrs and fauns are seducers of women, fox-women are temptresses of the highest order, wolfmen are savages who eat babies, ducks are outlaws and cowards, but all are united in their distrust of humans and their desire to keep Beast valley ruled by beasts.

Humans who settle there are often killed and eaten. Those who survive do so for several reasons. They are powerful heroes. They are skilled in combat. They have proven themselves to be descended from Beasts. They have proven themselves to be friends of the Beasts. They have been to the Wild Temple and have been accepted there.

May I ask where this information comes from ? What I have gathered are just very short paragraphs here and there.

Now, if your PC was a victim of hazing and ran away, then he would be considered a coward. Stories about how he lived in Beast Valley would be treated as the tales of a coward, made up to hide the truth.

If your PC was made to go into Beast Valley as part of the Hazing, then was lost, his return might cast the perpetrators in a very bad light indeed, nobles or not.

This could be a mix of both. Some would simply not believe his tales, while others would be ashed by his achievement and get angry after him. He could also have developed a kind of despise for those you gave him the task. Finally, he could feel uneasy about having rocked the boat and shaken the stability of the Templar hierarchy.

Was he searching for something in Beast Valley? Maybe an artefact, maybe a lost Templar, maybe the Lost Hawk of a Yelmalian Standard.

Can you tell me more about the Lost Hawk of a Yelmalian Standard ? Why the capitals ?

Has he returned with someone? An exotic wife, perhaps. A centaur or minotaur travelling companion? An enemy who dogs his tracks. An old girlfriend who won't give up on him, despite being unsuitable to the Templars?

I envision my character as a loner, so it doesn't seem an option...

What I envisioned was something along those lines...

The Templars of the Sun Dome who are of noble ascent have a sort a ritualized hazing where a rookie is given an impossible task linked with the Beast Valley. This serves the purpose of keeping the best, most honoured ranks, within the military order to the nobility.

My character does recognize the impossibility of the task. But, in a kind of foolish move, and because he understands the true nature of the hazing, he tries to emulate Yelmalio and sets on this desperate quest to the Beast Valley, seeking to perform the task anyway. It takes two long years to accomplish (I don't yet know the level of achievement he reached) the deed, and then he returns... In the process, he is changed by his quest so much that belonging to the Templars is not a GOAL any more. It is rather a MEAN to be transcended in order to get my closer to the glory of Yelmalio.

So he goes adventuring on the first occasion offered...

May I ask where this information comes from ? What I have gathered are just very short paragraphs here and there.

Mainly from reading about Glorantha for 30 years. :)

RQ2 had a fair bit about Beast Valley and I am sure that the Wild Temple was written up in one of the fanzines ages ago. The stuff about the EWF and Crossline is well-documented, in fact there is a place called Stone Cross that is part of the old CrossLine. Ironhoof is a Gloranthan Hero and ruler of Beast Valley, he is mentioned a bit in King of Sartar. The rest is extrapolated from information that I know about the Beastmen, mixed in with the way that I like to play/run them.

Can you tell me more about the Lost Hawk of a Yelmalian Standard ? Why the capitals ?

I like capitals. The Lost Hawk is a reference to the locating of the Eagle of the Ninth Legion in Roman Britain, based on the Eagle of the Ninth books by Rosemary Sutcliffe. It's just an idea that the Templars lost a standard and need to get it back, I used Hawk rather than Eagle as hawks are Yelmalian birds whereas eagles are Yelm's birds.

I envision my character as a loner, so it doesn't seem an option...

What I envisioned was something along those lines...

The Templars of the Sun Dome who are of noble ascent have a sort a ritualized hazing where a rookie is given an impossible task linked with the Beast Valley. This serves the purpose of keeping the best, most honoured ranks, within the military order to the nobility.

My character does recognize the impossibility of the task. But, in a kind of foolish move, and because he understands the true nature of the hazing, he tries to emulate Yelmalio and sets on this desperate quest to the Beast Valley, seeking to perform the task anyway. It takes two long years to accomplish (I don't yet know the level of achievement he reached) the deed, and then he returns... In the process, he is changed by his quest so much that belonging to the Templars is not a GOAL any more. It is rather a MEAN to be transcended in order to get my closer to the glory of Yelmalio.

So he goes adventuring on the first occasion offered...

