How close can DBRP get to RQIII?

Shiba Homer

Using the optional rules, I would say virtually indistinguishable. The differing magic / powers system is the main difference. The skills are named slightly differently; the weapons are slightly different. But with the optional rules you basically have RQ3.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

But if you want RQIII can't you just order the BRP monographs that have been available from Chaosium for the last 5-6 years? They are basically the Avalon Hill version of RQ without the Glorantha in monograph form.

I think they're out of print, now.

I think they're not very nice product.

It would be cheaper to buy the AH editions or the GW editions on ebay. But I bet the poster has them..

I think the poster was excited that there would be a current and supported ruleset that he could run as close to RQ3 as he wanted..

Nice to hear this. I am still very fond of RQ3, so having a freshened version of it back would be great. And I am amazed that the sysem is lacking a Fantasy setting.

Now the "forbidden" question: Is there still any hope of having something BRP set in Glorantha Third Age?

I mean, I am currently playing three games, two MRQ ones (one Glorantha and one Stupor Mundi, with a second Glorantha about to begin) and a year-old campaign set in Dragon Pass Third Age that uses RQ3 with some RQ4 contamination. The latter one could be moved to BRP rather than MRQ, which lacks Third Age support (no Lunars!), but BRP has no Gloranthan content per se. Must we convert everything by hand or compatibility between BRP and the old Glorantha stuff (still available on eBay or in Moon Design reprints) will be encouraged?

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Mongoose have a licensing deal with Issaries Inc to publish Second Age material and to use the RuneQuest trademark. Moon Design have licensing deal with Issaries Inc to publish third age material and to use the HeroQuest trademark and copyright material.

It's entirely possible to imagine some sort of deal that would allow explicitly BRP material for second or third age Glorantha to be published that Chaosium, Issaries, Mongoose and Moon Design would all be willing to sign up to: just as it's possible to imagine flying pigs, cold days in hell and honest politicians... but I wouldn't hold your breath...

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

It's entirely possible to imagine some sort of deal that would allow explicitly BRP material for second or third age Glorantha to be published that Chaosium, Issaries, Mongoose and Moon Design would all be willing to sign up to: just as it's possible to imagine flying pigs, cold days in hell and honest politicians... but I wouldn't hold your breath...

Hi Nick,

Just noticed a bristling saddleback soaring past my window, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to chip in... :D

Theoretically, then, it could be possible for Moon Design to produce something like a "Magic of Glorantha" supplement which would be "Compatible with Basic Roleplaying", or some such... Or, subject to the Issaries Fan Policy, one could publish a set of 3rd Age Gloranthan scenarios compatible with BRP? Presumably that would require the Chaosium sign-off, but (again, theoretically) everything else would be in place to do that - does that sound right?

Just wondering. Given that BRP can basically emulate RQ3 sans-magic enough to make existing RQ scenarios playable with little or no modification, it's really only the magic systems (and possibly bestiary - though the MRQ bestiary SRD is out there somewhere) which are lacking...

Just brainstorming...

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I should once again reiterate that Dustin over at Chaosium would leap for joy should someone send in a proposal for a BRP fantasy setting.

How does our SharedWorld stuff differ from such a proposal?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

How does our SharedWorld stuff differ from such a proposal?

I'm not entirely sure what your SharedWorld stuff is (is it something on this site - or are you talking about Gwenthia?), but the sort of proposal I meant would:

• be submitted to Chaosium to be considered as a potential Chaosium product (a book or monograph)
  • be clearly outlined and described (like "Chapter Three is the gazetteer, and Chapter Four is all about gods and religions")
  • have an estimated word count and deadline (traditionally, both of these are radically exceeded)

I am bummed that Gwenthia didn't make it as a BRP supplement, considering the talent involved and the caliber of what I saw.

Yes, the SharedWorld stuff is on this site: Shared World(s) - BRP Central. No, it's not Gwenthia.

But it falls at the first hurdle, because making it a Chaosium product is out (due to the CC license), I guess.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I think they're not very nice product.

It would be cheaper to buy the AH editions or the GW editions on ebay. But I bet the poster has them...

I might do. [twiddles fingers in a shy sorta way] :innocent:

I think the poster was excited that there would be a current and supported ruleset that he could run as close to RQ3 as he wanted...

