RQ2 Premium Reprint - What would it take?

Falconer

While this feels like grave-digging a thread, it seems that what it takes to get a preomium reprint is the 50th anniversary of Glorantha in 2016, probably a minor kickstarter, and Chaosium being taken over by MoonDesign.

I'm willing to accept all of that, unlikely as it seems. :-)

People are very welcome to ask us about our current or future "in the works" projects. The only question we prefer not to get asked is "when?". If we actually know when something will be done, we will tell me people without them having to ask. If we don't know when, we don't mention it. No pun intended, but we're not playing some kind of game when it comes forthcoming projects. We want people to know when to expect things so they can be ready to buy them and talk about them when they are ready. The problem is we have far more ideas and projects than hours in the day.

• Like 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Guest Vile Traveller

The three documents are Runequest 2 (with errata), Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror.

That sounds exactly like what is needed (plus a PDF of Foes)! When you say errata, is that just the stuff on the inside covers of the RQ2 rules or other materials as well?

The errata incorporated into the RQ2 rules is the 2 pages produced by Chaosium, plus we went through many issues of Wyrms Footnotes and picked up a few bits and pieces from there. Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror may get reprinted as individual books, not combined with anything else, including each other. If you want them combined into a single book, buy the Cult Compendium. CoP and CoT would probably not be stretch goals if part of a Kickstarter. Foes is a nifty book, but it wasn't that popular compared to the rest of the books in the line, and it would also be a lot of work to OCR and clean up. It is WAY down the priority list.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,

What about RQ2 Snake Pipe Hollow and Apple Lane? Or RQ2 Trollpak? Unlike the RQ3 editions by Avalon Hill, these copyrights should still be with Chaosium, correct?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Guest Vile Traveller

Foes is a nifty book, but it wasn't that popular compared to the rest of the books in the line, and it would also be a lot of work to OCR and clean up. It is WAY down the priority list.

Ah, bummer. But I live in hope that maybe one day you'll get one of these kids to run off a whole new set of Foes on their mobile device and publish that!

What about RQ2 Snake Pipe Hollow and Apple Lane? Or RQ2 Trollpak? Unlike the RQ3 editions by Avalon Hill, these copyrights should still be with Chaosium, correct?

RQ2 versions of Trollpak, SPH and Apple Lane are all possible. Chaosium owns the copyright on RQ3 Gloranthan publications as well, but not RQ3 Gateway. 

• Like 3

Hope that Helps,

Chaosium owns the copyright on RQ3 Gloranthan publications as well, but not RQ3 Gateway. 

Too bad! I was eagerly anticipating a reprint of Daughters of Darkness!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, on the other hand 'Vikings' and 'Land of Ninja' were cool.

P.S. Obviously we will have a ton of new Viking goodness with Mythic Iceland2.

Edited by smiorgan

The errata incorporated into the RQ2 rules is the 2 pages produced by Chaosium, plus we went through many issues of Wyrms Footnotes and picked up a few bits and pieces from there. 

That's really nice. I've got two RQ2 softcovers one sepia without errata, the other with color cover and errata, but I'll buy the reprint immediately. If anything to let the fragile originals rest and have a sturdy copy for gaming and casual reading.

Will you try to reproduce the original layout exactly (à la AD&D reprints), or go the Gloranthan Classics route and add new layout and art? Or something in between?

Go Chaosium! 

Ah, bummer. But I live in hope that maybe one day you'll get one of these kids to run off a whole new set of Foes on their mobile device and publish that!

Someone could write an app (cross platform) for that, to randomly generate stats as required, in customizable output formats (eg: a page of trolkin of given range of ability).

However, there are several web-based generators already available.

Edited by dragonewt

For RQ2?

Not that I know of. I was thinking more in the "Generic BRP/d100" mindset.

However, it would be good to have an app or site that can provide stat blocks, ranges and layout that can represent multiple flavours of systems, eg: RQ2 or OpenQuest or RQ6/TDMRQ or HQ2 (yes, other systems using translation and mapping, and the differences between the BRP relatives or BGB options), etc...