OK, that makes sense. So, he goes off on the impossible task and returns 2 years later, having achieved the task. The Templars see w#him as being AWOL for 2 years, but because he has completed the hazing and brought back what they wanted, they say "Oh, right, thanks for that" and let him rejoin the Templars. Rather underwhelmed by their reaction, the PC would feel used, unappreciated, undervalued and would seek the first chance to escape the Templar life. After all, with 2 years experience under his belt, does he need to train/serve with the Templars?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

I like capitals. The Lost Hawk is a reference to the locating of the Eagle of the Ninth Legion in Roman Britain, based on the Eagle of the Ninth books by Rosemary Sutcliffe. It's just an idea that the Templars lost a standard and need to get it back, I used Hawk rather than Eagle as hawks are Yelmalian birds whereas eagles are Yelm's birds.

Thanks alot ! That's an amazing idea ! I will ask my GM about this. This Hawk could be just that : a military emblema. But it could be something different... Maybe the name of a tactic lost with the death of his creator at the hand of the Beasts. Or a mystical thing, a ritual, etc. And maybe a mix of it all...

That's just what I needed !!!

Thanks a bunch.

Okay,

I have come with the concept of a lost Hawk in the Beast valley. This Hawk was lost by a group of Yelmalion mercenaries who protected some Orlanthis within the Beast Valley. The Orlanthis wanted to perform a sacred ritual that lasted about a week in a place well within the valley. Of course the inhabitants of the place did not want humans to roam that freely their lands. So the Yelmalions had to fight to protect the pilgrims.

The Hawk was lost when the Yelmalions rear guard made a last stand to protect the pilgrims and the rest of the phalanx.

My character did not get much information about the expedition within the Sun Dome county. A defeat is never gladly remembered. So he set about his quest by going back to the Orlanthi community that engaged the mercenaries decades ago.

Now I have a problem... Is there such a community near the Sun Dome county? Is there such a place within the Beast Valley? What kind of guidelines could I use to avoid being “off tracks” in Glorantha?

In fact the whole concept of my character revolves around this lost Hawk. I envision something like an innovative Yelmalion that created a new tactic. This strategist made the Templars less glorious than some supporting troops with less prestige. In doing so, he shook the Sun Dome county society to its base and was betrayed by the Templars, losing his life and his emblem. My character would try to find all about the lost Hawk. Then he might expose the betrayal, severing some bounds with the traditions of his homeland, only to find out that there are better ways to serve Yelmalio. Amending our ways and laws to get closer to the perfection of a Yelm system of laws...

I would also like to know if an initiate of Yelmalio can only restore his divine magic in the Sun Dome of the county. Are there of temples of Yelmalio in Sartar of the Holy Country? Is it possible to have such a bound with Yelmalio that an initiate could restore his divine magic at certain places and moments that are outside temples? For example, by fasting at certain moments, then praying when the sun rises...

I have come with the concept of a lost Hawk in the Beast valley. This Hawk was lost by a group of Yelmalion mercenaries who protected some Orlanthis within the Beast Valley. The Orlanthis wanted to perform a sacred ritual that lasted about a week in a place well within the valley. Of course the inhabitants of the place did not want humans to roam that freely their lands. So the Yelmalions had to fight to protect the pilgrims.

The Hawk was lost when the Yelmalions rear guard made a last stand to protect the pilgrims and the rest of the phalanx.

Sounds reasonable.

My character did not get much information about the expedition within the Sun Dome county. A defeat is never gladly remembered. So he set about his quest by going back to the Orlanthi community that engaged the mercenaries decades ago.

Now I have a problem... Is there such a community near the Sun Dome county? Is there such a place within the Beast Valley? What kind of guidelines could I use to avoid being “off tracks” in Glorantha?

Probably not within Beast Valley, as they don't like humans on their land.

However, Beast Valley is nested between Sartar and the Holy Country, both of which have loads of Orlanthi around. You could have Orlanthi communities in the hills around Beast Valley on both sides, probably in the hills and mountains.

In fact the whole concept of my character revolves around this lost Hawk. I envision something like an innovative Yelmalion that created a new tactic. This strategist made the Templars less glorious than some supporting troops with less prestige. In doing so, he shook the Sun Dome county society to its base and was betrayed by the Templars, losing his life and his emblem. My character would try to find all about the lost Hawk. Then he might expose the betrayal, severing some bounds with the traditions of his homeland, only to find out that there are better ways to serve Yelmalio. Amending our ways and laws to get closer to the perfection of a Yelm system of laws...

Again, that sounds reasonable. One of the tricky things about innovation is that it might step on people's toes. Sure, they are more efficient and better fighters, but it isn't what we were taught by all the generals before us.

I would also like to know if an initiate of Yelmalio can only restore his divine magic in the Sun Dome of the county. Are there of temples of Yelmalio in Sartar of the Holy Country? Is it possible to have such a bound with Yelmalio that an initiate could restore his divine magic at certain places and moments that are outside temples? For example, by fasting at certain moments, then praying when the sun rises...

