DUNE

PK Games

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've been running a Fading Suns game with BRP on and off for several years now and the only things I had to do was a life path for character generation (Noble Houses, Guilds, alien races, etc) and some rules for energy shields

Can we see your house rules and conversion notes?

I would recommend the Warhammer 40K universe. Not too much space fighter dogfights, but you can squeeze them in.

[...]

It has the intrigue and imperial structure similar to Dune, some Star Wars concepts (not too many) and some cool back ground. I am just not a big fan of Space Marines.

Thanks for the recommendation! To be honest, I've always found the "Orks in Spaaaaaaaaace!" part of WH40K to bring me out in a rash - that plus the "Rather Heavy Gothic Darknesse" bit. Having said that, that was all back in the olden days of Space Marine and Space Hulk and the 1st edition WH40K rules (I'm assuming there have been other editions since then... :lol:), plus having one of our group members who was completely obsessed with the Whole Shebang when it first came out. I'm willing to be reconvinced :D

I'm still toying with the idea of something Cordwainer Smith-ish - it's the best science-fiction I've come across, though you'd probably have to dilute it somewhat to make it accessible!

I'd be very interested to see any BRP SF stuff, though - Fading Suns, Dune, whichever. A good BRP-derived space combat system would be cool.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I'd be very interested to see any BRP SF stuff, though - Fading Suns, Dune, whichever. A good BRP-derived space combat system would be cool.

I'd definitely recommend picking up Worlds Beyond from Chaosium's store.

The system is essentially BRP, and it does have a pretty solid (appearing) starship construction and combat system.

I'd definitely recommend picking up Worlds Beyond from Chaosium's store.

The system is essentially BRP, and it does have a pretty solid (appearing) starship construction and combat system.

Worlds beyond? I looked at this at the chaosium site but didnt find it. Maybe I should improve my searchgle-fu. :)

Well I've been running a Fading Suns game with BRP on and off for several years now and the only things I had to do was a life path for character generation (Noble Houses, Guilds, alien races, etc) and some rules for energy shields

How did you intergrate the magic and psychic powers from Fading Suns?

Worlds beyond? I looked at this at the chaosium site but didnt find it. Maybe I should improve my searchgle-fu. :)

Seems the last copy has finally been sold ...:eek:

That was fast.

They had copies when I mentioned it upthread. (I checked before posting that recommendation.)

What about pdfs? They usually sell pdfs of those books that are OOP.

SGL.

To the best of my knowledge, Chaosium just bought a box of old copies to sell through their store (just like they sell a variety of non-Chaosium games).

They don't have the rights to the actual contents. I also have my doubts that a .pdf exists of the game, given its age.

Turning it into image-only .pdf would entail hours of work, while turning it into a properly-OCRed .pdf would take a couple of weeks (if not longer) of dedicated and tedious work.

The Dune setting would be great if you wanted political scheming, harsh battles and a fast Sci Fi game.

I don't particularly think the powers described in Dune are just skills. They seem to be natural abilities or extensions of skills. Mongoose's Legendary Abilities (LAs) would suit Dune down to the ground and should be imported to BRP as soon as BRP is finally published, even if they are just a fan conversion.

The Voice would definitely suit a Legendary Ability as would hyperspace navigation. The Bene Gesserit and Honoured Matres would also have a number of special abilities that LAs could easily model. Some of them would have Spice as a component, some might not.

Unfortunately I no monger have my copies of the Dune series, so I can't pull out examples, but I have thought for a while that Dune would suit Legendary Abilities really well.

In fact, Dune is a good candidate for a fan conversion as it only has a handful of Backgrounds (Fremen, Imperial Shocktrooper (can't remember their name but it began with an S), Bene Gesserit, Honoured Maters (can't remember the organisation), the chappies who could take on other people's appearance, the chappies who could grow pretty much anything from a genetic model, the individual houses (Harkonnen and Atreides but there are probably more) and whatever others I can't remember off hand).

So, you only have 10-15 Backgrounds, a few professions within each background, descriptions of the few worlds that figure in Dune, rules for the tech/weapons, rules for the special powers, rules for Spice, stats for the Sandworms and God-Emperor and that's about it.

You'd need the books as well, which rules me out.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I would recommend the Warhammer 40K universe. Not too much space fighter dogfights, but you can squeeze them in. The current rules are close to % base, but the careers are heavily flawed and they forgot to get an editor and left some basic stuff out of the game. (fluff, charts and such refer to orks and eldar, but just try finding stats for them, and vehicles as a separate PDF?)

