The RQ Encounter Generator

Michael Hopcroft

I had a request to create pregenerated characters for Mythic Rome for Mythras yesterday   - and found out that there are more of them that would be interesting.

Reasons why you might want to have these are many and explained in that other post.

Encounter Generator solves this neatly for Mythras and old RQ6. Here is a second quickie fix for the problem. Here is a pregenerated characters party that can be used both in Late Republic Roman environment. Characters are at novice level. Generation follows majority of the steps included in the chargen - cultures, careers, appropriate weapons for several professions that seem to be universal in Roman times. These are now for Roman native citizens. Late Republic it is rarer for citizens to have military combat styles if you do not have military background.

Go to that previous post if you want to have or know more about pregenerated characters for Mythras.

Here are the new pregen characters for characters at the start of their career

- Roman Senator
- Roman Slave
- Roman Bureaucrat
- Roman Meretrix 
- Roman Diviner
- Roman Beggar
..and randomly composed group of them with their earlier friends in

- Roman Pregenerated Character Party
https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2017/04/08/more-pregenerated-or-even-degenerate-characters-for-mythic-rome-for-mythras/

• Like 1

Pregenerated Gladiators, Usurers, Priests and Sorcerors for Mythic Rome in Mythras

Here is an additional list of pregenerated characters for Mythic Rome. In the past couple of days there were already a list of pregenerated characters for Mythic Rome for Mythras and that was expanded even more with additional possibly more degenerate pregenerated ones yesterday. 

Reasons why you might want to have these are many and explained in that other post.

Encounter Generator solves this neatly for Mythras and old RQ6. Here is the third quickie fix for the problem.  Characters are at novice level and made for Late Republic period. Most likely few will notice if you use them in other periods.  Generation follows majority of the steps included in the chargen - cultures, careers, appropriate weapons for several professions that seem to be universal in Roman times. These are now for Roman native citizens. Late Republic it is rarer for citizens to have military combat styles if you do not have military background.

Go to that previous post if you want to have or know more about pregenerated characters for Mythras.

Here are the new pregen characters for characters at the start of their career

- Roman Actor 
- Roman Priest 
- Roman Sorcerer 
- Roman Surgeon 
- Roman Gladiator - Samnite
- Roman Gladiator - Thracian 
- Roman Gladiator - Equus
- Roman Gladiator - Retiarius 
- Roman Usurer 
- Roman Musician 
- Roman Labourer 

..and randomly composed group of them with their earlier friends in

- Roman Pregenerated Non Military Character Party
- Roman Pregenerated Gladiator School Character Party 
- Roman Pregenerated Character Party

https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2017/04/09/pregenerated-gladiators-usurers-priests-and-sorcerors-for-mythic-rome-in-mythras

@hkokko thanks for the pre gens i personally dont have mythic rome, yet, but i appreciate the enthuisiasm and dedication that many of you have for the mythras game. you dont find this kind of passion and love for a system especially for a small press company, no disrespect intended to The Design Mechanism, from alot of the other companies out there. you might get a response or a post on their forum every month or so and i am especially grateful for the community here. so thanks for your time and effort. just in case you thought that no one cares.

• Like 1

Thank you. 

to entice people's interest to the Pamaltelan side, here is something for Fonrit

Pregenerated Characters for Fonrit for Mythras

Sometimes you just need a bit more variety on the kind of characters that people take up. 

Here is larger variety of pregenerated starting characters for Encounter Generator .

These are useful for those times when you just do not have time to go thru the character generation process. The reasons why (TPK, party member died in the middle of the game, surprise additional player...) are many. These follow the same principles than in the previous pregeneration articles (Standard Barbarians, Nomad Herders and Warriors, Barbarians, City Thieves and Priests, Esrolia, Balazar, Hsunchern - Civilization vs Primitives and Larger Variety of Pregenerated Characters for Esrolia and Sartar) that were usable for example in Pavis and Sartar.

This article expands still more the scope beyond those standard areas to guests who might arrive. 

Fonrit is one of the more intriguing areas in Glorantha. Here is a set of pregenerated characters for a game in a land where deceit is the new normal, trust was sacrificed centuries ago, colors are bright, conspiracy and assassinations are on the menu every day, Renewed battle for the (relative) freedom for slaves and Oldsters try to uphold the oppression and Vadeli are your friends while Silence is not. 

