Glorantha in own thread/forum or just where it pops up?

Trifletraxor

What to do about Glorantha?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What to do about Glorantha?

• Glorantha needs its own forum! It's a classic BRP setting!
    • An own Glorantha thread will do, maybe later separate forums for all the major settings.
    • Just let it pop up in the discussion here & there. No need to separate BRP & its setting yet.
    • Where the heck is the option I want to vote for?

To be honest, I'm not sure if there's anyone here who would like to discuss Greg's latest. I think the Greg-followers all play HeroQuest. People still playing BRP follow the system more than the setting. The late Glorantha Digest and World of Glorantha is probably a better place to discuss what kind of grass you can find in Pamaltela, and other interesting tidbits. :rolleyes:

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Guest the Bromgrev

Three for me.

I agree, gloranthaphiles and BRP seem to have parted ways. That said, I might occasionally want to wax reminiscent about the days when there was a desert called "the Haunted Lands" instead of that new-fangled "Shadow Plateau". And popping up here and there is fine by me.

One of the things that drew people to Glorantha was the rich depth of the setting. One of the things that detered new people from getting into Gloranthan stuff was the rich depth of the setting.

Let's give BRP a fresh start by keeping it's past incarnations suitably separated from the new release.

Having to wade through a metric tonne of Gloranthan jargon to understand a post/get the joke may be a deterence to new posters.

I say that the past needs to be remembered- but it should not overshadow the present. A separate forum would be welcomed by me.

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

I am up in the air about it. Although I know that Glorantha and BRP are indelibly mixed to many, I was always interested in the system and more or less discarded Gorantha from the beginning. I even resented it to start with because it didn't feel like the kind of fantasy I wanted to run, too much empasis on the cults and so forth.

I7m for option 3. While GLoratha has been a big part of the game's past, it is pretty obvious that we probably won't be seeing any more Gloratha stuf from Chaosium.

So until such time as Gloratha becomes relevant to BRP, lets not star a Glorantha forum, and just post whatever works it's way up in the normal course of operation. Otherwise, we will need forums for every other BRP setting and spin off.

Do we want a Elric forum? Or maybe one for Chaosium's version and another for MRQ's version?

I think it is better to wait and see what actually ge's discussed rather than trying to anticipate.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

The problem is that if you have a dedicated Gloranthan Forum here then you will inevitibly get the same kind of meaningful discussion as on the old Gloranthan Digest or the World of Glorantha or even the Immoderate Glorantha group.

People will ask questions (I know, how could they?) in the forums and other people will offer their own opinions. Fine if the question is a simple one like "Who were the Lightbringers?" as that has an nice simple answer, but if the question is something tricky like "Who were the Lightbringers?" then that can open up a can of worms with many different posts from different people with different opinions.[*]

At the moment, fortunately, the Forum benefits from the fact that there are no Gloranthan Heavyweights posting (no offence to anyone here who considers themselves as big Gloranthan Heavyweights) and that there are no D100 rules out yet. So, any discussion is lightweight. But, sure as eggs is eggs, if you had a Gloranthan Forum then the really big Gloranthan Hitters will flock here and bog down any discussion.

Perhaps you cpuld include a link in the Forum's Homepage saying that any questions regarding in-depth Glorantha should be directed to the World of Glorantha group.

Obviously, questions on how the rules work in Glorantha are fair game, as are stats of Gloranthan creatures, new spells and so on. But not questions on what colour are Uleria's Panties.

The same could be said for other game worlds.

There is an Ancient Rome supplement coming out. We could have an Ancient Rome Forum, but that would very quickly get bogged down in intellectual discussions about what types of trireme the Romans used or that there were no such things as Celts in the Roman Empire and other such discussions.

I know nothing about Deadworld, only that it involves zombies. But if you hade a Deadworld Forum, then you'd get discussions about what happened in Comic number so-and-so and how that differed from such-and-such or that you couldn't possibly use RQ zombies as Deadworld zombies cannot speak and run fast, or whatever.

So, I'd say NO to Forums for any of the game worlds. Otherwise, if you had a forum for Deadworld or Ancient Rome then some bright spark will say "I play RQ2/3 in Glorantha, why can't we have a Gloranthan Forum?" and then all hell will break loose.

[*] Long term fans of Glorantha and the various Digests will know what I mean here.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Wow!

