Hitpoint-less combat

Questbird

This seems like it would actually involve more work than tracking actual HPs. 

I can see a 'more realistic' side to not using HPs but the same results could be achieved if the Chronicler kept track of PC HPs instead of the PCs. 

Instead of "The minotaur brings his axe down on you for (1d6+2) + (1d6) =6 damage leaving you with 8 HPs." you secretly roll the damage, subtract from PC HPs, and announce "The minotaur brings his axe down on you, slicing through the skin of your chest. The wound, while not mortally grieves, leaves you stunned and short of breath. Until bandaged you continue to bleed and take a penalty to all physical actions for awhile."

It's not more work at all. 

You don't roll damage -- you use the maximum for the weapon, adjusted for armour (don't roll that either).

You roll a resistance roll of baddie's HP vs. the damage. Success - keep fighting; failure - Down for the Count. No more tracking how many nicks each pirate has received. I don't particularly care if some NPC pirate is going to have ugly scarring or long-term breathing difficulties from a major wound either.

I guess it depends if you are a fan of the Resistance Table or not.

You still track players' health (they use average of POW+SIZ+CON instead of just HP to resist damage), but you only find out how healthy they are after the fight.

Your suggestion also abstracts out HP -- but only for the players. It creates even more bookkeeping for the Chronicler who now has to track players' hitpoints secretly as well as run the adventure.

Edited by Questbird
bemusement

Ah! I misread. I was thinking you were making resistance rolls and resilience rolls each round. My mistake for reading while dead tired. :)

I think I'm going to look into this for when PCs fight minions and see how it goes.

I've always tracked PC expendables so that's just part of the game for me.

Like I said, I can definitely see this being attractive to some people.

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

• 2 years later...

Observations of the hitpointless system in practice

One thing I like about the hitpointless system is applying it to weapon breakage. In Elric!/Magic World weapons have a certain number of hit points and they gradually get chipped away on critical parries etc. This has the effect that you just repair or replace your weapon if you've had it a long time. It's so ho-hum that most people don't bother about it.

Using the hitpointless system, a critical parry causes the attackers weapon to make a Resistance check of (maximum damage of parrying weapon) vs. attacking Weapon HP. Weapons are durable (usually have 20 HP) but can unexpectedly break. Because the system is probabilistic rather than connected to fixed points, you just never know when you'll need that backup weapon.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea of the resistance roll for weapon/shield breakage on parries, but for the purposes of simplifying minion fighting (definition of minion: low HP, low AP swarms meant to be butchered) in my group (no clue who started this, but we all do it), we simply make them "one hit", "two hit" or "three hit" types.  Damage doesn't matter, just how many times they've been hit.  Yes, evaluating how many hits they take does have something to do with comparing damage vs armor, but it works out rather well.

Other than that, it is an interesting system, although as was proposed, I might want it to have a few more "steps" on the way down to "out of the fight", especially for PCs.  Heh, started to give suggestions, but realized that worked against the idea of rolling for the actual damage at the end of the fight.

On 8/30/2015 at 11:36 AM, tooley1chris said:

This seems like it would actually involve more work than tracking actual HPs. 

I can see a 'more realistic' side to not using HPs but the same results could be achieved if the Chronicler kept track of PC HPs instead of the PCs. 

Instead of "The minotaur brings his axe down on you for (1d6+2) + (1d6) =6 damage leaving you with 8 HPs." you secretly roll the damage, subtract from PC HPs, and announce "The minotaur brings his axe down on you, slicing through the skin of your chest. The wound, while not mortally grieves, leaves you stunned and short of breath. Until bandaged you continue to bleed and take a penalty to all physical actions for awhile."

I did this as a matter of course.  I had hp/location charts for all the PC's in a single page protector that I'd mark with a grease pencil, updating the sheet as the permanent stats changed.  The players didn't have to track their damage, but I can't think of a single one who didn't.  I'd still give them descriptive versions of cumulative damage regardless.

