Renaissance Settings

doomedpc

Or Aztecs without Conquistadores. It would require lots of meticulous research to get this right. The only decent historical Aztec setting ever done in an RPG was GURPS Aztecs. If anyone can pull this off it's Cakebread & Walton.

I agree, and could easily be a continent in their Renaissance setting.

In fact if they wanted to I guess they could actually make it a whole Aztec world, each solar system they create could be encased in its own little shell like Renaissance :)

I agree, and could easily be a continent in their Renaissance setting.

In fact if they wanted to I guess they could actually make it a whole Aztec world, each solar system they create could be encased in its own little shell like Renaissance :)

I'm personally more interested in a history-based Aztec setting, than a loosely pre-columbian/Aztec-based fantasy setting, of which there are already a few around. This could still have magic, but it would have to be historically and culturally appropriate magic.

Like I said though, the nature of the subject (fragmentory and sometimes contradictory historical and academic source material) would make this particularly difficult to pull off. An interesting and slightly less daunting alternative would be to set it in the early colonial times of Nueva España, upto about halfway the 17th century.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

Like I said though, the nature of the subject (fragmentory and sometimes contradictory historical and academic source material) would make this particularly difficult to pull off. An interesting and slightly less daunting alternative would be to set it in the early colonial times of Nueva España, upto about halfway the 17th century.

The trick with contradictory historical and academic source material is to ignore it. This is a game and supplements are not theses.

However, you could include the contradictory elements as points of view, notes in the text or just setting weirdness.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

@doomedpc Have you ever considered doing an early Old West game, say 1830s-1850s?

The trick with contradictory historical and academic source material is to ignore it. This is a game and supplements are not theses.

However, you could include the contradictory elements as points of view, notes in the text or just setting weirdness.

The trick is to come up with something that's actually playable in spite of contradictory or fragmentary sources, at which GURPS Aztecs succeeded admirably.

Or Incas and conquistadores, sun-powered mechanical condors and mysterious cities of gold...

Incas would be even more difficult to get "right" than Aztecs.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

Although I'd like to see Aztec/Inca/Maya/Olmec sourcebooks, another role-playing challenge is that the Aztecs, at least, weren't nice people. The Aztec Empire was so oppressive that conquered rival nations flocked to the Spanish Conquistadors as the kinder, gentler alternative. =O

The Aztecs take the place of your fantasy "Evil Empire". Players are members of smaller kingdoms and tribes fighting against Aztec hegemony.

Related topic - the New Fire RPG just went on sale today. I don't much about this one apart from some pretty cool art and Aztec influence.

Although I'd like to see Aztec/Inca/Maya/Olmec sourcebooks, another role-playing challenge is that the Aztecs, at least, weren't nice people. The Aztec Empire was so oppressive that conquered rival nations flocked to the Spanish Conquistadors as the kinder, gentler alternative. =O

The Triple Alliance of the Mexihca (= Aztec "Empire") was doing the same as everybody else, they were just more successful at it. Their enemies siding with the Spanish had little to do with it being the kinder, gentler alternative. They were just forging an alliance that seemed advantageous and the Spanish were probably quite persuasive.

Aztec Empire = evil, IMHO would be uninteresting and simplistic and would take away lots of a 16th century Mesoamerican setting's distinct flavour and appeal.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

@doomedpc Have you ever considered doing an early Old West game, say 1830s-1850s?

Yes, but we've only ever discussed it briefly. At the time we figured that there would be better people to do it than us and that there's already a fair few games out there (although most, from memory and judging by my own collection, set a little later). On the other hand, I am very interested in the era and the amount of research I've already done would give us a bit of a head start - I wargame the Old West, and I'm the kind of saddo that always reads a mountain of books before I invest in a new mini collection.

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

Yes, but we've only ever discussed it briefly. At the time we figured that there would be better people to do it than us and that there's already a fair few games out there (although most, from memory and judging by my own collection, set a little later). On the other hand, I am very interested in the era and the amount of research I've already done would give us a bit of a head start - I wargame the Old West, and I'm the kind of saddo that always reads a mountain of books before I invest in a new mini collection.

Indeed, Western games are usually set post-Civil War. Nothing wrong with that, but the early period hasn't been covered often, in spite of offering loads of excellent opportunities for adventure, possibly even more so than the post-Civil War era. Given the quality I've seen of your products so far, this would be an instant buy for me ;).

