The RQ Encounter Generator

Michael Hopcroft

Luther Arkwright creatures emerge – MeG Goes Parallel Lines

Took a look at the two Luther Arkwright supplements for Mythras by Design Mechanism. Few of the creatures there would suit fantasy campaigns especially Monster Island so created them in Mythras Encounter Generator. 

Here are the encounters
  • Rib Ripper
  • Mud Lurker
  • Trench Digger
  • Wriggler
  • Once-Men
  • Rolling Horror

You can find them with tags “Luther Arkwright” and “Monster Island”

Here is the introduction to Mythras Encounter Generator. It currently contains more than 3800 published encounters and more than 580 parties (groups of NPCs around a single theme). There are more than 400 feature lists (for example Curse Spirit Ability, Exotic Poison, Chaotic Feature, Medieval German Name or Appearance – Hair Style etc) that can customise an encounter. Those feature lists contain almost 60000 features in them. There are also stats for 160+ weapons.

Malfois, Imps, Yelping Beast – Creatures of Perceforest Emerge from MeG
Creatures of Perceforest – a supplement playable in Mythras ruleset have now been added to MeG
  • Boar, Horned
  • Briarlord – Lord of the Thicket
  • Chardun – the Thistyl Imp
  • Charlock the Green Man, Spreader of Taint
  • Chimeric Three Headed Bear – an example of Chimeric animal
  • Cockledrake – the Sentient Mat of Vegetation
  • Luiton Brownie The House Helper
  • Luiton – Imp the Mischief Maker
  • Luiton – Bogle – The Stalker in the Dark
  • Luiton will-othewisp – Leading you astray
  • Luiton- Elf, Creator of Delight and Whimsy
  • Luiton-Malfoi – Evil Spirit
  • Luiton-airy spirit – Granter of Wishes
  • Spikenard – Guardian of the Thicket
  • Yelping Beast – the Mythical Yelping Beast
You can find them with tag Perceforest. Quite a few of them would also fit any fantasy campaign or even Monster Island Basics of MeG (Mythras Encounter Generator) can be found here with its more than 3800 encounters…

Creatures of Mythic Rome arrive to MeG
The missing creatures from Mythic Rome supplement have been added to MeG. In addition the tag Mythic Rome has been added to a few other creatures mentioned.
These are the creatures added:
Aithiopian Bull
Amphisbaena (tuned)
Serpent Basilisk
Cacus – Firebelching Giant
Aethiopian Catoblepas
Eale – Horned Giant Beast 
Hippopotami (tuned)
Etruscan Daemone (Charun)
Roman Harpy
Jaculus – Piercing Snake
Kynoprosopo – Dog Man of the Desert 
Roman Lamia
Lemure – Roman spirit of the dead
Leucrocota
Quaker Lizard
Ophi – Flying Snake
Pegasus – Flying Horse
Roman Sphinx
Strix – Bird of Ill Omen
Roman Satyr
All of these and 3800 more are published at Mythras Encounter Generator 
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Mythras Encounter Generator Difficulty Levels Refactored and Many Other Things As Well
The Most Important Table in Mythras (Monster Island page 282) did not exist at the time MeG was created 8 years ago. During that time more than 3800 public encounters have been created and similar number of ones that have been private to their creators’ campaigns. MeG has also evolved during that time getting many new features and most of all the creators have gained experience in how to use the MeG and creators’ ambition has risen as well. 
As I have created 2300+ of the encounters I decided to go back and take a look what I could with some amount of work improve or change based on the experience so far. All creators can change only their own creatures so this is how I changed mine.
One of the contributions of Monster Island was the MITM (Most Important Table in Mythras). It gives you the idea of what skill levels novice, competent, proficient, expert, master and paragon would have and what they are known for.  MeG has a similar ranking but with not as many levels. As currently it is not feasible to change the names of the MeG ranks I made a tentative mapping between MeG and MITM as follows. 
Main skill MITM ranking MeG rank 01-30 Novice Rabble 31-50 Competent Novice 51-70 Proficient Skilled 71-90 Expert Veteran 91+ Master and Paragon Master
After this I generated each (well almost each) of the 2300+ templates I have made at least once and took a look at few of the first npc’s generated from each template what is the main skill generated and the rank MeG has and changed the ranking to correspond to the above. So for example if the MeG rank was skilledand the generation yielded mostly in 71-90 range – I changed the rank to Veteran. And so on. Most often this was combat skill but for some templates for example sorcery magic skills were more appropriate to judge. In some cases I took a general view and not exact view on one skill percentage. For some templates I found that I wanted them to have higher skill to maintain their rank or lower skill to lower their rank so I changed them. In several cases I wanted more variety in the percentages so I changed the flat percentage add to be more varied dice rolls. This changed ranks for 822 of my creations – some went down, some went up. 
I also took a look at the notes block for the creation and if some things could be moved to be “features” like “Abilities”, “Combat Style”, “Basic Poison” etc or if some abilities were missing I added them and cleaned some of the notes block. This changed 173 of the templates. 
I also added few tags here and there but that would need another round sometime in future. 
Some of the monsters and animals were missing “Natural armor” tick box – so they were slower than they need to be in initiative. I added the tick box to everything that was not wearing armor. This changed 465 templates. 
I also changed few characteristics for less than a couple of dozen templates that did not follow the SIZ and STR guidelines from the RAW. 
So what is the benefit of this: 
When you filter by rank in MeG – many creatures (all of mine) now are of appropriate difficulty level to that rank. So if you want skilled opponents – you are not confronted by masters or if you need masters you will not find novicesin the filtering results. 
Also you will find that those generated have now correct natural armor penalty – so animals and monsters are quicker in initiative. There is also more info in the encounters for the abilities so it is easier to use – do not have to look up the info in the RAW or MI so much. 
I encourage everyone who creates new creatures to fill the rank correctly and use the “features” and natural armor tick boxes. It is also hugely beneficial for all of us as users if you use enough proper and useful tagging. When you go back and visit your templates – it would be useful to do similar changes if the creatures are public. 
So what will happen in the next refactoring – perhaps more tagging, more adding of combat styles and additional features and more explanations what the creatures are and where to refer for more information. This may come some time in future but not this year… 
You will find Mythras Encounter Generator here

