skill starting values

Sam E.

I prefer using Characteristics (Legend/RQ6). It is easier to use and is very generic. You don;t need to have lots of different categories and starting skills, either.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I like a combination of the two, based on the type of skill. Knowledge skills should start at fixed values based upon setting; physical skills being based upon characteristics or a combination of fixed value + characteristic. 

Fixed values plus a "Skill Category Modifier", as in RQ 3 or MW is still my favorite. Takes a bit longer to calculate and maintain, but provides a "more realistic" feel, at least to me. It also allows you to vary skills a bit more based on setting as all you have to adjust is the fixed value. 

SDLeary

I prefer the Legend/RQ6 method of using characteristics for the starting values.  The smaller pool of starting skills is one of the other reasons I go with those systems over BRP.  The character creation in Legend/RQ6 feels less cluttered and more polished to me.

If you'd asked me this question two years ago, I would have vehemently answered 'starting values based on characteristics'. And, probably thrown in a few derogatory comments about the Resistance Table.

Now, my preference lies a lot more with flat values, and the Resistance Table. Simpler; fewer recalculations; less overhead during gameplay.

Generally, I find Skill Category Modifiers to be too fiddly to deal with. 

Thanks for the replies.  I like the idea of using characteristics, but like K Peterson, I worry it makes character generation a little too fiddly, especially if I'm going to introduce new folks to BRP.  But if I don't use characteristics, then they feel less meaningful ...

Hmm, food for thought, anyway.  Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies.  I like the idea of using characteristics, but like K Peterson, I worry it makes character generation a little too fiddly, especially if I'm going to introduce new folks to BRP.  But if I don't use characteristics, then they feel less meaningful ...

To be honest, the way that BRP/RQ2/RQ3 uses characteristics to add to skills is harder to remember than the way that Legend/RQ6 does it. I am definitely a convert to having 2 characteristics as the base of a skill.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

To be honest, the way that BRP/RQ2/RQ3 uses characteristics to add to skills is harder to remember than the way that Legend/RQ6 does it. I am definitely a convert to having 2 characteristics as the base of a skill.

I am doing this also with some additional tweaks (like subtracting half of SIZ from certain physical skills where it would be an impediment, Climbing for example)

If I was designing a new BRP system from the ground up then I'ld definitely go with how they do Skills in OQ/LEGEND/ RQ6. Its simple and it makes the character's core characteristics more meaningful.

However I still like the Resistance Table, so I would ditch skills like Persistence, Resilience, etc and use the Resistance Table to deal with 'saving throws', so to speak.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I don't mind the RQ6/OQ/Legend way of doing skills for a Conan style game, but fore something a little more down to earth I find starting values to be a bit too high. I am considering reducing the secondary stat to +1/2 Stat, and adding a -1/2 SIZ to some skills; as mentioned above, Climb is a good example.

SDLeary

Never been sold on the MRQ method and whilst i'm VERY fond of the old RQIII / SB1 skill categories there are a bit fiddly. I'm increasingly a fan of the Magic World "simplified" category bonus (flat half governing stat as bonus, so Manipulation is 1/2 DEX, Communication is 1/2 APP etc).

Cheers,

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, food for thought, anyway.  Thanks again.

I too was worried about the "fiddlyness" of using characteristics - which is why I created a BRP character sheet on MS Excel that calculates the starting percentiles for me. There are definitely ways to make the game work for you, and I love the organic feel and sense of "wholeness" that using characteristics for skills brings to the table. Hope you're able to find what works for you.

I too was worried about the "fiddlyness" of using characteristics - which is why I created a BRP character sheet on MS Excel that calculates the starting percentiles for me. There are definitely ways to make the game work for you, and I love the organic feel and sense of "wholeness" that using characteristics for skills brings to the table. Hope you're able to find what works for you.

Ha, yeah, I came to that conclusion too - I'm making a form-fillable PDF that auto-calculates that stuff.