- Fonrit Slave Soldier
- Fonrit Slave Soldier (Agimori)
- Fonrit Thief
- Fonrit Merchant
- Fonrit Slavemaster
- Fonrit Harem Guard
- Fonrit Spy
- Fonrit Dancer
- Fonrit Conspirator
- Fonrit Storyteller

You can generate a group of them by generating

- Fonrit Characters Party

https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2017/04/14/pregenerated-characters-for-fonrit/

• 5 months later...

Down On Your Luck in Monster Island - Law, Order and Hapless Explorers

I have been working for awhile with some side projects related to my campaign in Monster Island. As a result of those I also created a few Encounters that might be useful in Monster Island or possibly even other places play.

Monster Island is a wonderful place for hex crawl type activities and this is what the party has been doing the last few sessions using several new things I have been working on. Extended conflicts have been used from M-Space and they are actually rather wonderful way of setting heists, chases etc up. More on that later. I have been using Johnn Fourr's Campaign Logger to build up a personal private campaign log. It is truly good way of tracking your campaign with minimal effort and the latest addition of random generators that you can either keep private or use what they provide or contribute as open source have been extremely useful. More on that also later.
In my campaign Monster Island is of course an alternate form of Loral - perhaps a touch more accessible than in the official lore but still plenty tough and modified to fit my Fonrit.  Fonritans of course want to exploit the riches of the island. M'Simba M'Samba the Green Walker is around but not seen...   Some wish to see him, others definitely do not.  Beware what you wish for you might get it, and it might not be what you thought it was.
Governor's Guard is a small of group of toughest mercenaries so far seen. White Death is a larger group of mercenaries brought in to keep law and order. Stingers is militia volunteers.
  • Governor's Guard
  • White Death Mercenary
  • White Death Mercenary - A Strong One
  • Stingers - Colonists Militia at Monster Island
The following parties might be encountered
  • Governors Guard with White Death Patrol
  • White Death Patrol
  • Stingers Grimsand Militia Patrol
  • Umathelan Barbarian Thugs in Monster Island
  • Afadjanni Corsair Thugs in Monster Island
  • Maslo Agimori Thugs In Monster Island
  • Mixed Group of Thugs in Monster Island
  • Afadjann Explorer Party in Monster Island
  • Umathelan Explorers in Monster Island
  • Haragalan Explorers in Monster Island
  • Serpent People Sorceror Party with Primitive Guard
  • Serpent People Sorceror Party with Undead

You will likely find more useful encounters with the Encounter Generator. 

https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2017/09/24/down-on-your-luck-in-monster-island-law-order-and-hapless-explorers/

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
Some forgotten beasties from AiG, Mythic Constantinople and Monster Island

Noticed that I have not published some creatures in the generator.
Here are few of the unpublished ones, some of them from AiG:
  • Flint cat
  • Raptor, Giant
  • Walktapi
  • Nandi Bear
  • Harpy, Elder
  • Hag of Darkness
  • Lesser Hydra, 5 headed
From Mythic Constantinople
  • Elder Ghoul
  • Broukolak, Man Form
  • Broukolak, Undead
For Monster Island
  • Gigantic Jellyfish
  • Fast Initiate of Jaguar Goddess
  • Initiate of Jaguar Goddess
  • Initiate of Jaguar Goddess, Jaguar Form
  • Servant of Jaguar Goddess
  • Servants of Jaguar Goddess

• Like 1

Classic Fantasy Monsters for Mythras With Some Blood Tide Welling In

Classic Fantasy is a Mythras supplement for dungeoneering in the percentile world. Here are some of the monsters (some of them classics we grew to love in the early days of RPGs) in the Mythras Encounter Generator format.

• Doppelgänger
  • Giant Killer Frog
  • Poisonous Giant Frog
  • Ghast
  • Gorgon Lesser
  • Hell Hound
  • Nightmare Horse Demon
There are also some encounters adapted from the evocative Blood Tide supplement for pirate campaigns.
  • Chupacabra
  • Demon Fish
For the fun of it here is an undead variety of the crocodile of the Pamaltelan continent.
  • Undead Horror Crocodile

You will likely find more useful encounters with the Encounter Generator. There are users guides to finding encounters and creating encounters and monsters

https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2018/01/21/classic-fantasy-monsters-for-mythras-with-some-blood-tide-welling-in/

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Here is a grab bag of Mythras Encounter updates. Some sorcerers, Gloranthan form of ghouls, many insects, rabble and some pregen for those quick games with starting characters.

