WARHAMMER LIVES ON!!!!

Ars Mysteriorum

Fantasy Flight Games has been granted the rights to Warhammer Fantasy and 40,000 Board Games, CCG, and RPG products!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/pr-2008-GamesWorkshop-Sabertooth.pdf

LONG LIVE THE WARHAMMER!

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

Unfortunately no, not really.

They have a sad tendency to suddenly give up on games which do not sell

"good enough". However, Warhammer will doubtless sell well, and therefore

should be "out of danger".

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Unfortunately no, not really.

They have a sad tendency to suddenly give up on games which do not sell

"good enough". However, Warhammer will doubtless sell well, and therefore

should be "out of danger".

Hmmm. For older fans this sounds like deja vu.

FFG does create quality products. However, I'm concerned because they have put time and effort with the slightly vaporware-ish Anima RPG that has marketing elements of D&D. If that anime-based piece of crap ever gets off the ground, I fear for Warhammer's well-being taking into account its lack of lucrative peripheral support. Anima looks highly marketable and would appeal much more to a younger crowd of gamers than Warhammer ever would, as well as being better suited to FFG's style of marketing.

Any RPG that is not D&D or WoD is never "out of danger" anymore. This brings up a shadow of a possible conundrum. Will future RPG releases simply act as supplemental for card games, video games, and miniatures? RPG's are most definitely not where the money is at. I see this especially in the case of D&D. They are streamlining RPG rules likely to allow the miniatures game to run more parallel to the rules as a whole. With simpler, more similar rules, it's likely many D&D players will see no reason not to use their miniatures for a skirmish (especially in the all-to-frequent case of not having all the players show up). Sales for miniatures, especially with more integrated support from the RPG itself, will very likely increase tremendously as a result.

Warhammer, because of Games Workshop's deep focus on its overpriced, complex miniatures line and little else, is simply too much of a stubborn beast to achieve similar results as D&D. Because of this, Warhammer RPGs will always be in danger. If the Warhammer MMO manages to really get off the ground (and I think it will), I wonder how this will impact the RPG. More security I hope.

I guess we'll see.

By the way, Arkham Horror RULES.

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

Though, I have to say about Dark Heresy... If you thought you were underpowered in Warhammer, hoo boy.

With 4 advances at most, we're looking at a top end of 60% for any skill. Either the GM is going to get modifier happy to ease players into the low-powered system or the players will be mature enough to deal with the fact that most people do in fact miss in combat.

I have players that gripe about not hitting anything as it is...

- H.P. Lovecraft

Though, I have to say about Dark Heresy... If you thought you were underpowered in Warhammer, hoo boy.

With 4 advances at most, we're looking at a top end of 60% for any skill. Either the GM is going to get modifier happy to ease players into the low-powered system or the players will be mature enough to deal with the fact that most people do in fact miss in combat.

I have players that gripe about not hitting anything as it is...

Try this

Dark Heresy

Thank you, but only some of it is my work (Character Creation alternatives, Dark Eldar, Commissars, Hrud) and the rest from other contributors.

You know I use to run 40K straight from the Codexes as a RPG using the WEG D6 rules.

I knew another guy who ran 40K using the MEGS DC Heroes rules.

Both had flaws, but worked pretty well over all. Biggest problem was giving players characters skills.