Showing some respect TO Mr Monroe

Dyvim Matt

I finally bought Magic World this week-end, and I am happy to say I was very pleased.

I confess I have popped up on threads, here and on rpg.net, for no other purpose than to ask if Magic World was getting published already, and I must say it was worth the wait! My only complaint is that the stuff I am really looking for will be in Advanced Sorcery, so, yeah, will Advanced Sorcery be published already? :P

I have wanted to make a BRP adaptation of HârnWorld for a long while, but I find the Southern Reaches game world quite intriguing. Are there any plans for additional material on the setting?

Proud pen-and-paper roleplayer since 1991!

Blood and Souls for Lord Arioch!

There's a setting book on a small-ish area of the SR in the works right now (imagine something like a hybrid of "Keep on the Borderlands" and "VIllage of Hommelet" for AD&D). The source material is going through the final draft, and the scenarios are under way. SHould be a great little book.

There's also a bit of Southern Reaches content in the Chronicler's Guide.

After that, who knows? If the setting is popular enough, and the game does well, there's a good chance the setting will be developed further. I've spoken to some guys about doing a campaign pack set in the Reaches, and I've got some other ideas as well. It's really just a matter of waiting to see if folks like it enough to keep working on it.

Personally, I'd love to see a full gazetteer of the setting, ala the excellent "Val Du Loup" monograph.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I have wanted to make a BRP adaptation of HârnWorld for a long while, but I find the Southern Reaches game world quite intriguing. Are there any plans for additional material on the setting?

That's funny. I just wrapped up a Hârn (GURPS) game with my players to start the Magic World / Southern Reaches campaign. The settings actually have (or can have) a lot in common.

That's funny. I just wrapped up a Hârn (GURPS) game with my players to start the Magic World / Southern Reaches campaign. The settings actually have (or can have) a lot in common.

Yeah, small world! ;)

HârnMaster used to be our main game when I was in high school. My brother ran a HM campaign last year, and this year I thought I would run one as well. I'm doing fine, but I sure have problems managing all the rules. I keep wondering how I could make it simpler, like, you know, something like BRP... :P

Also, I am Mr. Monroe's GM. I am contractually obligated to show him only grudging respect while at the table, and even then only enough to coax his return to the game ...

He's an awesome player, btw. Who else texts his GM during a grim encounter to say "Don't forget the poison breath". ;)

My only complaint is

Cats.

Oh yes, dogs are there sure. Those mangy, stanky, droolly dogs are present in the book. But the most noble of the animal kingdom? The graceful, nay regal feline? Are they present in this most distinguished tome?

NO! What have you to say Mr. Benjamin Monroe sir!

70/420

It's obvious that some of those old tombs in the Southern Reaches simply must contain ancient mecha and their freeze-dried pilots. Unfortunately, the PCs' defeat of a great wyrm by dumping it down an equally ancient well have cracked the water table and reconstituted said pilots.

(Hey, we gotta get science fiction in there somehow!) ;)

It's obvious that some of those old tombs in the Southern Reaches simply must contain ancient mecha and their freeze-dried pilots. Unfortunately, the PCs' defeat of a great wyrm by dumping it down an equally ancient well have cracked the water table and reconstituted said pilots.

(Hey, we gotta get science fiction in there somehow!) ;)

Better yet, there's a Gate connecting it to the Third Terran Empire (of Future*World).

Better yet, there's a Gate connecting it to the Third Terran Empire (of Future*World).

Which would be a problem for the Terrans since their force field packs defend against physical and physics-based energy attacks but not necessarily against magical ones (and they have no knowledge or memory of real magic -- Age of Reason and all that).

The Magic Worlders might fare worse if they reached Outpost 19's Gate Warden universe, since instant transport there is possible via apparently mystical means. I mean, you've got a coven of masked, hooded dudes (we assume they are dudes, they could be anything under those costumes) that do their version of the Hokey Pokey before the away team can get away. Stargate's Val Kilmer would have really freaked out if he'd had to endure that!

Edited by seneschal
Add comment

I can see how the Terrans might be caught off guard by Sorcery at first, but it's only a matter of time before a sorceror is captured and the secret is tortured out from him. Or, some rogue sorcerors join the Terran forces and work their magic in exchange for protection. Either way, the Terrans are now on an equal footing with the people of the Southern Reaches in terms of sorcery, and of course, since orbital strike beats rock, the Southern Reaches are in deep trouble...

Oh, and about that gate... what are the odds that, while all of the above is happening, the Fey are seeping through it?

I don't know about you guys, but I think we have a campaign. Sorry Mr Monroe, but your Southern Reaches are going down in flames... >:>