It has the intrigue and imperial structure similar to Dune, some Star Wars concepts (not too many) and some cool back ground. I am just not a big fan of Space Marines.

I use Star Wars as 2/5's and WH40K as another 2/5's of my space campaign...Sith vs. Chaos Space Marines and Jedi vs. Sisters of Battle..oh yeah...and PC Inquisitors...all BRP'ed up! If only the Demons of Copyright Infringement wouldn't utterly destroy my every molecule, I would so put this stuff up for all to see (and ridicule :o )

As far as conversions go...they aren't that hard. I usually just cut and paste Wikipedia and add in the game stats where appropriate (but that is for personal use and no one sees those awful printouts but me)...the hard part is formatting (easy these days...just save as .rtf) and getting "correct" data from the lot of sources out there. Doing an "original work" is just a pain if it's for home use, you know?

-STS

Imperial Shocktrooper (can't remember their name but it began with an S)

Honoured Maters (can't remember the organisation)

the chappies who could take on other people's appearance

the chappies who could grow pretty much anything from a genetic model

In order:

Sardaukar

Fish Speakers

Tleilaxu Face Dancers

Bene Tleilax (they make gholas)

(Yeah, I'm a huge Dune geek. I admit it...)

Fish Speakers

Er, no. The Fish Speakers were Leto II's female soldiers. The Honoured Matres were the order/cult/whatever of female adepts returning as conquerors form the Scattering in Heretics of Dune.

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

Er, no. The Fish Speakers were Leto II's female soldiers. The Honoured Matres were the order/cult/whatever of female adepts returning as conquerors form the Scattering in Heretics of Dune.

You're officially nominated to make the BRP Dune PDF!!

No, man... this is Arrakis. Desert Planet. Dune. I want rules for ekeing out the fluids in my stillsuit to cross the next bled, for hoarding water, shit, for stripping out the water from the two Harkonnens we just killed. It all goes into the tribe's water. I want rules for climbing mountains, and trying to confound the worms as we cross the dunes, and rules for drum sands. What do the dust storms do? Can they be survived?

IN essence, I want a totally perfect desert-survival RPG in my DUNE RPG... I hope that makes sense.

But then, I love, love, deserts...... and to be truthful, that all started with Dune.

So, you only have 10-15 Backgrounds, a few professions within each background, descriptions of the few worlds that figure in Dune, rules for the tech/weapons, rules for the special powers, rules for Spice, stats for the Sandworms and God-Emperor and that's about it.

Paul Elliott

Warlords of Alexander - Roleplaying in the ruins of Alexander's Empire

Zenobia - Fantasy RPG in the Eastern Roman Empire

Zaibatsu - Fast-play Japanese cyberpunk - Gibson-style

www.geocities.com/mithrapolis/games.html

Surely he means the Bene Gesserit?

THe 'honoured matres' don't appear in my Dune Encyclopedia ... :)

Paul Elliott

From memory, the Honoured Matres were the bad equivalent of the Bene Gesserit. They had similar abilities but used them to do bad things.

It's been a long time since I read Dune, though.

No, google confirms my failing memory Honored Matres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia gives an overview of them.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to chime in on a Dune BRP game. I'm a huge fan of the franchise as pertains to Frank's original works. I've developed and managed three different Dune rpgs over the years, ranging from large House vs House strategy style games to more traditional single character games. I definitely plan on developing one using the BRP system soon.

The era I am currently focused on is set during the 12 years of Muad'Dib's Jihad. I think this time has the most potential for gaming opportunities; the fall of the old Imperial order under the Corrinos, wide spread brutal religious conquest at the hands of the Fremen legions, the fall of ancient Great Houses and the unholy alliances of powerful factions like the Bene Gesserit, Spacing Guild and Tleilaxu. I'm looking at providing the option for players to either play as conspirators against the new Atreides Emperor, or to play as religious fanatics of the Fremen Jihad.

I think another solid idea for a Dune game is to have it be more of a "working class" kind of game where players play various low level agents (spies, assassins, saboteurs) in the employ of a Great House that is engaged in a war of assassins against another powerful NPC Great House. There is a lot of good background material to play off of using the Moritani-Ginaz feud as a setting.

Glad to see some fellow Dune fans here, btw. :thumb:

• 2 months later...

Me, I think I will get together a purely Arrakis game. Pre-Atreides, full of Harkonnens and Fremen, religion , mysticism and prophecy.

Dominated with action-packed adventures in the deserts. I love deserts, I can write up survival rules, and use my knowledge of different desert terrains to really make the setting come alive. Turn up the heating, serve dates and warm water... the players will think they are there :)

Paul Elliott