Edited by Vorax Transtellaris
RPGbericht (Dutch)

An obvious but overlooked setting would be Renaissance Italy. The political and papal intrigue. The lntercity-state wars. The arts and learning. I think it's highly underused setting.
This would definitely be a great setting for intrigue, and it would make good use of the Factions rules too I suspect. You could even throw in the Mythos on top of it to jazz it up perhaps

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

An obvious but overlooked setting would be Renaissance Italy. The political and papal intrigue. The lntercity-state wars. The arts and learning. I think it's highly underused setting.

Absolutely. The Italian Wars were fought by many of the European powers of the time, the two main antagonists being France and Spain/the Holy Roman Empire. From an rpg point of view, the flowering of Christian neoplatic Hermeticism might make of it a magic rich setting, in which magicians seek the intercession of demons, angels or lesser "spirits" to influence reality (real world magic never was anything like D&D magic or "sufficiently advanced technology"; renaissance "learned" magic is also to be distinguished sharply from witchcraft, that was very uncommon in Italy).

Edited by MatteoN

This would definitely be a great setting for intrigue, and it would make good use of the Factions rules too I suspect. You could even throw in the Mythos on top of it to jazz it up perhaps

I don't know, man. As much as I'm a fan of the Cthulhu Mythos I'm not particularly fond of mixing it in with each and every setting.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

Just an idea. I love the Mythos stuff, but yeah, it'ld lose impact if it was with every setting. History has its far share of real human monsters anyway, no need to go looking into the Mythos to find adversaries...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Plus, if you research the people and customs of any given era or location you'll find real people doing crazier things than you could ever dream up on your own. The scenarios just sort of write themselves after that.

For example, in the "early West" period of 1815 through, say, 1830-ish, the United States and Great Britain nearly went to war a couple more times. Warships and tensions on the Great Lakes, skullduggery going on along the border with Canada, would-be Canadian liberators fleeing to the U.S. and trying to recruit help for an independence movement, naval ventures all over the globe, Russia telling the U.S. and Great Britain to keep their noses out of the Northwestern Coast. What nearly happened (but didn't) could fuel a campaign.

• 4 months later...

If we can steer away from strictly black powder era, a Mexican Revolution setting would be "teh awesome". A close second would be the Mexican War of Independance, which is somewhat closer to the default period for Renaissance. AFAIK none of these has been done before very often.

I'm somewhat of a Mexicophile, can you tell? ;)

Mexico had/has got some nice folk beliefs going to add a touch of magic and/or horror.

• Like 1
RPGbericht (Dutch)

If we can steer away from strictly black powder era, a Mexican Revolution setting would be "teh awesome". A close second would be the Mexican War of Independance, which is somewhat closer to the default period for Renaissance. AFAIK none of these has been done before very often.

I'm somewhat of a Mexicophile, can you tell? ;)

Mexico had/has got some nice folk beliefs going to add a touch of magic and/or horror.

Which Mexican revolution ? There's been several....

EDIT: I'm assuming you're talking about the 1910 one Villa, Zapata etc etc

Which Mexican revolution ? There's been several....

EDIT: I'm assuming you're talking about the 1910 one Villa, Zapata etc etc

Obviously the series of uprisings and conflicts commonly referred to as The Mexican Revolution, 1910-20, sometimes referred to as the Mexican Civil War. Which other conflicts have you seen referred to as a revolution in Mexico?

RPGbericht (Dutch)

I'm not sure if it would be too niche, but I do know the period pretty well... And writing a scenario where you get to meet Zapata and Villa? You're playing unfair by appealing to my weak spots.

Well, not being British, I think the clockwork English civil war is pretty niche, perhaps more so than the Mexican Revolution.

I think the somewhat romanticized adventurous flavour of the period would lend itself well for an RPG adaptation. Perhaps taking the more cinematic approach of Pirates & Dragons would be fitting. It's goods to know we share some weak spots and I'll try to appeal to them more often so expect some not quite subliminal messages. ;)

mexican-rebels-2.gif

• Like 1
RPGbericht (Dutch)

Obviously the series of uprisings and conflicts commonly referred to as The Mexican Revolution, 1910-20, sometimes referred to as the Mexican Civil War. Which other conflicts have you seen referred to as a revolution in Mexico?

Well, I've seen the Maximilian war referred to as a revolution with the Juaristas called revolutionaries. Also there were various uprisings either side of the 1910-20 one. Obviously that's the big one though.