I want to look at variants and some slight simplifications for RQIII-ish and tweak my up comming CoC campaign and maybe some supers. Oh, and all of what Tzunder said. :D

Just buy Rq3 on ebay.. the Games Workshop editions are fine and cheap.

Then when you have BRP you will have the magic stuff from RQ3 as an option.

In other words, use RQ3 as a sourcebook for DBRP!

Games Workeshops edtions! Yuk! Cut to shreds.

Get the Perfect-Bound AH Edition.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Games Workeshops edtions! Yuk! Cut to shreds.

Get the Perfect-Bound AH Edition.

Hey, they're hardback - last forever. My AH book is in danger of cracking open and loosing pages, and I've never even used it for gaming ...

Paul Elliott

Warlords of Alexander - Roleplaying in the ruins of Alexander's Empire

Zenobia - Fantasy RPG in the Eastern Roman Empire

Zaibatsu - Fast-play Japanese cyberpunk - Gibson-style

www.geocities.com/mithrapolis/games.html

Hey, they're hardback - last forever.

Apart from their propensity to drop pages from the centre at the slightest provocation...

The GW hardbacks of the mid-eighties are notoriously variable in quality. If you got a good one, it will probably stil be going strong. But some of them disintegrated phenomenally quickly.

My AH book is in danger of cracking open and loosing pages, and I've never even used it for gaming ...

My AH Softback is still doing fine, albeit it's not be subjected to particularly hard use. But I generally use photocopies of the Players and Magic books I did a few years back from a scruffy copy of the AH deluxe boxed set I picked up cheap off eBay.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Just wondering. Given that BRP can basically emulate RQ3 sans-magic enough to make existing RQ scenarios playable with little or no modification, it's really only the magic systems (and possibly bestiary - though the MRQ bestiary SRD is out there somewhere) which are lacking...

Chaosium of course has the text to the RQIII magic chapter and owns the rights so they could easily publish (as a PDF perhaps) a "Magic System Compendium" with additional alternative magic systems if they wished and it might be a good idea. Couldn't cost that much to produce and while it might not generate that much revenues it gives the customers/users more options and added benefits.

Peter Brink

Chaosium of course has the text to the RQIII magic chapter and owns the rights so they could easily publish (as a PDF perhaps) a "Magic System Compendium" with additional alternative magic systems if they wished and it might be a good idea. Couldn't cost that much to produce and while it might not generate that much revenues it gives the customers/users more options and added benefits.

The idea has been mooted sufficiently often by various play testers and Jason himself that I think it's pretty much inevitable that SOMEONE will pitch a "BRP Magic" book to Chaosium and I'd be stunned if they didn't pick it up - but I doubt very much it would be a PDF. Monograph or proper book would be my guess.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

If you wanted to go that way, the RQM SRD contains Rune/Divine/Sorcery which is pretty much RQ3 with a few changes. Using an OGL Licence, you could easily change it back and retrofit it to an improved RQ3 Magic Book.

Of course, that makes it RQ with OGL rather than BRP but that's just a technicality, surely.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Apart from their propensity to drop pages from the centre at the slightest provocation...

The GW hardbacks of the mid-eighties are notoriously variable in quality. If you got a good one, it will probably stil be going strong. But some of them disintegrated phenomenally quickly.

Nick Middleton

Yeah, I'll second that. A couple of us bought the GW version of Strombringer because it was hardcover (among other reasons), and every one of our copies literally fell apart once we open the book. You could actually hear it when you cracked the spine, and then a page would fall out. Each time you opening the book, out dropped another page or three. I7ve not seen another book that fast.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

If you wanted to go that way, the RQM SRD contains Rune/Divine/Sorcery which is pretty much RQ3 with a few changes. Using an OGL Licence, you could easily change it back and retrofit it to an improved RQ3 Magic Book.

MRQ magic is based on the Combat Action mechanics, and on Resist (skill). Sorcery, which used to rely heavily on the Resistance Table in RQ3, is very different. Retrofitting could turn out to be more work than paraphrasing the old rules.

Apart from the fact that Sorcery is the part of MRQ that was really improved, so I would keep it "as is", if it was not for the incompatibilities.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM