Magic World Character Generator on the way!

tooley1chris

When I re-open the sheet in the editor, and select a field that has a drop-down, on the toolbar at the top it has an item for "List", which generally shows something sensible (eg occupation for the field under "Pick Occupation". However, when I go into the List Manager tool, it shows no lists defined. When I go into the Document Setup tool, and the DataStores tab, it shows a bunch of DataStore Files of the form, "C:\Users\<username deleted>\Documents\Inspiration Pad Pro\CharacterSheet\<some_list>.txt" with, of course, somebody's username and the name of a list filled in. There are more things listed here than there are text files at the link above.

I added the text files I downloaded on the path I put them, but this had no effect. I don't know if there is something I need to do to tell NBOS to go re-look at those DataStore sources.

I tried manually re-adding the list by going into the List Manager, telling it to make a new list called occupation, then pasting in the text from the occupation.txt file, and relinking the occupation field to this new list. Unfortunately, it isn't seeing the comma as a field break, so my new test character is a Soceror, Bargain, Evaluate, etc, etc.

When I open the CSD file in WordPad, I can search for an element of the list (eg, Sorceror (hey, I like playing Casters)) and find it, along with it's list of skills (the file isn't exactly plain text, but close enough to follow) so they're in there, just not showing up in the interface.

I'm using version 2.01b, from the release track. You aren't using the beta or one of the special tracks, are you?

It gets weirder, because, why not? If I manually re-add a list, such as occupation, with just the key value, everything appears to work (skills on the skills page, starting bronze) except for field 8 showing you what stats and skills you should be adding - they just don't appear. That could be as simple as my having the text slightly wrong. Since I'm following along in the not-a-normal-text-file, there could be a special character I just can't see. So there appear to be both lists (a list of occupations, for example) and tables (keyed on occupation name, with the skills and starting bronze for that occupation) in the sheet.

On the front page, some dropdowns work (armor type) others don't (shield skills) with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Where do I find the list of lists that are supposed to be in the file, and how to I see/edit the tables?

I'm sorry if this isn't completely coherent. I've added to this post a few times over the last 3ish hours as I've tried to work through it. I'm making good progress, and have a lot of it working. I'm very interested in how I broke it, and would love to get it to 100%. It's also almost 3am and I'm not usually up this late, so I'm going to knock off before I screw something up.

Thank you for your time and attention. I really do appreciate the effort you put into these projects in general and specifically your help in getting this up and running.

Edited by mcarson

I'm honestly not sure how it broke either. As I said, my copy is working just fine. ;)

I'll try and find some time to dig into it. Maybe I can zip MY files and just post that to dropbox. See if it solves the mystery..sorry you went through so much hassle. This is the first time I've heard of a major malfunction

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

A zip of your file would be helpful - I did redownload the posted version to see if that was it.

Barring that, a list of the lists used and a pointer to how I can access and modify the tables would help me get the current copy I have fully functional.

I would have to be the special snowflake. :) At least I've had fun tracking down the issue as far as I have.

OK! I think I know what happened! (But not HOW it happened.) I think the software went looking for the DataStores (txt files) and didn't find them, and so deleted the automatically created lists associated. At any rate, the lists that exist are either ones I created, or related to text files I have. Unfortunately, not all of the text files listed in DataStores are at the link you gave me. Specifically, I'm missing:

species.txt
gender.txt
shield.txt
coins.txt
exchange.txt
miscellan.txt
magic.txt
helm.txt
experience.txt
equipment.txt

If you could please see your way clear to uploading those text files, I really believe it'll help a lot. I know you're tied up with Megadungeon, but would appreciate your assistance in this.

Edited by mcarson

Honestly, I totally forgot to check this out this weekend....Apologies.

I did however just ZIP the entire NBOS folder (which does contain a lot of test files and other trash, FYI) but also contains my working version of MW generator and all the .txt files I used in the creation. Hope it helps you!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59999343/My MW Char GEN.zip

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

Hey, that worked! The other sheets of yours that I tried had the same problem, but when I re-added all the DataStores from the texts directory in that zip file, everything started working (as far as my tests in 10 minutes show). Tomorrow I'll create a clean working copy from the original file and those texts, without my other monkeying around, and create a couple of characters.

Thank you so much for all your help!

• Like 1

Today I did a clean install of NBOS, installed a clean download of the sheet, and got the same symptoms. I then replaced all the Datastores with the text files you gave me, and all the dropdowns work. So, for anyone encountering this in the future, there's your workaround.

Then I noticed that the HP calculation is wrong, and the stat modifiers to skills are wrong (set to stat/5, should be stat/2), so I fixed those.

I also noticed that Perception stats get a different number added instead of the Con. The script that updates skills looks right, so I really have no idea where it's coming from. Also, if I manually change the character's Con (and kit Keep), the displayed Con mod updates properly, but the number added to skills changes when I hit Update. For example, if Con is 10, the displayed Con.mod is 5, but 10 is added to each Perception skill. Change Con to 17, and the mod is 9, but 16 gets added to each skill. Change Con back to 10, and the mod goes back to 5, but now 12 is added to each skill. Yeah, I got nothin'.

Also, weapon skills are supposed to get a bonus from Str or Dex depending on if they are melee or ranged. There is a STR/DEX field in the weapon table, that appears to be mostly filled with dates. Do you know why that is? If I fix that field, perhaps I can add the appropriate stat mod to the weapon skills. ((Edited: Those aren't dates, they're min STR and DEX to use the weapon. Dur.))

Edited by mcarson

Hmmmm....I think I may have discovered the issue for some of these problems. 

Awhile back I was tinkering with the NBOS Character sheet, trying to House Rule some stuff and stupid DropBox auto updated the file. I'll do a cleaned up NORMAL by the book version and ZIP it to dropbox so this doesn't happen again. 

OK. I figured out the errors and fixed HP and perception skills based on CON. Not even really sure how that got screwed up...Adding the proper Characteristic adjustments to individual weapons will be a pain in the butt so I'll probably just add a note to the sheet to add this to the base % manually. The script doesn't like "if then" statements so it's hard for me to script.

I'll do a clean install of Character Designer and make sure it works ok still then zip it all into one file and post. Should have it today.

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 1

OK. Here is the fixed (?) character sheet.

I'd suggest deleting the other .CSD character files in you MyDocuments before doing anything. THIS one takes precedents.

Didn't realize there was a Character Sheet 2 upgrade. Looks like it runs pretty fast.

unzip and place this folder in your My Documents folder

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59999343/NBOS Character Sheets.zip

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 1