Soltakss, I disagree with you on this.

I think separate forums for BRP setting/sorucebookls makes a lot of sense. Where or not they get thier own forum we will still get the threads about triremes, etc. Better to seapate things so that people will be able to fihnd the stuff for settings that interest them. That way the fantasy fans won't have to wade through the Sci-Fi or Superhero threads.

There is another RPG site that I visit that actually gives a different section in each forum for each RPG. In part because the parent system was used for several settings (ala BRP) but also because one of the settings has been written up for several RPGs.

Using BRP history as an example, I7d much rather see stats for, say, Elric! kept separate from pretty much any other BRP section. Reason being that a 100% weapon skill is Elric! isn't the same as a 100% weapon skill in Strombringer or RQ.

At least by sectioning things off, the people who don't want to read about triremes won't have to see it.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I imagine Uleria has quite a collection of panties.

And she knows what ones you like too.

Lacey white is your thing? She's got those.

Neon Thongs? Them too.

Black Leather - them too. I don't think there is any such thing as latex on Glorantha though. Maybe the Mostali have it, but they aren't sharing it (or making panties).

And of course some times...

...never mind. Better to stop now.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Maybe we can have just a "Settings" forum for all settings. That way you can post about Glorantha or Deadworld or whatever, but it might not attract the notice of the Gloranthan "Sages"?

Hmmm... Almost feel like we are trying to avoid the Spanish Inquisition.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Maybe we can have just a "Settings" forum for all settings. That way you can post about Glorantha or Deadworld or whatever, but it might not attract the notice of the Gloranthan "Sages"?

Hmmm... Almost feel like we are trying to avoid the Spanish Inquisition.

Rolls POWx5 to resist making Monty Python Joke...

[roll0]

Made It!

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Rolls POWx5 to resist making Monty Python Joke...

[roll0]

Made It!

Drat! I was hoping to catch someone on that.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

One of the things that drew people to Glorantha was the rich depth of the setting. One of the things that detered new people from getting into Gloranthan stuff was the rich depth of the setting.

Let's give BRP a fresh start by keeping it's past incarnations suitably separated from the new release.

Having to wade through a metric tonne of Gloranthan jargon to understand a post/get the joke may be a deterence to new posters.

I say that the past needs to be remembered- but it should not overshadow the present. A separate forum would be welcomed by me.

Joseph Paul

Um, you're arguing the wrong point here...

If there is a separate forum for Glorantha, you can simply not click on that forum title, and you won't be bothered by it.

If there is not, you will have people mentioning it in the common area, and then you will have to, as you put it, "wade through" it.

Me personally, I could not care less about Greg's latest, but I do like the Glorantha setting, always have, especially for the deities and the stories.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

I think that being welcoming of people that are not enormously invested in previous settings is a perfectly valid point for compartmentalizing setting discussions, as is yours. Now we have two reasons for a settings forum!;)

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

Whatever. I would like to have an area free of Glorantha AND Greg, if possible. However that is accomplished is fine with me. Because those things got to be overwhelming on the Mongoose RQ forum last year, just pre-release. So I guess I want to have this main forum be specifically for BRP system discussion and have a separate section for Glorantha (including MRQ, since it is 'not' BRP). As such. Keep this for BRP rules discussions and homebrew settings for BRP if possible. Those rules discussions to include any game...earlier RQ, Stormbringer, CoC, etc. that specifically use BRP rules, again.

• 3 weeks later...

I say keep all settings in the Worlds of Wonder forum.

Just get the posters to put [Glorantha], [CoC], [DeadWorld], [Rome], etc. in their thread titles.

That way those not interested can not bother reading those threads and those interested can.

Also it allows everybody to see the different settings BRP and D100 can handle.

Cheers, Darran

Continuum 2014. John Foster Hall, Leicester University. UK.

Friday 25th - Monday 28th July 2014.

http://www.continuum.uk.net

There were plenty of things I liked about Glorantha... and 'stole' from it... but never really played there much.

I think BRP has outgrown that era of it's development and since it's no longer formally linked, and there are Glorantha forums elsewhere, it might as well not have any special place here.

Hmmm, I used to be able to go into the main forum and read all the topics.

Now, I have to remember to go into all the other forums as well.

Get rid of the forums and drop everything back to the main one, please!

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here.