"Magic & Social Structure: A Magic-Based Society" by David Dunham

Is the article in Different Worlds #36 "Magic & Social Structure: A Magic-Based Society" by David Dunham worth reading? I was hoping to glean something from it for Magic World.

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

Are you using the default Magic World setting, out of?curiosity

Its better to use the bit of setting provided, but that doesn't stop me from expanding on it, or even changing some part of it. After all, there is some leeway in the setting anyway, like the phenomenon behind Cruach for example. I like the idea of Mithran Beleghir, a king tutored in magic by the elves, and would like some ideas on a society where magic of the elvish type is something that brings high status, or is something that the high in that society actively seek out to emulate their king.

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

Its better to use the bit of setting provided, but that doesn't stop me from expanding on it, or even changing some part of it.

I'm not sure using the Southern reaches is better or worse than any other compatible setting. In my case I have so many setting ideas in my head I'd probably start with my own and add elements from the Southern Reaches (e.g. rival lords, eldritch fey, a port city).

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

I only asked because these things vary by settings.

In a general sense, sorcery has a limited buy in. You need POW 16 to be a sorcerer. Therefore, those who can cast spells enjoy a bit of notoriety. Additionally, those who can keep sorcerers on retainer also get a social bump since they are influential enough to keep a pet sorcerer or two.

As far as the sorcerer themselves go, it depends on what they can do. In general, sorcery spells are not devastating. They have a very narrow focus of effect. For the most part they are not permanent or even have a very long duration.

Drum and Beleghir undoubtable prize different types of spells. I think it's fair though to say that the inhabitant's alliances with both the dwarves and the elves respectively have imparted some amount of sorcerous knowledge amongst the populace.

70/420

I'm not sure using the Southern reaches is better or worse than any other compatible setting. In my case I have so many setting ideas in my head I'd probably start with my own and add elements from the Southern Reaches (e.g. rival lords, eldritch fey, a port city).

It is better for me to start with the Southern Reaches. In the past I have made up whole continents, drawn maps and written histories for my games, but I don't have the luxury of lots of time any more. The Southern Reaches is a good place to start, but if my scenarios last long enough they will need an expanded area. Which is why I'm on the lookout for monographs like Lords of Tarsa, which looks like it could be tacked onto the Southern Reaches with minimal effort.

I only asked because these things vary by settings.

In a general sense, sorcery has a limited buy in. You need POW 16 to be a sorcerer. Therefore, those who can cast spells enjoy a bit of notoriety. Additionally, those who can keep sorcerers on retainer also get a social bump since they are influential enough to keep a pet sorcerer or two.

As far as the sorcerer themselves go, it depends on what they can do. In general, sorcery spells are not devastating. They have a very narrow focus of effect. For the most part they are not permanent or even have a very long duration.

Drum and Beleghir undoubtable prize different types of spells. I think it's fair though to say that the inhabitant's alliances with both the dwarves and the elves respectively have imparted some amount of sorcerous knowledge amongst the populace.

Lets not forget that the reprinted Elric! Advanced Sorcery rules may become available soon for this setting, and with them comes the possiblity of some remarkable spellcasting feats. Which leads to foreshadowing in scenarios so that my players should have heard tales of mighty mages and wonderful wizards that can perform thaumaturgy beyond the normal levels.