• 5 months later...

Numbers Post: 4000th Encounter at MeG – Mythras Encounter Generator

Mythras Encounter Generator (and its previous branding) has been in existence now for about 9 years – since 2013. I wrote my first post about it in September 9, 2013 and it had been in existence a few months before. 

MeG has generated 649 256 NPCs since the early days. 

Today there were four new encounters created 
  • Aru-Jumbie
  • Progadu Mind-eater
  • Astorwal Courser – Wizard’s Guardian
  • Chaos Giant Champion

The 4000th public encounter was the Astorwal Courser. Altogether there are over 8300 templates in MeG – a little bit over half are private templates. 

There are 59272 additional feature items in 408 categories (like Abilities, Curse Spirit Abilities, Basic Poisons, Exotic Poisons, Saxon names, Avenue of Delights Effects and so on). 

Some of these NPCs belong to one of the more than 180 cults or sorcery orders of which there are more than 620 different ranks detailed. 
The main link to Mythras Encounter Generator remains

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Monks of the Order of the Mountain Temple come to MeG

Took a look at indomitable Raleel’s work on cults after our extremely selective invite only summit of Mythras Inner Circle in the last vestiges of northern summer in Helsinki. 
Raleel has created a load of useful cults that are easy to drop in any fantasy / sword and sorcery campaign in Mythras. I promised to put some of this to MeG right away. Here is the Way of the Vulture based on Raleel’s Mountain Temple monk – a wuxia inspired monk. 
I added to MeG all the weapons that the monk order brought in – very nice wuxia style weapons. I added as well the two new combat styles into MeG. The pictures of the weapons are at Raleel’s site. I will be adding these into the combat style cards shortly as well. 
Student of the Way of the Vulture
Disciple of the Way of the Vulture
Master of the Way of the Vulture
Sage of the Way of the Vulture
As a party I added 
Monks of The Way of the Vulture

The weapons will be visible while creating new npc’s if you select “All” for weapons. 

