What other games do you play and or run?

p_clapham

So aside from Basic Roleplaying and it's derived systems what other games out there do you really like playing or running?

I have a deep love of pulp literature, so Hollow Earth Expedition ranks among my favorite games of all time.  It is so easy to run and play, and so fun.  I've had some ridiculous games from escaping a mummy's tomb, R.E.Howard Sword and Sorcery, to playing velociraptors that had been uplifted with Nazi science.  One of the things I've found with HEX is it combines some of the best qualities of the storyteller and D20 systems.  The task resolution and skill system is pure storyteller, but the movement rules strongly remind me of D&D.  All it is missing is the attacks of opportunity.

There has been some discussion about Exile Studios putting together a generic version of their rules system.  I'm hoping they come out with a sourcebook on superpowers.  I'd really like another system where I can run low to mid level superhero games.  Before I settled on Mutants and Masterminds for my 1920's Justice League game, I was strongly considering going through M&M's powers and converting them to HEX. 

Other than the BRP-derived games I play (which are Chaosium RQ 2nd, old Stormbringer, old CoC, Celestial Empire, along with Age of Shadow and Classic Fantasy which I own but have yet to use)?

I play 1st ed AD&D, Classic Traveller, old Gamma World and Metamorphosis Alpha, FASA Star Trek, WEG Star Wars, and Fading Suns 2nd ed.

I also have Justice Inc and Crimson Skies, 1st ed Warhammer Fantasy and FFG Rogue Trader, all hoping to get into someday.

Plus quite a few games I own but never play, like Shadowrun, Dune, T&T, Jags Wonderland.

Honestly I can't really be bothered learning new systems, they usually seem overly-complicated to me and not worth my time. Nowadays I usually hack the systems into something familiar. For example, I'm running a game set in Tekumel, Empire of the Petal Throne, which I've hacked into 1st ed AD&D. It started out as an OD&D variant, and it wasn't hard to carry its evolution along to 1st ed AD&D.

Man, I've played/run everything from the 70s on. Car Wars, Gamma World, Fasa trek Rolemaster, CODA, Masquerade, dang near every version of D&D. Bouncing to one system because I liked something, leaving a system because I didn't like something. I found BRP and Magic World awhile back and am quite content. Probably won't change again. Love it.

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Unfortunately, I've never yet gotten to play BRP, RuneQuest or Call of Cthulhu.  Still looking for a local group.

During high school and college my gaming consisted of Hero System (Champions and Justice, Inc.), Classic Traveller, and TOON.  As a parent, I've sought to find a game that will attract my kids.  I've had modest success with Mazes and Minotaurs and Mini Six, both relatively rules light and quick to prep and run systems.  For some reason, my family didn't tumble for easier systems such as Legends of the Ancient World (a Fantasy Trip retroclone), Teenagers From Outer Space, TOON, or Usagi Yojimbo (Instant Fuzion version).

I play Pathfinder and recently began playing Marvel Super Heroes Classic version. I want to start running DC Adventures and am currently running a wild weird west campaign, using BRP/Aces High and will be starting a Magic World/Rune Quest/BRP fantasy game this weekend.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I'm currently playing in a Mage: The Awakening game which is going quite well. The amount of games I'd like to play or run is fairly extensive. My usual group has poked at various permutations of the FATE system including The Dresden Files and Bulldogs!, which I will use as a template for a Firefly/Serenity game... eventually. I've also got malformed ideas for an Infinite Power game and a Witchcraft game, but Nyarlathotep knows when I'll get the time to run those.  I'd love to run a session or two of Paranoia again just for the sheer daffiness of the setting -- and as a palate cleanser for my (rather literally) fatalist CoC game.

Things I Will Do When I Win the Lottery #812 - 817....

Mostly BRP and openquest home brews now. However still occasionally dabble with AD & D, Traveller, Megatraveller, Traveller TnE, car wars and for miniature gaming XWing. Saying all that may well try and do a Traveller port for BRP as my current gaming group love the simplicity and yet also crunch ability of BRP.

We ran a short Pathfinder campaign this Summer.

Now we have returned to our now long running Star Wars Edge of the Empire campaign we started last year. It started just a single game to try out the new rule set but had such a big attendance and everyone wanted to continue to play the game so it quickly developed into a long running campaign where we normally play every Wednesday evening. We are just about to make the transition over to the new Age of Rebellion book.