Encounter generator is a way to very quickly generate enemies and NPCs for your campaign with full stats easy to reference. There are more than 3000 enemy templates to choose from - likely to contain something for your campaign as well.

Umathelan Pregens
  • Umathelan Entertainer pregen
  • Sartar entertainer pregen
  • Sartar Steward Pregen
  • Umathelan Steward Pregen
  • Umathelan Beasthandler Pregen
  • Umathelan Courtier Pregen

Umathelan Rabble
  • Umathelan Steward Rabble
  • Umathelan Entertainer Rabble
  • Umathelan Warrior Underling
  • Umathelan Beasthandler Rabble

All the underlings and rabble updated.

From the new Gloranthan Bestiary
  • Fox woman human form
  • Fox Woman animal form
  • Grotaron (Maindstone Archer) updated
  • Gobbler updated
  • Jolanti updated
  • Ham beetle updated
  • Guard Beetle
  • Giant Antler Beetle
  • Mud Beetle
  • Great Gray Beetle
  • Giant Rhino Beetle
  • Giant Dragonflyupdated
  • Giant Troll Mantis
  • Giant Crane
  • Pig dog
  • War tree
  • Runner updated

Botanical Zombie

Some Ghoulish fun
  • Ghoul Party
  • Gloranthan Ghoul seasoned
  • Gloranthan Ghoul veteran
  • Gloranthan Ghoul Strong One
  • Gloranthan Ghoul Elite

Sorcerers
  • Adept Black ring
  • Apprentice Black Ring

https://notesfrompavis.blog/2018/12/08/encounter-update-sorcerersgloranthan-ghouls-insects-and-umathela-pregens/

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 9:18 PM, VonKatzen said:

Just out of curiosity how much work would it take to create a portable version of this? Not necessarily an independent program, but something like a complete web archive that could be used from a jump drive or something?

Quite a bit I guess - it has been asked maybe 2-4 times - once a year during the last 4-5 years tool has been in existence. The developer (skoll) considers this to be pretty much feature complete. So do I - pretty much. If there is additional development - there are some things that I would consider to help more than trying to create extra complexity and work in trying to maintain a portable version.  The technology would need to be different. It will not be uptodate with the templates and features that are constantly being updated.   Currently there are no major bugs - it works on its own. 

I am involved in another tool (campaign logger) that has portable and internet versions separate. The portable version has not been developed for awhile as most players in most occasions have internet access - so the web version has large variety of features not existing in portable ones. And that is small commercial product... 

Why would you want to have portable. It is portable enough already - using it constantly on my iPad - it just requires the internet connection. 

If you cannot have internet connection - it is super easy to prepare for session by generating enough opponents before hand of any kind whatsoever. I have a small folder of them printed out just in case - any permanent ones I could also store as pdf in Evernote or file folders. For example for city - few encounters before hand, for jungle - few human, few animal, few monsters, for a forbidden temple - few guards, few monsters, the big baddie and so on...

The thing with having the printed ones out is that you can mark them during the melee (hit points, conditions etc...) 

In Mythras it is hard to have several melees in a night - so few ready made printed or pdf should be enough. If you are going to a cottage for a week of gaming and no internet there - again it is easy to prep beforehand - printing larger amount or pdf:ing larger amount. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

What's another year, it's been almost a year since I updated here with any new creatures. Here are:

Spirits in a Material World (Djinn special)

Was reading the Other Sinbad and Dead Djinn in Cairo for inspiration to a sea voyage that my players might be undertaking in the seas surrounding Fonrit . This reminded me that I had not yet created the mighty (and not so mighty) Djinn in the Mythras Encounter Generator.

Pete Nash did a wonderful article on Fenix papers to bring the Djinn to life in Bartimaeus style and that gave me the stats.
The Djinns use a new sorcery order “Smokeless, Scorching Fire” for example “Adept of Smokeless, Scorching Fire”.  I made three levels (Apprentice, Adept and Mage). Djinns also needed new abilities in the Enemy Ability Feature set.
Here they are approximated in Mythras Encounter Generator.
  • Imp
  • Foliot
  • Djinn

https://notesfrompavis.blog/2019/11/24/spirits-in-a-material-world-djinn-special/

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Mythras Encounter Generator visits Lyonesse

As the year's first post here are a few Lyonesse encounters. 