The corresponding “Student,Disciple,Master and Sage” are visible also in the lists for selectable cults – if you want to create your own variations. 
You will find more info on Mythras Encounter Generator here

https://notesfrompavis.blog/2023/09/02/monks-of-the-order-of-the-mountain-temple-come-to-meg/

• Like 2

Mythras Encounter Generator Makes a Trip Into Lands of Faerie

Bestiaire Faerique is a fantastic tome of monsters and encounters in the lands of Faerie made by folks at http://d100.fr/jeux/mythras/ It contains about 30 creatures from folklore, rules for faerie magic and several new creature abilities. 

Here are the first few creatures from the bestiary added to Mythras Encounter Generator

Athach – the strong faerie
Aughiskey – the terrible watery horse
Banshee – the harbinger of doom

Baobhan Sith – a variation of a vampire

Barrow-Wight

The creatures in original bestiaire have fixed character stats, I have modified them here to be varied, so you will get a bit different creature at each generation

You will find more about Mythras Encounter Generator herehttps://notesfrompavis.blog/2023/09/05/mythras-encounter-generator-makes-a-trip-into-lands-of-faerie/

Edited by hkokko
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
MeG Explores Fairyland Creatures
Few more faerie creatures from the Bestiaire Faerique .It is a fantastic tome of monsters and encounters in the lands of Faerie made by folks at http://d100.fr/jeux/mythras/  Duergar – The Evil Dwarf Fachan – Fairy Filborg – Island Giant Filborg – Island Giant Noble Fir darrig – The Faerie Trickster Fomoire – Nether Demon Gwragedd Annwn (Lake Fairy) Jack-In-Irons – Giant Fuath – Water Fairy Leanan-sidhe – The Fairy Muse The creatures in original bestiaire have fixed character stats, I have modified them here to be more varied, so you will get a bit different creature at each generation You will find more about Mythras Encounter Generator here
https://notesfrompavis.blog/2023/09/14/meg-explores-fairyland-creatures/
  • Like 2

Wild Hunt, Spriggan and other Faerie Creatures Crash into Mythras Encounter Generator

Last set of faerie creatures from the Bestiaire Faerique. It is a fantastic tome of monsters and encounters in the lands of Faerie made by folks at http://d100.fr/jeux/mythras/ 

Here are the missing ones: 
  • Leprechaun
  • Llamhigyn y dwr – Water Leaper
  • Merrow – Aquatic Faerie
  • Nuckelavee (faerie) – Demon Centaur
  • Phouka – Shapeshifting Faerie
  • Selkie – Seal Folk
  • Spriggan – Faerie Guardian – Small form
  • Spriggan – Faerie Guardian – Gigantic Form
  • Wild Hunter
  • Wild Hunt Pack Dog
  • Wild Hunt (party)

You will find all the Faerie creatures from the Bestiare Faerique with tag: Faerie The creatures in original bestiaire have fixed character stats, I have modified them here to be more varied, so you will get a bit different creature at each generation

You will find more about Mythras Encounter Generator here

https://notesfrompavis.blog/2023/09/16/wild-hunt-spriggan-and-other-faerie-creatures-crash-into-mythras-encounter-generator/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Seasons of the Dead Arrive to MeG
Seasons of the Dead – that Apocalypse supplement for Mythras has a load of exciting encounters to meet sure to wreak havoc with your exploring party. All of them can be used readily also in fantasy roleplaying game context.

Here are a few:

Virusridden Zombie
Virusridden Runner Zombie
Virusridden Shrieker Zombie
Virusridden Hunter Zombie
Virusridden Zombie Manifestation
You better think about the consequences before you unleash the virus ridden or wrath inflicted encounters at the explorers.

Wrath Inflicted Pirate
Veteran Wrath Inflicted Pirate
Party: Wrath Inflicted Pirate Party
Wrath inflicted can easily destroy a party or even an island….

Giant Caterpillar
Legion Prime in human host
Strong Legion Prime in human host
Legion Prime in Caterpillar form
Legion Prime Larvae
Party: Legion Prime manifestation
These aliens can make life very difficult if you let them spread.

Xenomorph Queen
Xenomorph Drone
Where is Ripley when you need her.

Feral Vampire
Feral Vampire Alpha
Party: Feral Vampire Pack
You will find more info about MeG – Mythras Encounter Generator here and Charts and Tables for Mythras here