Mostly BRP and openquest home brews now. However still occasionally dabble with AD & D, Traveller, Megatraveller, Traveller TnE, car wars and for miniature gaming XWing. Saying all that may well try and do a Traveller port for BRP as my current gaming group love the simplicity and yet also crunch ability of BRP.

I remember car wars. Good times. I had a yellow Volkswagen beetle with flamethowers.

I remember car wars. Good times. I had a yellow Volkswagen beetle with flamethowers.

We used to play Car Wars all the time. I miss playing it! I'm planning on creating an arena for a local convention, using the Matchbox/HotWheels size scale.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I run a lot of stuff. This year I've run The Laundry, World War Cthulhu and am about to start a One Ring game all about 12 weeks each. I also run a monthly  FTF game of One Ring and an on-line One Ring game every two weeks. I ran con games of World War Cthulhu, a Legend/RQ6 mashup and the Laundry at UK Games Expo.

I'm running RQ6 games at Indiecon in November and Dragonmeet and another One Ring game at Dragonmeet.

I've played in a recent session of Song of Ice and Fire and playtests sessions of Feng Shui 2 and a scenario for Jadepunk that's being run at Furnace. I've forgotten what games I played at Conception but it did include a playtest of one of the scenarios for CoC 7e and I ran a One Ring session. I'm also in an on-line playtest for a Trail of Cthulhu campaign that'l take about 12 months to play through.

Nigel

Ah Car Wars, my lost love of the late eighties.  I have nearly all of the add ons and ADQs as during my wargaming blight years I bought stuff cheap and even on ebay in the early years.  I have run campaigns based on arena combat as well as adventures in a more role playing seting.  Used to end up with car wars scale battles going on with 15mm scale skirmish along side.  Happy days.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently played (and enjoyed)

Barbarians of Lemuria (terrifically simple, wonderfully Conanesque)

The One Ring (very good)

Agon (also very good)

D&D5 (Enjoyable: a nice balance between Basic/Expert and 3e)

Trail of Cthulhu (Wasn't convinced that the Gumshoe system was much more than a very simple dice pool mechanic - and certainly no better than CoC when it came to developing and running investigations).

I love trying new systems. Of the recent games I've played, Barbarians of Lemuria is the one I'll play again in a heartbeat. Thoroughly enjoy playing it.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

I've been a player for the following: 

• BRP - RuneQuest, Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu
  • ICE - MERP, Rolemaster, Cyberspace, HARP,
  • D&D - TSR D&D, D&D 3E,
  • WW Storyteller - Old WoD:  Vampire, Werewolf, MAGE, Changling,
  • Battletech/Mechwarrior,
  • Shadowrun.

Currently playing:

• Shadowrun (albeit in hiatus). Very cool
  • WW Storyteller - Dark Ages: Changling. We are having alot of fun with this.

At the moment I GM the following:

• BRP/RQ Glorantha  - This campaign is currently in hiatus (which will reap the rewards from the Guide To Glorantha when I return to it). Liberal mix of mechanics from BRP BGB, RQ3, and RQ6. Plays quite well, a great default fantasy setting I really want to get back into soon
  • BRP Astounding Adventures - Mixing in some Stunts from Blood Tide, and this is a great 1920s/1930s Pulp Era setting which I am using Masks of Nylarthotep as the plot grounding. It's playing more like a Thrilling Tales rollicking adventure rather than a horror investigation, great stuff!

I have a large collection of rpgs I haven't had the time to indulge as yet, including the following titles or systems:

Swords & Wizardry (old D&D retroclone); Pathfinder; Warhammer; Traveller; Firefly; Harn; Ars Magica; Pendragon; True20; HARP; GURPS; HeroQuest; Conan D20; Mutants & Masterminds D20; Savage Worlds; Qin: The Warring States; Star Wars D20; Eclipse Phase; Wild Talents; The updated 20th anniversary editions of Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage; The One Ring; Cypher system; 13th Age; FATE; Ubquity; HeroQuest. 