• Bearded Gryph
  • Hulk of Cam Brakes
  • Heceptor
  • Natrid
  • Screamer
  • Ska Warrior
  • Unicorn
For spirit beings only few links are put here as direct links. Rest of them can be found via MeG search for example with tag: Lyonesse
Darklings
  • Small Lesser Darkling Greater Elder Ancient Elder
Willawen
  • Small, Lesser, Willawen, Greater, Elder, Ancient Elder
Merrihew
  • Small, Lesser, Merrihew, Greater, Elder, Ancient Elder
Quist
  • Small, Lesser, Quist, Greater, Elder, Ancient Elder
Hyslop

• Small, Lesser, Hyslop, Greater, Elder, Ancient Elder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Visited the country side - found questing shamans (wibble) and stampedes in the jungle (double wibble), plateaus and savannah/prairie

Questing Shamans and Beast Stampedes

There has been a few shaman party’s in the MeG but nothing for the questing shamans. Questing shamans are usually shamans or high shamans and they might be accompanied by their totem animals or a strong spirit guide. 
Questing Shamans
Here are the first few questing shaman parties
  • Questing Kangi Shaman – ape totem animal
  • Questing Mandahi Shaman – python totem animal
  • Questing Kumongi Shaman – spider totem animal
For these strong spirit guides have been created. 
Questing shamans appear also in the toolsfrompavis standard encounters.
Stampede
Something, it might have been human hunting party, lightning, volcano or hungry predator has caused the herd animals to stampede
The are now modelled as Flocks (from Monster Island) in MeG. They can be found as Stampede in the Jungle and Stampede in the Savannah. 
  • Stampede in Jungle
uses mainly herbivore saurians as the stampeding animals
  • Stampede in Puna Plateau
uses currently only Mammoth as stampeding animals
  • Stampede in the Savannah
uses bison or savannah buffalo
This is now also reflected in the toolsfrompavis standard encounters in Jungle. 

You can generate encounters for your Mythras game easily with MeG

https://notesfrompavis.blog/2021/05/30/questing-shamans-and-beast-stampedes/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Updating the Mythras Encounter Generator Spirits – Sickness Spirits

I have started to update the older spirit encounters in MeG. Part of them were created pre-Mythras RQ6 and quite a few of them in the early days of MeG feature development.  I am starting with sickness spirits. 

So what changes – Spirits will use newly refactored Spirit Abilities feature and use all of the Spirit Abilities from Mythras (3rd printing). They will use them by having them as “Spirit Abilities” feature in individual spirits. For the sickness spirits this will mean that they have Covert, Manifestation and Disease feature with references to the rulebook where necessary. All of the artefacts of older rules and MeG feature workarounds are updated to the current feature set. For example in earlier rule sets there was onset time for sickness to start, now that does not exist in current rule sets for spirits. 

For each of the sickness spirit intensity levels from 1-4 there is added a randomised Disease condition available for sickness spirit (for that intensity level). For example for Sickness spirit intensity 1 there will be only one disease condition randomised. 

For higher level intensities there is created all the variations of disease conditions. For example for level 2 there is sickness spirit intensity 2 (1+1) and sickness spirit intensity 2 (2) – first one will have two randomized disease conditions for level 1 and the second spirit will have only one with disease condition level 2. 

For intensity 3 there will be three spirits – one with three first level conditions,one with one first level and one second level and one with one with one third level. 

There are also a few parties created to generate
  • spirits from all four intensity levels
  • only spirits from intensity level 2
  • only spirits from intensity level 3
  • only spirits from intensity level 4
I have only currently created up to intensity 4 but that should be plenty enough for the opposition. 

There will undoubtedly remain other disease and sickness spirits in MeG created by me. They might get updated or retired later as I get the time.

Other spirits will be updated one by one after summer season. 

You will find the usual Mythras Encounter page here and useful charts here and a set of starting resources for Mythras GMS here

The link below will lead to my blog with pictures and live links to the details of the above

• 2 weeks later...

