The World of Old-School RPG's is Entering Its Twilight

Ars Mysteriorum

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Does anyone know how gaming is doing in India?

As India liberalizes and becomes more prosperous, there should be more people with time to game. They are not yet as rich, on the average, as we in the US and Great Britain are. So everyone might not have signed up for World of Warcraft. Many Indians {about 200 million, I think} are literate in English. There is no obvious reason to assume that the percentage of Indians literate in English who might take an interest in RPG's if exposed to them is any lower than the percentage of US citizens or British subjects who have taken an interest in RPG's. So for all I know, gaming might actually be expanding there, and I'm just unaware of it because I don't happen to know any Indian gamers.

Ray,

Hi,

As India liberalizes and becomes more prosperous, there should be more people with time to game. They are not yet as rich, on the average, as we in the US and Great Britain are. So everyone might not have signed up for World of Warcraft. Many Indians {about 200 million, I think} are literate in English. There is no obvious reason to assume that the percentage of Indians literate in English who might take an interest in RPG's if exposed to them is any lower than the percentage of US citizens or British subjects who have taken an interest in RPG's. So for all I know, gaming might actually be expanding there, and I'm just unaware of it because I don't happen to know any Indian gamers.

Ray,

From what I know about India, they hardly take any stock in leisure time. It's pretty much work, work, and more work, which conventional wisdom would say would make them rich. But it's the countries that work hardest to have leisure time in style that are always the richest--because a lot of money circulates when people are buying leisure items and activities.

India isn't exactly known for it's creativity, mainly due to its over-emphasis on just working.

Besides, there's a push to bring most of those jobs that have been outsourced back to the U.S. Many politicians are talking about tax breaks for companies that keep the jobs in the country. So India's future isn't quite certain for the near future.

Hi,

Ray,

I work in a quite large company whose IT is mainly in India (those labor costs, you know) and my direct boss is Indian. I'm thus working with quite a large number of Indian colleagues, and each time I've spoken with them, I have been very surprised by the fact they seem to have no life outside work and family. The only activities that are categorized as leisure are movies, music and tourism (and some sport).

They are not very minded towards games, culturally speaking, and their mind seems to only focus on getting richer, and spending this hardly gained money.

A worse point for RPG is that the average Indian guy seems to be 'not vrey creative minded' to say the least.

To quote you, Ray, I know personally about 200 Indian guy, and none of them is a gamer. None of them know a gamer, and 99% of them don't know what is a RPG.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Hello,

Games are firmly entranched in chinese culture. But I don't know enough chinese guy to have any trustable info about rpg in China.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

I have spent some time with a Chinese family, and yes they love games (we had a mah-jongg night once a week). In terms of fantasy games, young Chinese are extremely fond of MMORPGs. They mostly play Chinese or Korean MMORPGs, and their users number in the 100,000s. I explained the basic mechanics of my Chinese rolegame to my Chinese friends but apparently they thought it weird to have to meet at a given place to play when you can have so many friends online.