On 02/10/2017 at 6:09 PM, Yelm's Light said:

I did this as a matter of course.  I had hp/location charts for all the PC's in a single page protector that I'd mark with a grease pencil, updating the sheet as the permanent stats changed.  The players didn't have to track their damage, but I can't think of a single one who didn't.  I'd still give them descriptive versions of cumulative damage regardless.

I find it hard enough to track NPCs' hit points, let alone PCs' as well.

I have used this system so far in my Swords of Cydoria campaign, as a way to encourage a swords-and-blasters approach which rarely worked in the real world (in the 17th-18th century when handguns were so unreliable and slow to load it helped to have a claymore handy too). With this system you can be knocked out of the fight, but not necessarily dead and obliterated. BRP gunfights can be quite dangerous (especially with hit locations) and gritty. I wanted to encourage a more pulpy and guns-blazing approach (like Star Wars stormtroopers blasting away with their laser guns but never hitting anything, then being taken out by one shot by one of the heroes).

On 10/5/2017 at 1:28 AM, Questbird said:

I find it hard enough to track NPCs' hit points, let alone PCs' as well.

I have used this system so far in my Swords of Cydoria campaign, as a way to encourage a swords-and-blasters approach which rarely worked in the real world (in the 17th-18th century when handguns were so unreliable and slow to load it helped to have a claymore handy too). With this system you can be knocked out of the fight, but not necessarily dead and obliterated. BRP gunfights can be quite dangerous (especially with hit locations) and gritty. I wanted to encourage a more pulpy and guns-blazing approach (like Star Wars stormtroopers blasting away with their laser guns but never hitting anything, then being taken out by one shot by one of the heroes).

And part of that issue just depends on the person {shrug}.

Nothing wrong with the idea itself, as I pointed out my local group has long done a "minion" style thing that allowed for quick kills of swarming fodder.  OTOH, to do the Star Wars type thing, you pretty much have to take away all chance of them hitting (or insure that their weaponry sucks so badly compared to the PCs armor) because you don't want a chance crit popping through using this system. 

"Opps, sorry, peon #69 just popped a crit on you, so make your roll"

"Oh darn I failed"

"Well, that's that, let's see if you survived after the battle after we finish up"

OTOH, using the minion rule (one hit, two hit, three hit minions), they can still attack with their low levels of proficiency because the PCs will still be using their hitpoints to take the damage while still providing a bit of potential drama while not clogging up the system with a bunch of dice rolling.

Keeping track of multiple NPCs can be a nightmare, we used to have a sheet of paper and just record damage against each NPC, one per line.

Keeping track of NPC powers can be even harder. Does broo#50 explode upon death? What happens if broo#49 dies, is he the one who attacks in sprit combat? I used to love putting several "Explodes upon death" NPCs together, hoping that the resulting chain reaction might finish off at least one PC.

Several times in our old RQ2 campaign, the GM would carefully place 50 NPCs in the Chaos temple, look at his sheet, tut loudly, then take three off for the Invisible ones. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 10/12/2017 at 4:37 PM, Algesan said:

And part of that issue just depends on the person {shrug}.

Nothing wrong with the idea itself, as I pointed out my local group has long done a "minion" style thing that allowed for quick kills of swarming fodder.  OTOH, to do the Star Wars type thing, you pretty much have to take away all chance of them hitting (or insure that their weaponry sucks so badly compared to the PCs armor) because you don't want a chance crit popping through using this system. 

"Opps, sorry, peon #69 just popped a crit on you, so make your roll"

"Oh darn I failed"

"Well, that's that, let's see if you survived after the battle after we finish up"

OTOH, using the minion rule (one hit, two hit, three hit minions), they can still attack with their low levels of proficiency because the PCs will still be using their hitpoints to take the damage while still providing a bit of potential drama while not clogging up the system with a bunch of dice rolling.

The Star Wars comment was a throwaway line. I don't fudge the rolls or make it harder for the NPCs to hit. The hitpointless system just means that someone might be out of the fight but not necessarily dead.

Some concerns that I have with this approach is that you can wind up with a big tough creature (or character) being "proof" against attacks that don't do enough damage to have a chance on the resistance table.

