BRP System Comparisons?

Darkholme

The edge system I made for Legend has rules for Barbarian Rage, and Sneak Attacks.  There are a bunch of other converted feats too, along with common magic spells, and heroic abilities.  Edges are basically minor powers that are skill based.  They are roughly equivalent to a common magic spell with a magnitude of one or two, and can be upgraded to a more powerful version.  Here is the Rage and Sneak Attack Edges.

Rage

A Combat Style incorporating a Melee Weapon or Unarmed 50%

Self

In combat the character is able to throw himself into a mindless rage, smiting his foes with increased ferocity. While under the effects of this edge the character's Damage Bonus is increased by one step (so a 1D2 becomes a 1D4). Additionally as the character is focused solely on the offense he may not Evade or Parry while raging.

This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in their relevant skill. While under the effects of this edge the character's Damage Bonus is increased by two steps (so a 1D2 becomes a 1D6). Additionally as the character is focused solely on the offense he may not Evade or Parry while raging. This upgrade costs five advancement points.

Backstabber

Stealth 50%

Self, Instant

The character is a master of underhanded and sneaky tactics. When attacking with surprise the character increases the damage die of the weapon by one increment. So a dagger from behind will deal 1D6+1 damage rather than 1D4+1 damage.

This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% in their Stealth Skill. When attacking with surprise the character increases the damage die of the weapon by two increments. So a dagger from behind will deal 1D8+1 damage rather than 1D4+1 damage. This upgrade costs five advancement points.

Something some other RPGs have that's nice, is little special abilities you can pick up outside of spellcasting that allow you to do new things: Barbarian Rage, Sneak Attack, Telekinesis, Flight, etc. Does anything exist like that for BRP? And if so, where can I find those sorts of things? I know legend has some kind of legendary abilities, but I don't recall what they are/do. is there anything else?

• Like 1

In addition to the options presented by Pshychman and CthuluFnord, you might want to take a look at another. 

Blood Tide introduces Stunts to BRP, and seem to fit better into the BRP realm, and should be easy to adapt to RQ6 if you wish to use that. There is also a system in Gaslight that is somewhat extensive, but its been a while since I looked at it. 

SDLeary

In addition to the options presented by Pshychman and CthuluFnord, you might want to take a look at another. 

Blood Tide introduces Stunts to BRP, and seem to fit better into the BRP realm, and should be easy to adapt to RQ6 if you wish to use that. There is also a system in Gaslight that is somewhat extensive, but its been a while since I looked at it. 

SDLeary

Does Gaslight use a % skill system like BRP?  I can't find much on the mechanics aside from the earlier edition being a D20 product.

Does Gaslight use a % skill system like BRP?  I can't find much on the mechanics aside from the earlier edition being a D20 product.

Sorry, BRP forum so I assume people know. :)

The supplement is Cthulhu by Gaslight, their expansion into the world of the late 19thC. There is a feat-ish system presented there that allows you to end up with characters in the LXG tradition.

SDLeary

Sorry, BRP forum so I assume people know. :)

The supplement is Cthulhu by Gaslight, their expansion into the world of the late 19thC. There is a feat-ish system presented there that allows you to end up with characters in the LXG tradition.

SDLeary

I'll have to check that out!  It has been a while since I picked up a Call of Cthulhu book, that slipped under my radar.

Hmm. Good to know. I have some things to check out. :)

Cthulhu by Gaslight sounds like a book I might just be interested in anyways. Chulhu isn't really my thing, but I do like 1800s supplements. I imagine it would be easy enough to use with RQ/Legend/MW; and my girlfriend has a copy of Call of Cthulhu 5.6;

and I was already considering picking up Blood Tide (If nothing else, it would be useful for that Pirates of Darkwater game I've always wanted to run) - but that was mostly be being a sucker for Pirate supplements, and being rather disappointed with some of the things in my copy of RuneQuest Pirates.

I got the recent PDF of Cthulhu by Gaslight, it has a "trait" system.  You roll for them randomly, some of them are okay powers, you can pick up a spell or two or a psychic power if you are lucky.  Of course you could just as easily get nearsighted or crippled.   

Yes, considering the number of Traits there, you could easily pair that down. If you use Hero/Luck Points, perhaps the player may spend one of their starting points for a Trait at character creation.

And yes. There are negative ones. This is understandable as this is Cthulhu. 

Hmmm... perhaps no hero point cost, allow each player to choose one positive and one negative trait at generation. 

SDLeary

That's not quite the same as feats or the like which you can gain more of as you gain experience, but Traits are also sometimes helpful.

Not quite, but it does fit into the system better; it's designed to create pulpy characters rather than Sword and Sorcery types. But looking at things, it seems eminently tweak able. In fact, I think you could engineer easily one that gave you a greater experience boost for a particular skill, ability, power type, etc. 

SDLeary

The edge system I made for Legend has rules for Barbarian Rage, and Sneak Attacks.  There are a bunch of other converted feats too, along with common magic spells, and heroic abilities.  Edges are basically minor powers that are skill based.  They are roughly equivalent to a common magic spell with a magnitude of one or two, and can be upgraded to a more powerful version.  Here is the Rage and Sneak Attack Edges.

Rage

A Combat Style incorporating a Melee Weapon or Unarmed 50%

Self

In combat the character is able to throw himself into a mindless rage, smiting his foes with increased ferocity. While under the effects of this edge the character's Damage Bonus is increased by one step (so a 1D2 becomes a 1D4). Additionally as the character is focused solely on the offense he may not Evade or Parry while raging.

This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% or more in their relevant skill. While under the effects of this edge the character's Damage Bonus is increased by two steps (so a 1D2 becomes a 1D6). Additionally as the character is focused solely on the offense he may not Evade or Parry while raging. This upgrade costs five advancement points.

Backstabber

Stealth 50%

Self, Instant

The character is a master of underhanded and sneaky tactics. When attacking with surprise the character increases the damage die of the weapon by one increment. So a dagger from behind will deal 1D6+1 damage rather than 1D4+1 damage.

This edge may be taken a second time when the character reaches 100% in their Stealth Skill. When attacking with surprise the character increases the damage die of the weapon by two increments. So a dagger from behind will deal 1D8+1 damage rather than 1D4+1 damage. This upgrade costs five advancement points.

I like your take on those Feats! Very good way to add damage, without seeming to be overpowering.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I like your take on those Feats! Very good way to add damage, without seeming to be overpowering.

Thanks!  I tried not to make them too powerful.  They are all supposed to be the equivalent of a magnitude one or two Common Magic spell.  When you take the edge the second time it pushes it up to a magnitude three spell roughly.  They are meant to be minor abilities, kind of a cross between Heroic abilities and Common Magic/ Folk Magic.  I also made them so they'd be available at character creation.