BRP Starships pdf - comments welcome

clarence

The bookmarks look great nerdvana! It's much easier to move around in the pdf now. I prefer the Starship Sheet at the end of the design chapter though, but I left it towards the end where you put it.

The file (version 1.1a) is now available here: http://ge.tt/48DIXjM1/v/0?c

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

Just wanted to say that I love the layout of the PDF. The large margins for a side bar, the font choice, pretty much everything about it. It's a nice change of pace from the usual two column approach commonly used for RPG material.

Thank you! I'm happy you like it. The font is my favorite, FF Din (in various weights and sizes), and the margins seemed like a good idea as it is a work in progress, making it easy to insert snippets of information without breaking the layout every time.

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

Just wanted to say that I love the layout of the PDF. The large margins for a side bar, the font choice, pretty much everything about it. It's a nice change of pace from the usual two column approach commonly used for RPG material.

I can see both sides of this. When reading on a computer I prefer full page text in my PDFs but on my phone the two column makes for better reading. However I will say it looks crisp and professional.

I have an ereader that I use for PDFs and also find that two collumn traditional approaches work well for it. I end up having to go landscape to get the entire lines to fit and be of a good size when reading this document. If I had a smaller screen like a phone, I could see it being too small even then.

I'm sorry to hear it's not ideal for your e-reader NathanIW! I tested it on my iPad for readability (working fine in several apps) and didn't have access to any other reading devices (and, I admit, was actually too short sighted to even consider it). I don't think I will make that big changes to the layout, but I can send you the file in a different file format if that would help. Not sure though what format it should be - txt, html, rtf? Just let me know and I will try to solve it.

The best solution for reading something like a ereader would be to use a program such as Calibre to convert the PDF into another format, such a mobi, epub or even txt. Tnen the text would automatically reformat to fit whatever screen it was being viewed on.

For something like that, a single column layout is probably best.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

It works on my ereader just fine. I imagine those with smaller screens like cell phones would have a problem though.

That is where converting it to a ereader friendly format helps. Users can adjust the font size and the reader will automatically reformat the text to fit the viewing area.

@NathanIW: Sorry, I misunderstood you. I agree about the small phone screen problem though.

@Atgxtg: I will check Calibre out. Is it common to convert rpg pdf's like you describe? I don't think I have run into it so far (though I'm not buying that many pdf's either).

@Atgxtg: I will check Calibre out. Is it common to convert rpg pdf's like you describe? I don't think I have run into it so far (though I'm not buying that many pdf's either).

No, it's not that common. For one thing, since most RPG PDFs are copyrighted they tend to have some sort of protection that prevents converting the file. But for something fan-made it shouldn't be a problem.

You're welcome Aramone! I'm happy if you find some use for it and it's good you ask about things not very clearly described.

The hit points for the example ship are taken from the number of Modules (31), plus I bought some additional (11) according to the rules on page 12. I'm not sure how you got it to over seventy modules? Could you elaborate on how you got that number? Have you included other things as well in the total Module value? I will double-check my calculations, but I think I got it right in the example.

I was counting modules for streaming,shields, armor, hyperspace, speed, and handling. I guess it didn't make sense to count speed and handling modules for size characteristic. I guess you don't count streaming, shields, armor, and hyperspace. I really like the rules and plan on using them for BRP/ Star Frontiers/ Traveller game. I read the rule for buying hp after posting and thought that probably had something to do with hp in example.

Yes, it seems you have counted too many things as Modules. Only Modules are Modules : ). The other (Speed, Handling and so on) are Stats and do not count against Size or Hit Points. I hope that clear things up for you.

I would love hear how the rules fare in your BRP/Star Frontiers/Traveller game!

Aramone, we should compare notes since I'm planning on putting together a similar game... BRP/Legend based, Star Frontiers with some infusion from Traveller.

And clarence, I do intend to use your spaceships rules so I'll let you know how that goes when I get that far.

Yes, it seems you have counted too many things as Modules. Only Modules are Modules : ). The other (Speed, Handling and so on) are Stats and do not count against Size or Hit Points.

Why not?

I was thinking that it would be nice if all the systems could be modules. Speed could be bought as Engines modules, Handling as Maneuvering Thruster Modules and so on. That way you could have one method for everything.

It would make sense for everything to be handled the same way, at least when building the starship.

One thing guaranteed to irritate me is a single generation system that needs several different methods of generating each individual thing.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Well, it actually started with everything as modules: Engine modules, FTL modules, Shields modules and so on. But after a while I felt that a few basic stats would be clarifying to separate from other functions, a bit like characteristics versus skills. Strength I guess could be a "skill" (a bit like they do it in Tri-Stat), but to me it seems reasonable to define some things as more fundamental. I might be wrong though and maybe just complicate things... Strangely enough, it ended up as a more streamlined system when I didn't work with everything as modules - not sure why though.