BRP Mecha interview

Yesterday I had a Q&A about BRP Mecha and other games on the rpg.net irc channel. Here is the transcript:

The Hardboiled GMshoe's Office: [Q&A] Paolo Guccione (BRP Mecha, et al)

Cool!

Sadly, I'll have to wait the end of June to order my copy.

Paolo, if you're comfortable with the superhero rules of the BGB, I suggest you put together in a little pdf some guidelines for fast and easy creation of some common japanese superheroes ("the cybernetic martial-artist", "the power-armored samurai", "the giant hero"...), as a free bonus for people who want some more anime/tokusatsu funkiness in their BRP Mecha games. ;D

For the most part I never got into mecha anime, but ...

In the interview you mention adding '"storytelling" rules' to BRP. Can you give an indication of what those are?

For example, I presume a Mecha has a STR, SIZ, and DEX (and CON?). There's probably an option for hit locations, if not a specialized "major wound table" for mechanical devices. Does the "storytelling" aspect come into play when describing the effects of damage? When using the mecha's special abilities? The bond between a pilot and his/her mecha?

Thanks.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

The storytelling part of the rules is a heavy improvement of the Fate rules on page 176 of the BGB. It serves several purposes, from making mecha combat more "heroic" by ensuring that a player character cannot be killed by an unlucky dier roll while keeping weapons capable of killing with one shot, to reproducing the peculiar structure of a Super Robot battle where you start with minor weapon fire, increasing the momentum of the battle until you finish off your enemy with a single blow of your ultimate weapon, to letting you use scenery elements to harass and even damage your opponents. The rules also require you to roleplay your character correctly, as Fate Points do not regenerate automatically, but only come from roleplaying.

Unlike other games systems (e.g. Fate), though, the storytelling engine is completely decoupled from the physical engine that describes how the vehicles work. You can use all options in Mecha without using Fate points, the game will just feel less "heroic". This has been done on purpose, in order to allow to play Mecha as a "regular" BRP game. But I recommend you try the storytelling rules if you are out for a real anime experience.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Cool!

Sadly, I'll have to wait the end of June to order my copy.

Paolo, if you're comfortable with the superhero rules of the BGB, I suggest you put together in a little pdf some guidelines for fast and easy creation of some common japanese superheroes ("the cybernetic martial-artist", "the power-armored samurai", "the giant hero"...), as a free bonus for people who want some more anime/tokusatsu funkiness in their BRP Mecha games. ;D

Oh my...how I would love some kind of Ultraman-giant robots-Godzilla action! Is there a game that would do this well? Is BRP Mecha aimed at Transformers/Robotech type stuff?

P.S. No intention to offend anime snobs who know the "real" versions of those titles.

I doubt you can define an anime fan as a "snob". It used to carry a social stigma not long ago :)

If you look at the preview, on the last page you will see the AF7 Valiant transformable fighter, which is essentially a Robotech Valkyrie with the serial numbers filed off. I hope this answers your question.

I doubt you can define an anime fan as a "snob". It used to carry a social stigma not long ago :)

If you look at the preview, on the last page you will see the AF7 Valiant transformable fighter, which is essentially a Robotech Valkyrie with the serial numbers filed off. I hope this answers your question.

You haven't run into the fans of anime that I have then. "Robotech sucks because it's not Macross" "Why are you watching the dub of this anime instead of watching the subbed version, it's so much better" "The correct title is 'badly pronounced Japanese' not 'reasonably translated into English'"

It might be an American thing to have anime snobbery though.

My roleplaying blog: Axes and Orcs. Scramblings of anime, D&D, and RQ-derived games.

LOL! Then there is no limit to snobbery :)

Okay folks, the books are printed. Pre-orders will ship in about one week, and presence at GenCon is granted. I just received a "pre" order and accepted it, but I will start adding a small shipping fee in a matter of hours. Go grab it while the discount lasts!