why don't 18 in Characteristics get more love?

tgcb

CHA/APP of 18 will probably make any player..groan audibly

I haven't played a lot of BRP, but in my AD&D games this is certainly not true. Henchmen, friends, politicking and merchant ventures are often far more rewarding than fighting, and having a barracks commander who's wilking to drop his footmen like Hell's hammer on people who fack with you beats a +5 sword most of the time. I don't mind fighting when it's in character and for a logical reason, but I play much more sim type than cinematic. I mean, Hellx even Conana runs when he's outnumbered. Battling, when you don't have tox is dumb. A high charisma and a bangin' body can circumvent battle, make friends enemies and allow you to assassinate the pirate lord while he's drunk in his bed.

I blame video games and TV for the attitude that CHA is a dump stat. That and uncreative players.

While it depends on the specific setting, a good Charisma Roll (APP x 5) can indeed solve a lot of

problems, especially in settings with a well developed background society where the character is

a part of this society instead of a foreign wandering loner. Charming people into doing what one

wants is at least as effective as beating them into it ... :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

A lot of people have thought of CHA as a dump characteristic for years. If you are climbing walls and hitting things with sticks then it is. But if you are negotiating, bargaining or seducing then other characteristics are dump characteristics.

I see characteristics as being descriptive of the physical form of the character. It's a shorthand way of knowing what the character is about without a couple of paragraphs of description.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here.