Craft (Torturer)?

nerdvana

Craft is defined as the ability "to fashion and create various items". Why then was Torturer included as an example Craft. It seems more like a Lore (which "defines an area of knowledge for the character") to me. In my game I'm treating it as such. Probably has no effect and is covered by "Rule 0". Just sharing.

To me, a Craft is in the doing and a Lore is in the knowing.

Torturing is in the doing, so it should be a Craft, in my opinion.

It is the difference between knowing that slowly pulling someone's arms out of their sockets causes excruciating pain and being able to do it without killing the person and allowing a confession to be obtained.

Your torture may vary, of course.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

In Melnibone they'd view it as an Art, but in Pang Tang it's be a Craft. The difference is between a craftsman and an artist, in that the methods can be very very similar but the desired outcome differs.

Someone who studied it but didn't do it would have it as a Lore.

I'd allow anyone with either skill (Craft/Art/Lore) to use it as the other with a simple increase in difficulty of one step.

In RQ6 or other games that use augments then they might augment each other, and also a medical/healing skill might be a suitable augment.

Does Legend use augments? I've never read it, one of the few d100 games I have never read.

In Melnibone they'd view it as an Art, but in Pang Tang it's be a Craft. The difference is between a craftsman and an artist, in that the methods can be very very similar but the desired outcome differs.

Someone who studied it but didn't do it would have it as a Lore.

I'd allow anyone with either skill (Craft/Art/Lore) to use it as the other with a simple increase in difficulty of one step.

In RQ6 or other games that use augments then they might augment each other, and also a medical/healing skill might be a suitable augment.

Does Legend use augments? I've never read it, one of the few d100 games I have never read.

Yes, Legend uses skill augmentation. And while I know that some groups might think of it as an art or as a craft, the skill rules are not written by the characters but by us in the real world and so should reflect "reality" (at least as I as a GM see it) but these are good ideas.

As a Games Master, I wouldn't allow Torturer to be either a Lore, Craft or Art. And even as a Craft, it would not be made available to player characters. Too many ethical issues, and there'd always be the one player who gets bored and stupid, and wants to try it out on random NPCs and the other player characters, like the player of a thief character who suddenly says "I backstab the team leader!" out of the blue when he thinks the focus of attention's shifted away from him for a moment.

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.

It's for that reason that I'd only allow it even to turn up in a story where everybody knows that mature themes are going to be touched upon - something that Legend allows with the inclusion of the Seduction skill, the Divine spell Aphrodisiac and, of course, everything in Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic. If Seduction skill is not suited for the campaign, Craft (Torturer) certainly won't be.

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.

Actually, it's only really flavour. If you prefer to have Torture as a Craft, Art or Lore then knock yourself out. It makes a slight difference to the starting skill, but that's about it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

As a Games Master, I wouldn't allow Torturer to be either a Lore, Craft or Art. And even as a Craft, it would not be made available to player characters. Too many ethical issues, and there'd always be the one player who gets bored and stupid, and wants to try it out on random NPCs and the other player characters, like the player of a thief character who suddenly says "I backstab the team leader!" out of the blue when he thinks the focus of attention's shifted away from him for a moment.

You've not read enough Moorcock, or GRR Martin or Glen Cook, or...