Sign in to follow this  
jux

Any steampunk in Renaissance?

So, after I am very satisfied with OQ rulesystem, I am planning to jump into the Renaissance bandwagon. I see the company has already a great catalog of products that capture my intrest, especially the historic London setting.

But one thing I want to know is if Renaissance can do steampunk? I think it appears that Renaissance covers the gun-powder age of sail period and steampunk should come some time later, but still an eary steampunk stuff could work or does Renaissance also include some gaslight era? I guess there is no material about steampunk in Renaissance core book?

I notice they have full time-travelling-steampunk-goodness "Airships Pirates", but that is not in OQ/Renaissance right? I wish it were ...

Off the top of my head, Renaissance Deluxe is "strictly" - it still covers quite a long historical period - black powder era/age of sail including period-appropriate magic, so no gaslight. The Clockwork & Chivalry line might be labeled clockpunk, for lack of a better term, and features clockwork contraptions but no steam technology AFAIK. Dark Streets is 18th century London + Cthulhu Mythos so no gaslight stuff there either. I'm personally perfectly fine with this, as I'm not particularly fond of steampunk, though I can appreciate the more subtle Victorian sci-fi of games like Space: 1889 or Terra Incognita, which some may refer to as steampunk as well. That said, a Renaissance version of Airship Pirates would probably make d100/BRP-minded steampunk afficionados very happy.