is Chaosium a real business anymore?

tgcb

First, I tried emailing "magic-world@chaosium.com" to send some Magic World errata I found. That came back as undeliverable.

Then I had to email a question on my Chaosium account and their site said to email "fergie@chaosium.com". This also came back undeliverable.

Of course they were still functional enough to take my $$$ for Magic World...so at least that part of the company works.

Just because they are imcompetent in some regards does not mean they are not "a real business" enterprise. There are a lot even more incompetent companies, and not all or even most companies have the PR and human resources of megacorporations. Chaosium is a very small firm and still manages to produce a surprisingly large catalog of quality product, despite their other shortcomings.

Err there's a thread here specifically for magic world and a sub thread for errata both monitored by the author. In my mind communicating directly with the author (and a lot of BRP authors are here) is better than communicating with the publisher. (Note dictionary definitions of those two terms).

Chaosium is IIRC two or three people and maybe some interns/part timers. I don't expect the level of communication from a company like that which I'd get from WOTC.

The shopping function of the site is almost completely automated (as a computer professional you should be aware that this is possible) and as such has nothing to do with their (in)ability to function in other ways.

Nigel

Err, these are instructions from the author:

If you have any questions in the future, or find any other errors, post them here, or email to magic-world@chaosium.com

(Note the dictionary terms of "instructions from the author" and "the author explicitly told me to do this, so I tried to do this, but it didn't work, and another email to Chaosium didn't work, so I got curious whether anyone here knew the status of Chaosium")

(Note the dictionary terms of "instructions from the author" and "the author explicitly told me to do this, so I tried to do this, but it didn't work, and another email to Chaosium didn't work, so I got curious whether anyone here knew the status of Chaosium")

I believe the preference is based on the order - first try "post them here", then try "email to magic-world@chaosium.com". Ben is pretty active here, which is why the preference is to post it here.

Ben also has things set up in Google which is where the Official Errata exists.

But, you would already know all of this :)

Ian

Great products, iffy customer service unless you are just getting PDFs. If you need an email response, try this:

nick@chaosium.com

He helped resolve my issue with getting a print copy of Swords of Cydoria.

I've told this story before but it bears repeating because it is a lesson in the long-term value of customer service. Waaaaaay back in 1983, after having played Traveller for several years, I cast about for a superhero RPG to play, since my friends and I enjoyed comics. This was long before the advent of the Internet or e-mail, so I wrote a brief letter to each of the companies producing a major superhero title: Fantasy Games Unlimited (Villains and Vigilantes), Chaosium (Superworld) and Hero Games (Champions). I asked each company to sell me on their product. FGU ignored me entirely. Chaosium sent me a Superworld flier and a terse note: "Play whatever your friends play." Good general advice, except that my friends and I weren't playing any superhero games at that point. Hero Games, on the other hand, sent me a warm personal letter, a thick catalog of their games, and some other materials. I invested in Champions. I and my friends went on to play Hero System games for the next 15-20 years. Instead of Call of Cthulhu, we played Justice, Inc. Instead of Elfquest or Ringworld, we played Danger International and Super Agents. It wasn't that we were mad at Chaosium, but we'd been introduced to a game family we felt comfortable with and kept coming back to it even though we played RPGs by other companies as well. I came to BRP nearly 30 years later, through the back door via Dan Proctor's GORE. Chaosium (and FGU) lost out on my business for a quarter of a century because whoever answered the mail was too busy to give my sincere query much attention.

Edited by seneschal

Well, I really didn't intend this to become a "bash Chaosium" thread....though it sounds like they may deserve it.

I really am just curious if anyone knows if their doors are still open and if I'm wasting my time trying to get a hold of them or not.

I'll try emailing Nick there to see if I get a response. I'm too cheap to call their # since it's not a 1-800#.

(Also since I'm not hopeful that Magic World will ever get an updated PDF with the errata in it, I downloaded a PDF editor and made the changes myself).

Well, I really didn't intend this to become a "bash Chaosium" thread....though it sounds like they may deserve it.

I really am just curious if anyone knows if their doors are still open and if I'm wasting my time trying to get a hold of them or not.

I'll try emailing Nick there to see if I get a response. I'm too cheap to call their # since it's not a 1-800#.

(Also since I'm not hopeful that Magic World will ever get an updated PDF with the errata in it, I downloaded a PDF editor and made the changes myself).

This has been said multiple times in multiple threads ... Chaosium is horrible for responding to emails. If you're not willing to call the office, it may take a very long time, if ever, to get a response. I've tried multiple times to email them over the last few years and only got a response once. So if you're not willing to call them, you may not get your questions answered.

But they are still open.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

First, I tried emailing "magic-world@chaosium.com" to send some Magic World errata I found. That came back as undeliverable.

Then I had to email a question on my Chaosium account and their site said to email "fergie@chaosium.com". This also came back undeliverable.

Of course they were still functional enough to take my $$$ for Magic World...so at least that part of the company works.

Tcgb: sorry it's been a hassle for you getting in touch with Chaosium. I know they're wrapped up in the CoC 7 kickstarter right now, so that may be part of it.

Also, I don't think Fergie is there any more, so his email address ,ay be a black hole.

I've directed this thread to Nick, and hopefully he'll be able to offer some clarification.

All that being said, I'd encourage you to check the errata thread in the Magic World section of the forum. If anything you noted isn't already logged, please make a. One of it there, and I'll incorporate it into my next revision of the MW errata.

It's appreciated, really. Just remember, there's a reason they're not called "Orderium".

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Just remember, there's a reason they're not called "Orderium".
Heh heh great save there Ben heh heh! ;D

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Hey guys,

Email nick@chaosium.com and your email will be answered. I promise. Because thats me. And I would love to help you with whatever questions or problems you have.

Nick

Yes everyone can calm down.

Nick has replied to my emails (thanks Nick!).

All is well! (or at least "good enough")

Hey guys,

Email nick@chaosium.com and your email will be answered. I promise. Because thats me. And I would love to help you with whatever questions or problems you have.

Nick

Nick,

You should probably set up the chaosium.com domain so that all email forwards to your account. I work in an organization as small as yours, and that’s what I do. Otherwise there would be a problem of mail getting lost and/or not answered. In my experience, customers HIGHLY value responses!