For example, a typical human warrior with a broadsword that does damage 13 (9+4db) fighting a RQ3 Dragon (resilience 53, and ignoring armor). 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

15 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Some concerns that I have with this approach is that you can wind up with a big tough creature (or character) being "proof" against attacks that don't do enough damage to have a chance on the resistance table.

For example, a typical human warrior with a broadsword that does damage 13 (9+4db) fighting a RQ3 Dragon (resilience 53, and ignoring armor). 

You and I discussed exactly this problem:

And you came up with many useful ideas. Ray Turney, who designed the basis for this hitpointless system in his Fire and Sword game, said that he didn't particularly care about large creatures and how they would work with this system. Unfortunately I do, because my players had to fight one and I didn't want the thing to be invulnerable.

Some of the ideas you came up with were:

1. make an 'aimed shot' to hit a vulnerable area, which would make the Resistance roll harder. Trouble is, for truly massive creatures they are just off the chart of the resistance table vs. normal damage. Good idea though.

2. allow cumulative shots against large creatures, by doubling the resistance target with every 10 points of damage inflicted during the round

I think I kind of fluffed the actual battle, and basically allowed cumulative damage. The Terax died.

Next time, I think I would do a combination of the two things in a simple (and easier to remember on the fly!):

If you can make a difficult shot, you concentrate your fire on one part of the beast. All the damage so concentrated during the round counts as the Resistance target. In other words, the monster makes a Resilience check vs. the cumulative total of such hits for the round.

If your shot is a hit but greater than half your chance, your shot hits elsewhere and the monster makes an immediate Resilience check against only that hit.

LOL! I guess I'm a creature of habit. 

I think I'd like to try and come up with a better, simpler way to handle the problem. I think there might be a way to make the "aimed shot" thing work. Probably something along the lines of Pendragon's double feint, where you could half the resistance with a skill roll. While zeroing out resistance is too far to go, quartering it with a more difficult roll might not be.

Another idea might be to have some hits that don't impair a character or creature have a sort of stunned/shocked/reeling effect that requires some time to recover. 

Some time of ability to gang up on an opponent could help too. 

But probably resilience is just too high, compared to how hit points work. For example a creature with 24 hp in RQ isn't all that much tougher than one with 16 hp. Especially when you factor in for hit locations. It's only like 2 more  HP per location. But on the resistance table it's a huge jump in durability. I think I'll look at torso or abdomen hp for creatures in RQ and see if I could match that sort of progression. 

On 17/10/2017 at 3:37 AM, Atgxtg said:

LOL! I guess I'm a creature of habit. 

I think I'd like to try and come up with a better, simpler way to handle the problem. I think there might be a way to make the "aimed shot" thing work. Probably something along the lines of Pendragon's double feint, where you could half the resistance with a skill roll. While zeroing out resistance is too far to go, quartering it with a more difficult roll might not be.

Another idea might be to have some hits that don't impair a character or creature have a sort of stunned/shocked/reeling effect that requires some time to recover. 

Some time of ability to gang up on an opponent could help too. 

But probably resilience is just too high, compared to how hit points work. For example a creature with 24 hp in RQ isn't all that much tougher than one with 16 hp. Especially when you factor in for hit locations. It's only like 2 more  HP per location. But on the resistance table it's a huge jump in durability. I think I'll look at torso or abdomen hp for creatures in RQ and see if I could match that sort of progression. 

Resilience (as opposed to HP) is the average of (CON + SIZ + POW); super huge creatures might not have high POW and therefore not as high Resilience as you might expect. Dragons, I suppose are the exception here, being traditionally tough, large and powerful. But dragonslaying has always been difficult in literature.

13 hours ago, Questbird said:

Resilience (as opposed to HP) is the average of (CON + SIZ + POW); super huge creatures might not have high POW and therefore not as high Resilience as you might expect. Dragons, I suppose are the exception here, being traditionally tough, large and powerful. But dragonslaying has always been difficult in literature.