And the layouts would have template options, eg: Zorak Zoran war party, with Dark Troll leader (Rune Lord), Dark Troll priest, Two Great Trolls, and about 10 Trolkin. Weapons, armour, and spells would be random based on typical choices for race, residence, cult, etc... Select an A4/letter page output using RQ2 as the target system, and the result would ideally look like a page from Foes (adding treasure factor and ransom). When your HQ friends come around next day, output using HQ2 as the target system.

I am making notes on how I might code this and the DB structure, but at the moment I can't promise anything.

Edited by dragonewt
  • Like 1

Erm, you guys have seen the RQ6 encounter generator, right? Because, aside from being for RQ6 and therefore not quite 100% numbers compatible with RQ2, it renders the idea of a print book of Foes pretty much entirely superfluous.

I'd happily support crowd funding a project to make a truly generic BRP version of that generator, so one could pick a Chaosium BRP rule set (e.g. RQ2, RQ3, Worlds of Wonder, BGB BRP, Magic World, BRPE, RQ!7 etc) and generate stats for whatever for ones preferred flavour of BRP.

But I suspect it is one of those "sounds easy" ideas that actual programmers will blanch at...  :D

Nick

But I suspect it is one of those "sounds easy" ideas that actual programmers will blanch at... 

:D

The programming is not the issue, the main work would be the mapping of skills etc... between different systems (sometimes just a name change, but other cases grouping granular skill sets (eg: RQ2 skills) to simpler skills sets (eg: OpenQuest skills or RQ6 Combat Styles), and potentially more challenging with more abstract systems such as HQ or Fate.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎43‎:‎06‎, smiorgan said:

Will you try to reproduce the original layout exactly (à la AD&D reprints), or go the Gloranthan Classics route and add new layout and art? Or something in between?

The layout is a little different, due to the incorporation of the Errata into the text plus a number of Rambling Runequestions and additional appendices from Wyrms Footnotes. All the art is derived from either the original RQ2 or Wyrms Footnotes. 

• Like 2

Regarding generators: We thought about doing other systems than RQ6 with RQ6 Encounter Generator. It can be quite a bit of work though technically doable at least to an extent. The philosophies how magic and battle systems work and what they consist of can be an issue when generating for multiple game systems. One could probably find the lowest common denominator when researching this more deeply. One of the problems was that none of us were really familiar with the other systems or not playing them actively and for example the magic can become quite involved content to create. Very large part of RQ6 Encounter generator is the content itself once the engine is built. Starting from ground up to get the content can be quite a bit of work that requires dedication and most likely crowd sourcing to keep the content coming.  Some of the other generators have not been as active - life tends to get in your way - so crowdsourcing for content is a way to keep things alive. 

Currently the RQ6 Encounter Generator has a stable codebase with little tweaks coming in now and then and code itself will likely see next bigger updates once RQ Glorantha is out to support the tweaks to RQ6 (no acolytes, some devotion pool calculations are different etc).  Content will keep coming constantly and of course it is crowdsourcing friendly. Some statistics : 2029 published templates before this month's bunch. 44 contributors. Outside the original circle of skoll, myself and prune there are approx 270 published templates of which 8 people have more than 10 templates each, 10 people have 5-9 templates - rest mostly one or a bit more templates. 

There are 14000+ features in 256 feature categories that you can attach to party or enemy templates. 498 cult ranks in approx 160 cults/spirit societies/sorcery orders/brotherhoods with associated spell, spirits etc... 

There is always the dilemma whether to support one game system relatively well/relatively deeply or multiple at lesser level... With enough dedication that could possibly be solved. 

...and meanwhile in another universe very nearby the indefatigable skoll has announced the magic world generator... Go for it in the Magic World discussions

http://basicroleplaying.org/topic/4099-magic-world-encounter-generator/

:-)

Edited by hkokko