hanging trap question

mwsasser

Hey there guys, I have a question about a type of hanging trap that I'd like to use in an upcoming session. The party will walk through hanging vines and there will be ropes with hangman's noose made from the same vines mixed in. They would be meant to catch the character by the head, arms etc. Should I use an attack roll for something like this? If so, it would be a surprise attack I'd assume.

Also, would the character be able to do much while suspended? A similar trap that catches the foot would be difficult to escape from but what about an arm or the neck?

Anything in the hand would be dropped automatically or roll against something?

Any suggestions?

Spotting the trap would take a Perception roll, maybe Hard or Difficult.

I'd make a Luck Roll to allow weapons to be retained, if the PC was carrying one.

Making an Acrobatics roll should allow an attack on the vines, albeit a Difficult one.

People with magic might be able to burn through a vine.

People with plant magic might be able to control the vines to order them to let go.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here