Pirates & Dragons Reviews

doomedpc

Would love to see a review of this by a disinterested party, especially if it answers the question of whether this book would be useful for historical-setting pirate game without the fantasy/magic elements.

A review by someone who funded the game isn't one I can accept as unbiased.

Sure, as soon as I spot more reviews, I'll post them :)

It certainly wasn't designed as a historical setting, but very much a fantasy Caribbeanesque one (my future probably isn't in sales) - but people might have a view on whether it might be useful for a historical game too.

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

Would love to see a review of this by a disinterested party, especially if it answers the question of whether this book would be useful for historical-setting pirate game without the fantasy/magic elements.

From the thread on Freeport I'm pretty sure this is not the game for you. You already dismissed it in one of your replies, something along the lines of "not liking fantasy mixed in with your historical stuff". I think you've got High Seas for Flashing Blades and it is dead simple to convert that over to BRP. Pirates of Legend is the other "historical" pirate game for the BRP family.

A review by someone who funded the game isn't one I can accept as unbiased.

Can I ask why? I like C&W products. I liked the pitch they made for Pirates and Dragons. Based on their prior work I was pretty confident they'd deliver a good book. I backed them. If I hadn't stumbled across the Kickstarter I would have picked up the book for the same reasons. If I write a review why is my opinion less valid for having backed them?

From the thread on Freeport I'm pretty sure this is not the game for you. You already dismissed it in one of your replies, something along the lines of "not liking fantasy mixed in with your historical stuff". I think you've got High Seas for Flashing Blades and it is dead simple to convert that over to BRP. Pirates of Legend is the other "historical" pirate game for the BRP family.

Can I ask why? I like C&W products. I liked the pitch they made for Pirates and Dragons. Based on their prior work I was pretty confident they'd deliver a good book. I backed them. If I hadn't stumbled across the Kickstarter I would have picked up the book for the same reasons. If I write a review why is my opinion less valid for having backed them?

Good thing you're here to decide for me.

You just told me you're biased going in: "I like C&W products." Hardly an unbiased position from which to review a product. I'm glad you enjoy their material. I'd like a review from a neutral party. But I guess that's not necessary since you can just tell me what I will or won't like.

Good thing you're here to decide for me.

You just told me you're biased going in: "I like C&W products." Hardly an unbiased position from which to review a product. I'm glad you enjoy their material. I'd like a review from a neutral party. But I guess that's not necessary since you can just tell me what I will or won't like.

Matt, one week ago in the Freeport Thread you wrote: Thanks for the answer. Guess I'll pass on that and whatever Pirates & Dragons is. I don't go for " fantasy" much, but even less in historical settings like the age of sail, the Old West, 3 Musketeers, etc.

I certainly don't want to tell you what you will or will not like, but Pirates and Dragons is clearly fantasy in the age of sail. I was hoping to save you some time reading a review of something that didn't interest you a week ago. I'm sorry if I've come as dictating your desires. It was not my intention. I'll take steps to ensure it does not happen again.

I'm not certain how to respond to being biased because I like C&Ws prior products. A track record of quality products is something I do take into account when I purchase a game. If you need a review written by someone who doesn't like their prior products your going to need a first-time C&W purchaser to write it. They put out quality stuff:) I believe every review is going to have some bias in it and the reader has to weigh the review with those facts in mind.

Edited by filbanto
clarity, grammar, spelling

• 2 weeks later...