DUNE

PK Games

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read Hunters of Dune?

According to Dune Wiki in the Hunters of dune there is an Farzee rifle, that uses tiny molten projectiles for ammunitions.

Nanotechnology?

It's odd, and to me doesn't seem to fit nanotech, but that apparently is

how people describe it:

DARPA Starts Cooking up Science Fiction Weapons - MAHEM to shoot molten metal projectiles - Softpedia

Such weapons are already in development.

-V

• 1 month later...

Hello,

First post on the forum by an old-school COC and Runequest player...

I am a huge Dune fan and have actually ran two Dune campaigns: one was a home-made 'Hero System' conversion and the other was the 'Chronicles of the Imperium' system by Last Unicorn Games (LUG). There is a fairly good D20 conversion of the LUG game that is floating about the web (called "Dune: A Dream of Rain") -- if for nothing else I found it useful for the background summaries and related information.

You can view/download the game from various sites, a good one is Scribd:

Dune RPG d20

I once (10+years ago) ran up a set of RPG rules for Dune basically using Dune (especially the appendix)

I cannot find the files now (no doubt victim of one of periodic HDD purges) but can recall some bits

Very similar to Traveller (but the essentials could port across)

Add Characteristic (scale of 2 to 12) to Skill (scale 0 to nominally 12) roll under on d20

6 Characteristics

12 normal skills

Mentat

Prana

Bindu

Presience

and no doubt others

Were all skills

But they added to appropriate characeristic for all tests (i.e. Mentat wants to recall fact about Harkonnens he adds INT+Knowledge+Mentat and indeed whenever INT is to be tested)

Sardaukar Fighting Triangles

Voice

and others

Were skills which added to skill+characteristic pool when appropriate to the skill ( i.e. add Voice to CHA+Persuade but to CHA for all tasks)

If I were doing it now in BRP?

Standard BRP charcateristics (inc Edu)

My slimline skills list

Mentat, Voice, Prana, Bindu, etc as special skills probably with same EFFECT as LoN Ki Skills

BRP already has rules for most of the Tech, would just add Nuke explosion if Lasbeam intersects a Holzman field (as a GM I am more than happy to rule that any character holding one end of aa nuclear explosion is dead I don't feel the need to roll any dice for this)

Dragon stats for sandworms just for laziness

Al

Edited by Al.

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I like the SciFi series... the theatrical style production was refreshing.

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Marvel Super Special # 36, the official comics adaptation of David Lynch's film of Frank Herbert's Dune, by Ralph Macchio and Bill Sienkiewicz. Is available at: Grantbridge Street And Other Misadventures.;t)

Merry Christmas by the way,

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

• 4 weeks later...