Yeah, but in BRP you usually don't have to whittle down a character's or creature's total hit points to take them out of the fight- normally you just have to disable a hit hit location such as the head, chest or abdomen. So using 33-40% of the value as the resistance would probably give you results closer to BRP/RQ. Since you are putting POW into the equation (which lowers the value), I think the .40% value would be about right. 

For example, going back to the RQ3 Dragon (CON 35 SIZ 70, POW 20), it would have 53 hit points in RQ, and a Resilience of 42. But if you used the 40% hit location value, you get resistance scores of 24 (by hit points) and 17 (with POW factored in), which would make dragons about as killable as they are in RQ. And, after you factor in the 24 point armor (!!!) things should work out fine, mechanically. 

11 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Yeah, but in BRP you usually don't have to whittle down a character's or creature's total hit points to take them out of the fight- normally you just have to disable a hit hit location such as the head, chest or abdomen. So using 33-40% of the value as the resistance would probably give you results closer to BRP/RQ. Since you are putting POW into the equation (which lowers the value), I think the .40% value would be about right. 

For example, going back to the RQ3 Dragon (CON 35 SIZ 70, POW 20), it would have 53 hit points in RQ, and a Resilience of 42. But if you used the 40% hit location value, you get resistance scores of 24 (by hit points) and 17 (with POW factored in), which would make dragons about as killable as they are in RQ. And, after you factor in the 24 point armor (!!!) things should work out fine, mechanically. 

BRP doesn't use hit locations by default. Neither does Magic World, and neither do I.

This formula might work if you want to apply this system to hit locations though.

18 hours ago, Questbird said:

BRP doesn't use hit locations by default. Neither does Magic World, and neither do I.

This formula might work if you want to apply this system to hit locations though.

Except BRP is a trimmed down version of RQ, and most versions of those game mechanics either use hit locations or a major wound mechanic.  Without such a game mechanic it's pretty hard to drop even an average human with one hit. With most weapons the attacker will need  to get a impale and/or do really well with his db. Of course two or three hits will drop just about anybody. But since your resistance tabel mechanic doesn't have any sort of cumulative effect you wind up with big critters just shrugging off injuries, with no effect. 

3 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Except BRP is a trimmed down version of RQ, and most versions of those game mechanics either use hit locations or a major wound mechanic.  Without such a game mechanic it's pretty hard to drop even an average human with one hit. With most weapons the attacker will need  to get a impale and/or do really well with his db. Of course two or three hits will drop just about anybody. But since your resistance tabel mechanic doesn't have any sort of cumulative effect you wind up with big critters just shrugging off injuries, with no effect. 

Yes, that is an effect for large critters - hence the huge thread about it. I think some sort of cumulative damage thing might be necessary for them -- which is annoying because it defeats one purpose of the system (to minimise bookkeeping). There needs to be some way of handling them though. I don't mind the 'cumulative damage for the combat round' approach I guess, though not overjoyed.

However the system is modelled on human scale so for human vs. human it's quite possible to drop an opponent with one hit, and I'm happy with the way that works.

On 10/19/2017 at 7:30 PM, Questbird said:

Yes, that is an effect for large critters - hence the huge thread about it. I think some sort of cumulative damage thing might be necessary for them -- which is annoying because it defeats one purpose of the system (to minimise bookkeeping). There needs to be some way of handling them though. I don't mind the 'cumulative damage for the combat round' approach I guess, though not overjoyed.

Yes, that's why I think using a portion of hit points works. In RQ a hit that gets 30 points past armor is going to be a big problem for a dragon.  The same in Strombringer and most other versions of BRP. Note that if you're worried about human scale opponents you could factor in some sort of fixed add, say 6 points to keep their resilience scores the same while reduce the resilience scores for larger things.

You might also want to do away with the automatic results on the resistance tables, and go with the 5%/95% min/max rolls (or even 1%/99%). That way a character always has some chance of dropping a big creature, and a human always has some chance of soaking a hit from a big creature. 

Another option might be to alter specials so that they don't increase damage but instead reduce resilience. If an impale halved resilience then impales wouldn't be much different to people, but capable of dropping bigger monsters. 