Th Sun Dome Temples marked on the maps are Great temples to Yelmalio. These are the massive cathedrals, the cult centres, the hub of the Yelmalian Templars. You can pray back any Yelmalian spells at such temples. However, there are many more smaller Yelmalian temples and shrines. The ones in balazar are minor temples, the one in Pavis is a minor temple, the one in Alda Chur is probably a Major Temple. I would expect most Orlanthi clans to have shrines to Elmal, which isn't quite the same. but some might have Yelmalian shrines. Temples to Ernalda might have shrines to Yelmalio, as he is a Husband Protector.

Holy Spots could be used to repray magic, as can artefacts, as they act as shrines. RQ3 had the Sactify divine spell, I think, that allowed you to create a temporary shrine if necessary.

Theee Sun Dome Temples marked on the maps are Great temples to Yelmalio. These are the massive cathedrals, the cult centres, the hub of the Yelmalian Templars. You can pray back any Yelmalian spells at such temples. However, there are many more smaller Yelmalian temples and shrines. The ones in balazar are minor temples, the one in Pavis is a minor temple, the one in Alda Chur is probably a Major Temple. I would expect most Orlanthi clans to have shrines to Elmal, which isn't quite the same. but some might have Yelmalian shrines. Temples to Ernalda might have shrines to Yelmalio, as he is a Husband Protector.

Holy Spots could be used to repray magic, as can artefacts, as they act as shrines. RQ3 had the Sactify divine spell, I think, that allowed you to create a temporary shrine if necessary.

As I feared my GM doesn't allow to pray outside dedicated shrines, and seems to think that Yelmalio is only revered in Sun Dome influenced regions such as the county in Sartar and the one in Prax.

We travelled from Sartar to the Holy Country, then as far as Karss (not sure of the spelling, my charcater is said to be a barbarian, even though I did not envisionned Yelmalion in this way, so he cannot read nor write) and encountered no shrine to Yelmalio.

If things do not change, I fear that the whole concept of my lonely questing Yelmalion will be unplayable. So far, we've seen temples and shrines dedicated to Orlanth and other gods of his kin. Even Ernalda temples do not show sign of Yelmalio shrine, and my character is mocked when he states that Ernalda is the wife or Yelmalio. Elmal is antagonistic to Yelmalio in those lands, so there is not even a faint chance that my character will be able to regain his divine magic any soon...

Are there any Yelmalian communities outside the Sun Domes vicinity ?

As I feared my GM doesn't allow to pray outside dedicated shrines, and seems to think that Yelmalio is only revered in Sun Dome influenced regions such as the county in Sartar and the one in Prax.

He's right. of course, especially in his game.

We travelled from Sartar to the Holy Country, then as far as Karss (not sure of the spelling, my charcater is said to be a barbarian, even though I did not envisionned Yelmalion in this way, so he cannot read nor write) and encountered no shrine to Yelmalio.

Not every community would have a Yelmalian shrine. In fact, PCs/Adventurers often have to travel to repray spells at a temple, often for several weeks.

In RQ, Barbarian is a culture type, not a statement of personality. So, many the people of Dragon pass are barbarians. Yelmalians could be called civilised, but they are probably more likely to be barbarians. After all, they live in villages dotted around Sun County, not in great cities.

If things do not change, I fear that the whole concept of my lonely questing Yelmalion will be unplayable. So far, we've seen temples and shrines dedicated to Orlanth and other gods of his kin. Even Ernalda temples do not show sign of Yelmalio shrine, and my character is mocked when he states that Ernalda is the wife or Yelmalio. Elmal is antagonistic to Yelmalio in those lands, so there is not even a faint chance that my character will be able to regain his divine magic any soon...

Elmal is antagonistic to Yelmalio as they are rivals for worshippers and both represent similar concepts. Elmal thinks Yelmalio is a Dara Happan upstart muscling into his territory. Yelmalio thinks Elmal is a barbarian rebel, playing at being a sun god.

Orlanthi know that Orlanth is the husband of Ernalda, so they could rightly mock anyone who says differently.

Ernaldans also know that Orlanth is Ernalda's husband. However, priestesses and acolytes might know that Ernalda had many husbands, including Yelmalio.

Are there any Yelmalian communities outside the Sun Domes vicinity ?

Dykene has a temple in Balazar. Aldachur should have a temple as it is full of Yelmalians. The Grazers might have a shrine to Yelmalio, depending if your GM has them worship just the Pure Horse Pantheon or allows some foreign solar deities.

Elves worship yelmalio, so you might find a Yelmalio shrine in the elf woods.