Simplified Weapons

Chaot

In "Diezlados", a system I made, weapons have a base damage with very little variation between them. The game works with a single d10 roll under. Additional damage is not rolled but substracted voluntarily from skill and added point by point (this is called Effort). So a brawl skill of 12 with 4 points of effort makes +4 damage in the attack at the expense of skill (now roll 8 or less to succeed). You could do something similar in BRP but it will change success levels.

Elric! had a skill to damage chart for demons. Perhaps a similar table with the die as base damage, and a weapon type modifier could work.

0-19%         1d2

20-39%       1d4

40-59%       1d6

60-79%       1d8

80-99%       1d10

100-119%   1d12

Brawl: +0

Short weapons: +1d2

Medium weapons: +1d4

Large weapons: +1d6

Something like that table from Elric used with the margin of success instead of the skill value would probably work fairly well as a base for normal success level rolls.

The problem I keep running into trying to come up with a good suggestion for the op is what to do with a special or crit result.

If the margin of success was not important though and it was just a simpler skill level = damage amount then that would look to work perfectly.

I was not really clear on which the op was after but looking it over perhaps it was more of a flat, "your this good you do this much damage" and not so much of a you won the challenge by this much.

Hey Chaot,

If you (and anyone else reading this) don't own RQ6 I suggest popping on over to...

http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/downloads.php

... and rectifying that situation right now by downloading RuneQuest Essentials. To quote the website: RuneQuest Essentials is free, but you can always make a donation of whatever you feel appropriate by clicking on the Donate button below the cover image.

Rod

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize this was a thread from the dead. If you have already taken advantage of this awesome offer, then your all set, however, if you have not than my post still stands.  ;-)

Oh yes? I've read the combat chapter but unfortunately I don't own it and really remember little of the details.

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I updated my idea from before. The link hasn't changed - but I made it so you hit the maximum earlier, changed the table orientation to be rows instead of columns, and made a significant reduction in the number of rows/columns. I think this greatly simplified table would be easier to use than the other. Again, further refinement could be possible, but at this point I think it would be more a matter of ironing out the details of criticals and whatnot than significantly changing the formulae (but it is still unplaytested).

It's still a lookup table (with the revised formula on the page underneath it), but it's a small lookup table, and since the formula is included, you could make a more or less granular version pretty easily, and for a given character, with a given weapon, it would be easy to copy the applicable row and put it on your sheet.

Some quick responses.

In "Diezlados", a system I made, weapons have a base damage with very little variation between them. The game works with a single d10 roll under. Additional damage is not rolled but substracted voluntarily from skill and added point by point (this is called Effort). So a brawl skill of 12 with 4 points of effort makes +4 damage in the attack at the expense of skill (now roll 8 or less to succeed). You could do something similar in BRP but it will change success levels.

Elric! had a skill to damage chart for demons. Perhaps a similar table with the die as base damage, and a weapon type modifier could work.

0-19%         1d2
20-39%       1d4
40-59%       1d6
60-79%       1d8
80-99%       1d10
100-119%   1d12

Brawl: +0
Short weapons: +1d2
Medium weapons: +1d4
Large weapons: +1d6

Very neat system el octogono.  Kinda reminds me a little of Trollbabe.  The Demon Summoning table is something of a big influence on me.  I have leaned on it a bunch in the past and it plays into the idea here.

The only purpose that I have Prowess serving right now is to set the base damage level.  If it were to be checked with Combat (a cool idea) a failure could indicate a lower base (1d6 down to a 1d4) and a critical could bump it up (1d6 to a 1d8).

It currently is designed as a "you're this good you do this much damage" thing.

I did indeed pick up RQ6.  It's a great book.

I'm hearing rumors that Classic Fantasy RQ6 is on it's way soon.  If this is true I'm very excited!

70/420

This was the original idea. The reason for the change is that as the skill grows the character does more damage. It becomes pretty monolithic. The character is going to hit more often and do more damage, period.

The only purpose that I have Prowess serving right now is to set the base damage level. If it were to be checked with Combat (a cool idea) a failure could indicate a lower base (1d6 down to a 1d4) and a critical could bump it up (1d6 to a 1d8).

It currently is designed as a "you're this good you do this much damage" thing.

I think I have more of a D&D style game in mind with damage based on skill.

An easy dice trick, if you want to get rid of the damage roll, is to add up the tens and ones for the attack roll to determine damage.

If I hit with a roll of 73 that's ten points of damage.  If I hit with a 23 that's 5 points of damage.

An even easier trick is to just use the 10s digit for damage. 

I have a BRP variant which works similar to Top Secret/SI where the 10s digit is the damage, and the 1s digit the hit location. 

-Weapons can have a damage modfier that gets added in, or just customize the specials ala RQ6

-Hit location die was changed to a d10 (1-2 RL, 3-4 LL, 5 AB, 6-7 CH, 8 RA, 9 LA, 10 HD)

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I'm hearing rumors that Classic Fantasy RQ6 is on it's way soon.  If this is true I'm very excited!

Yes it is very true. I'm finishing up Chapter 15: Treasure hopefully this week. I have about 40 more magic items to convert and have already converted/created several hundred.

Sorry for the off-topic post, back to simplifying weapons.  ;-)

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I think that would work great for an automated system or even a group that are a bit more mathematically mentally quick than I am.  Applying various bonuses and then multiplying them is out of my league.

An easy dice trick, if you want to get rid of the damage roll, is to add up the tens and ones for the attack roll to determine damage.

If I hit with a roll of 73 that's ten points of damage.  If I hit with a 23 that's 5 points of damage.

That's an interesting system, it does make critical hits rather weak though.

One of the systems that uses this dice trick is Unknown Armies.  They get around the low damage crits by making any successful doubles rolled be critical successes and any failed doubles rolled be critical failures.

They also have a funky trick where you can flip the ones and the tens place on occasion to turn a failure into a success.

I love Unknown Armies, but one of the reasons I love BRP is that it runs silently.  All the dice tricks in UA are a bit too much in my face.

70/420

That's an interesting system, it does make critical hits rather weak though.

Crticals would get some sort of bonus to the damage, or if you are using RQ6 style specials, you could add a damage modifier to certain specials. Sorry I didn't mention it before. 

The variant system I use this with doesn't have crtics and specials per say, but instead uses the EFFECT (difference between attack and defense "tens" digits) to determine the result. Higher totals can be achieved by raising the difficulty (difficulty 2 means half skill, difficulty 3 one-third skill, and so on) of the task. Each raise adds a flat +5 to the EFFECT if the roll is successful. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.