On 22/10/2017 at 12:25 AM, Atgxtg said:

Yes, that's why I think using a portion of hit points works. In RQ a hit that gets 30 points past armor is going to be a big problem for a dragon.  The same in Strombringer and most other versions of BRP. Note that if you're worried about human scale opponents you could factor in some sort of fixed add, say 6 points to keep their resilience scores the same while reduce the resilience scores for larger things.

You might also want to do away with the automatic results on the resistance tables, and go with the 5%/95% min/max rolls (or even 1%/99%). That way a character always has some chance of dropping a big creature, and a human always has some chance of soaking a hit from a big creature. 

Another option might be to alter specials so that they don't increase damage but instead reduce resilience. If an impale halved resilience then impales wouldn't be much different to people, but capable of dropping bigger monsters. 

A Resilience roll of 01-05 for named characters only is always successful (could make it 01 for anyone else). Success means keep fighting, failure means they are out of the fight at the end of the current combat round. A fumble always fails. So even big monsters can be felled that way.

The rules as I wrote them say that a critical attack ignores armour; resulting Resilience check is also Difficult. But maybe halving the Resilience target would be better.

Example

The classic RQ3 Dragon (CON 35 SIZ 70, POW 20), it would have 53 hit points in RQ, and a Resilience of 42

faces a warrior with a long sword (damage 14*).

The warrior scores a critical hit on the dragon

A critical hit ignores armour and the long sword is an impaling weapon so it does double damage (24)

Resilience roll for the dragon:

As written: A difficult resilience roll. 

50% + ((Resilience – damage) x 5%)

half of 50 + ((42 - 24) x 5%) = 70% chance the dragon is still able to fight.

OR

A standard resilience roll with half the dragon's resilience

50% + ((half Resilience - damage) x 5%)

50 + ((21 - 24) x 5%) = 35% chance the dragon is still able to fight.

Obviously the second way is more devastating.

By contrast a normal hit from the warrior would be unlikely to do anything as armour would count so Resilience check would be probably  be about 220%; only a fumble would bring the beast down.

It looks like halving the target's Resilience on a critical might be a better approach than halving the Resilience roll.

* calculated from max sword damage 1d8+2 plus max damage bonus, in this case 1d4

Yeah, I think the second approach better reflects how things would go normally. In most versions of the rules, 

12 hours ago, Questbird said:

* calculated from max sword damage 1d8+2 plus max damage bonus, in this case 1d4

Shouldn't that be 1d8+1+1d4? for a max of 13?, up to a 22 on an impale? 

But otherwise, I agree that the second method seems to match up more closely to what would happen in most versions/variants of BRP/RQ. A 22 point hit through armor would most likely drop just about anything. In RQ a dragon could fight on for a few more rounds with CONx1% rolls, but you don't really need that. 

BTW, You might want to fine tune the "how Injured are You?" section a bit to reflect how severe the resilience rolls a character had to make. It would seem kinda silly for someone who took only a minor hit (or, if I read the rules correctly, no damage at all) to drop dead. In addition to being a bit unrealistic, it is probably going to cause a lot of PCs to die prematurely, since most PCs with have a 2-3% chance of fumbling. Maybe something like a First Aid roll could bump the CON roll to easy or maybe just bump up the result a success level (maybe 2 for a special,)? 

On 25/10/2017 at 12:08 AM, Atgxtg said:

Yeah, I think the second approach better reflects how things would go normally. In most versions of the rules, 

Shouldn't that be 1d8+1+1d4? for a max of 13?, up to a 22 on an impale? 

But otherwise, I agree that the second method seems to match up more closely to what would happen in most versions/variants of BRP/RQ. A 22 point hit through armor would most likely drop just about anything. In RQ a dragon could fight on for a few more rounds with CONx1% rolls, but you don't really need that. 

