Sorcerers Breathing Fire

1000buffalo

So, one of my players is running an elven sorcerer. As a player, he loves fire magic. It's his thing. He's rolling with the Magic World sorcery, but Flames of the Sun is not going to cut it for him in the long run. Especially with the one round of casting requirement.

Our prior campaign had been GURPS Harn, and his mage had several fire spells - his absolute favorite shtick was breathing fire.

I was giving it some thought to the other day (and luckily got some consultation from Mr. Monroe) on how to solve this and give the PC some more awesome. I want to work within the Magic World framework - there's some spells I could use from the BGB, but I'd like to avoid that.

Pulling from the upcoming Advanced Sorcery (or the old Bronze Grimoire), I'm thinking summoning and binding a demon with the burn ability is a way to solve this. A personal binding (1 POW) of a minor demon, with some glitz. Mainly, he's bound into a tongue on the sorcerer's tongue. The demon will have a requirement of being fed paper every day (which the PC must eat, but the demon consumes before it's swallowed). The sorcerer can access the burn ability for 8 MP, the action taking place on DEX rank. The sorcerer cannot cast a spell at the same time as breathing fire.

BURN - Radiates a cylinder of heat doing fire damage of 1D6+2 per round to a single target: the target needs a successful Luck roll to avoid igniting clothing and hair, as per game system fire damage. Because metal transmits heat, ordinary armor helps blocks this damage only for the first round of the attack. This ability is fixed: eight magic points for 80 percent chance and an eight-yard range.

Thoughts, or other ideas?

i was actually going to text you about this earlier, but life got in the way. Another way to do this would be to build a few custom spells for him using the "Powers" in the BGB.

It's a poorly-guarded secret that the demon abilities in SB4, which were the prelude to those in Elric!, were created by making up little clusters of powers/disads using the Superworld rules. The "CV" cost of those powers is the end result of building them with the Superworld system.

So, one way to do it would to be give Gary a budget of points to spend, and just let him make up his own powers using those rules.

Failing that, maybe look at "Deep Magic" in AS?

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

It's a poorly-guarded secret that the demon abilities in SB4, which were the prelude to those in Elric!, were created by making up little clusters of powers/disads using the Superworld rules. The "CV" cost of those powers is the end result of building them with the Superworld system.

And finally the secret behind the mystical Chaos Value is revealed!

It is said, that high in the Copper Mountains there is a clearing near a small brook that contains the three Initiation Stela of the Copper Pyromancers. These three large stones are covered with glyphs written in the ancient language now called Flame Tongue, and they contain the basic spells that an initiate would need to demonstrate before being allowed to advance as a pyromancer. Further, it is said that these spells are Ignite, Breath of Flame, and Strengthen Fire. Now if rubbings of these glyphs were made and taken to Daricus the Younger, who frequently does business in Shillingshead (look for him at either the taverns or the Sorcerers Guild Hall), for a fee he could translate them. Of course, it would be difficult to find the stela, unless one could convince the Fishsinger to “ask the river” with her magic, the location of this fabled clearing – but I have heard that the Fishsinger has recently died – so that path must be closed to you…

Ignite (1 MP)

For the duration of the spell a small flame extends from the casters finger tips which can be used to ignite candles, start a camp fire, or even an emergency light. It could deliver 1 HP of damage as a weapon, but since any sudden move of the casters hand is likely to extinguish the flame, it is seldom used to harm others (Agility roll per round if the caster is attacking with the flame, just to keep it from going out – normal mechanics to hit).

Breath of Flame (2 MP)

This spell is resolved on the Action phase of the round it is cast! It allows the caster to breath out a burst of flame that delivers 1D10 damage to a target. The caster must make an Agility roll to hit a combatant, who can dodge or block with a shield normally. (Treat this as 2 MP to make a 1D10 attack with AGL x 5 as the skill level – nice but not overpowering).

Strengthen Fire (4 MP)

This is the pyromancers name for Chain of Being.

It is said, that high in the Copper Mountains there is a clearing near a small brook that contains the three Initiation Stela of the Copper Pyromancers. These three large stones are covered with glyphs written in the ancient language now called Flame Tongue, and they contain the basic spells that an initiate would need to demonstrate before being allowed to advance as a pyromancer. Further, it is said that these spells are Ignite, Breath of Flame, and Strengthen Fire. Now if rubbings of these glyphs were made and taken to Daricus the Younger, who frequently does business in Shillingshead (look for him at either the taverns or the Sorcerers Guild Hall), for a fee he could translate them. Of course, it would be difficult to find the stela, unless one could convince the Fishsinger to “ask the river” with her magic, the location of this fabled clearing – but I have heard that the Fishsinger has recently died – so that path must be closed to you…

Ignite (1 MP)

For the duration of the spell a small flame extends from the casters finger tips which can be used to ignite candles, start a camp fire, or even an emergency light. It could deliver 1 HP of damage as a weapon, but since any sudden move of the casters hand is likely to extinguish the flame, it is seldom used to harm others (Agility roll per round if the caster is attacking with the flame, just to keep it from going out – normal mechanics to hit).

Breath of Flame (2 MP)

This spell is resolved on the Action phase of the round it is cast! It allows the caster to breath out a burst of flame that delivers 1D10 damage to a target. The caster must make an Agility roll to hit a combatant, who can dodge or block with a shield normally. (Treat this as 2 MP to make a 1D10 attack with AGL x 5 as the skill level – nice but not overpowering).

Strengthen Fire (4 MP)

This is the pyromancers name for Chain of Being.

This rocks on many levels - thanks! Perfect, and well integrated.

And, of course, the inside joke for others is that the PC in question is investigating the disappearance of said Fishsinger ... :)

Nice!

Brian, these spells look good, and give a neat little side quest for Gary's PC.

Yes, indeed! I thought your solution was insightful, but my preference was to stay "inside" Magic World without pulling in BRP master resources or letting Gary pick and make powers. I want to reinforce the sorcery-ish-ness of it. :)