Alas Babylon – Creatures of Mythic Babylon Unleashed

Design Mechanism published a mighty tome called Mythic Babylon this summer. It contains magic system additions and everything necessary to play a role playing campaign in Babylon – of course including creatures. 
I have added a few of those into the Mythras Encounter Generatorso it will be as easy to generate those than any others. There are also few additional abilities for beasts – Good and Bad Omen, Melammu – a form of frightening splendour and See Ghosts. These have been added as abilities to the MeG.
I have also added tag “Mythic Babylon” for existing creatures that I have created that might be encountered in Babylon. 
First batch of new creatures are
  • Kulullu – the Merpeople
  • Girtablullu – the Scorpion men
  • Katillu – the scorpion demon
  • Apsasu – the Winged Bull (the ones you can see in British Museum)
  • Suhurmasu (Goat Fish)
  • Mushussu (Babylonian Dragon)
  • Lion Fish
These could also fit nicely into a sword and sorcery campaign for example Monster Island. 
There are already aurochs, Babylonian ostrich, Cheetah, Common Griffin, Hyena, Jackal, Lions and Wolves to fit into your Babylonian campaign. 

More Babylonian creatures will join MeG soon.

https://notesfrompavis.blog/2021/07/24/alas-babylon-creatures-of-mythic-babylon-unleashed/

• Like 1

Alas Babylon – The Sequel – More Creatures of Mythic Babylon Unleashed

Now there exists a few more creatures from the Mythic Babylon in the Mythras Encounter Generator. You can find them with tag “Mythic Babylon” in the MeG 
This batch contains
  • Hari Hunter
  • Kurgarra – Taloned Dancers
  • Kusarikku bullmen
  • Lahmu – hairy heromen
  • Uridimmu – mad dog
  • Hallulaja – The Centipede demon
  • Mutu – King Slayer – The Demon Possessed Lion
  • Nimru – The Leopard Demon
These could also fit nicely into a sword and sorcery campaign for example Monster Island.  You can find the previous ones for Mythic Babylon here

More Babylonian creatures will join MeG soon.

https://notesfrompavis.blog/2021/07/25/alas-babylon-the-sequel-more-creatures-of-mythic-babylon-unleashed/

• 2 months later...

Fallen Gods, Monsters and Demons for Mythic Babylon (Mythras)

Here is an update for Mythras Encounter Generator. All of the Fallen Gods, Monsters and Demons for Mythic Babylon now exist at Mythras Encounter Generator
Many of them would be useful for Monster Island or any fantasy campaign with Middle Eastern flavour.
They can be found easily with tag “Mythic Babylon”
The following now exist
Umu Roaring Weather Beast
Gallu – Constable Demon of the Underworld
Iduptu – Demon of the Winds
Ugallu – Porter Demon of the Underworld
Rabisu – Bailiff Demon of the Underworld
Asag – Fallen God
Anzud – Thunderbird
Forest Guardian
Lamastu – Fallen God
Pazuzu
Sikkanu Stone Guardian
Usumgallu, Lion Serpent
Basmu – Venomous Winged Serpent
Musmahhu The seven headed serpent
Previously there were published the Alas Babylon – Creatures of Mythic Babylon Unleashed and Alas Babylon – The Sequel
Later in the autumn I will probably tackle the spirits of Mythic Babylon.
The Mythras Encounter Generator is explained here

https://notesfrompavis.blog/2021/10/16/fallen-gods-monsters-and-demons-for-mythic-babylon-mythras/

Spirits of Mythic Babylon

All of the spirit like beings for Mythic Babylon now exist at Mythras Encounter Generator
Many of them would be useful for Monster Island or any fantasy campaign with Middle Eastern flavour.
They can be found easily with tag “Mythic Babylon”
The following now exist
  • Aburrissanu – Insect Demon
  • Lilili & Musirtu – Owl Demon
  • Hursannu – River Demon
  • Passion Spirit 1,2,3
  • Alu Demon
  • Asakku – Earth Demon
  • Utukku
  • Wind Spirit
  • Greater Wind Spirit
  • Zaqiqu – Dream spirit
  • Etemmu – Ghost
Previously there were published the Fallen Gods,Demons and Monsters of Babylon, Alas Babylon – Creatures of Mythic Babylon Unleashed and Alas Babylon – The Sequel
In addition there now exists a new or updated version of following common beasts
  • Indian Elephant
  • Syrian Elephant
  • Normal Horse
  • War Horse
  • Heavy Work Horse
  • Onager/Kunga
The Mythras Encounter Generator is explained here