BTW, You might want to fine tune the "how Injured are You?" section a bit to reflect how severe the resilience rolls a character had to make. It would seem kinda silly for someone who took only a minor hit (or, if I read the rules correctly, no damage at all) to drop dead. In addition to being a bit unrealistic, it is probably going to cause a lot of PCs to die prematurely, since most PCs with have a 2-3% chance of fumbling. Maybe something like a First Aid roll could bump the CON roll to easy or maybe just bump up the result a success level (maybe 2 for a special,)? 

How injured are you?

At the end of the fight, make a CONx5 check:

• critical or
  • special success – Healthy (knocked out by pain only)
  • success – Walking Wounded
  • failure – Badly Wounded
  • special failure (failure with 1 or 2 on the units die) – Dying
  • fumble – Dead

Yes, you could die with one blow in this system. But first you'd have to:

• get hit by attacker
  • fail to parry or dodge
  • take the blow and fail a Resilience check and then
  • roll a fumble

So if all of that goes wrong for you, I guess it is literally Bad Luck. You can also die in one blow in the normal combat system with hit points. Since you roll after the fight I would allow successful First Aid rolls and so forth to help by raising the roll by one success level. In some ways this makes the system less fatal than the normal one.

Remember that if you need to roll a Resilience check you have been hit by a weapon, and most likely injured in some way -- if you fail the check it means that you have at least been knocked unconscious or semi-conscious. The hitpointless system just triages these injuries into 'still able to fight' or not. All but the most bloodthirsty characters won't really care if their defeated opponents bleed to death on the battlefield or crawl away later to live out their lives quietly on a farm somewhere.

On 10/25/2017 at 7:36 PM, Questbird said:

How injured are you?

At the end of the fight, make a CONx5 check:

• critical or
  • special success – Healthy (knocked out by pain only)
  • success – Walking Wounded
  • failure – Badly Wounded
  • special failure (failure with 1 or 2 on the units die) – Dying
  • fumble – Dead

Yes, you could die with one blow in this system. But first you'd have to:

• get hit by attacker
  • fail to parry or dodge
  • take the blow and fail a Resilience check and then
  • roll a fumble

It looks like all you have to do is roll a fumble. I don;t see anything specially in the "How Injured Are You?" section that says you have to be hit or fail a resilience check. It just says "at the end of the fight, make a CONx5 check". So, technically, a character could make his resilience checks or not even get hit and die from a fumbled CON roll.  Unless I'm missing something somewhere in the text.

Personally, I think the character should at least get hit. I could see something like an easy CON roll for those who got hit but make their checks, and possibly even a difficult CON roll for those who either did really badly on their resilience rolls or who got an "overkill" effect (i.e. damage beats resilience by 10+ for an "autofail").I'm not all that committed to the latter, but do think the "must be hit/damaged" thing should be spelled out.  

10 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

It looks like all you have to do is roll a fumble. I don;t see anything specially in the "How Injured Are You?" section that says you have to be hit or fail a resilience check. It just says "at the end of the fight, make a CONx5 check". So, technically, a character could make his resilience checks or not even get hit and die from a fumbled CON roll.  Unless I'm missing something somewhere in the text.

Personally, I think the character should at least get hit. I could see something like an easy CON roll for those who got hit but make their checks, and possibly even a difficult CON roll for those who either did really badly on their resilience rolls or who got an "overkill" effect (i.e. damage beats resilience by 10+ for an "autofail").I'm not all that committed to the latter, but do think the "must be hit/damaged" thing should be spelled out.  

Well that was an omission on my part if it wasn't clear. The CONx5 roll at the end of the fight is only for those who have failed a Resilience check and been knocked out of the fight earlier. Everyone else is assumed to be healthy enough, though they might have taken a scratch or two.

it wasn't clear-at least to me. Maybe becuase in some RPGs they do something similar after a battle to see how banged up a character is after the battle. Often an injury that doesn't present much of a problem during a fight can become serious or even life threatening after the fight. Stuff like cracked ribs or minor cuts getting infected and going septic. 

Alos, how does first aid or magic work with this variant? Both in terms of during the fight and for healing up afterwards? Since we don't get or track damage points we don't know how many points of Heal to cast.