All the other titles I have are part of the extensive BRP family of games, and my bookshelves are groaning under the weight of BRP, RQ3, CoC, LEGEND, RQ6, etc :-)

These days I tend to get influences from other systems and add those elements to my BRP/CoC/RQ6 mechanics. Its much more intuitive for me to run, and my players find it easier to adjust to new settings if the mechanics are familiar. The upcoming River of Heaven will add a swag of sci-fi and cyberpunk rules to my BRP mechanics so that will allow me to move BRP into wider frontiers as well.

If I had the time to choose to GM multiple systems in addition to BRP/RQ, then I would likely consider the following:

• WW Storyteller -  again out of familiarity for both the settings and mechanics,
  • FATE system - FATE Core, Spirit Of The Century, The Day After Raganok, The Kerebos Club
  • Ubiquity games - Hollow Earth Expedition, League of Adventurers, All For One,
  • I am quite like FATE and Ubiquity systems for their cool mechanics and adventurous settings, they feel like very 'fresh' systems to me and would be alot of fun to run.
  • Cypher system - Both Numenera and The Strange looks quite fascinating settings, and the mechanics seem to suit as well; these games could also tempt me on a sojourn away from BRP for a while...

But really, any rpg is a good use of my time, I think I will be trying to run rpgs from a retirement village one day. Just totally love this hobby!

• Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

RuneQuest (3ish) as a GM

HeroQuest 1 as a GM and player

That's it, really, except for conventions where I play other systems to try them out.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I've actually barely played, and never run, a BRP game.  For whatever reason, we didn't have access to Chaosium products in the one-horse town in which I grew up back in the day - it was pretty much just all TSR stuff (lots of AD&D, Marvel, and a little Top Secret), and a little ICE product (MERP).  I didn't play anything BRP until years later in college, and have only recently been buying and reading BRP stuff in general.  My plan is to run a post-apocalypse campaign at some point, once my current group is done with our current campaign, and I'd also like to run some modern horror one-shots here and there.

As far as other things, these days:

I used to run Savage Worlds, but I've lost my taste for it for various reasons.  I am currently playing in a Savage Worlds high fantasy campaign, under the rubric of "I'll play anything rather than nothing ... "  Luckily, as a player, I'm not too picky about the rules, as long as the GM is running some fun adventures, which he is so far, so I don't complain about the system too much ...  :)

I've run Hollow Earth Expedition a handful of times, and love it.  I agree with an earlier poster that I'd love to see a generic Ubiquity book, though the HEX books do well enough for anything remotely modern, or anything with low-powered magic / psionics / etc.  I'd definitely like to run more of this, and I'm looking forward to Revelations of Mars coming out for some pulpy swords-and-planet action.

I'm running a campaign for an old childhood D&D buddy via email.  I used to say we were playing C&C, but I now realize that we're playing AD&D with some C&C tacked on ...   At the moment, I'm running him through a heavily modified version of module B4: The Lost City.

I've also been reading the Leverage RPG quite a bit, and trying to figure out whether I want to run it.  I love the show, and I'm excited about the idea of RPGing it, but I'm not sure it would go over well with my current players.  I'm also still not entirely sure what to think of the system.  I'm not sure I'm sold on the whole "narrative rules" thing - but that's a debate I won't start here ...  Having said that, the Leverage rules actually look fairly traditional underneath the supposed narrative surface.

That's about it for now.

I'm also in an on-line playtest for a Trail of Cthulhu campaign that'l take about 12 months to play through.

Interesting! Right now I'm playing in an excellent Trail of Cthulhu campaign, Eternal Lies, that has official conversions of NPCs etc. for CoC.

Is the campaign you're playing going to be of a breadth comparable to that of EL, Masks of Nyarlathotep or Beyond the Mountains of Madness? Do you know if it will be dual statted for CoC? Any idea when it's due out?

Barbarians of Lemuria (terrifically simple, wonderfully Conanesque) [...] is the one I'll play again in a heartbeat. Thoroughly enjoy playing it.

If you'll ever try it, let me know what you think of Honor+Intrigue, that is a BoL hack with rules for swashbuckling.

Interesting! Right now I'm playing in an excellent Trail of Cthulhu campaign, Eternal Lies, that has official conversions of NPCs etc. for CoC.

Is the campaign you're playing going to be of a breadth comparable to that of EL, Masks of Nyarlathotep or Beyond the Mountains of Madness? Do you know if it will be dual statted for CoC? Any idea when it's due out?

It's being done by some of the folks involved in 7e so I guess it might have CoC stats but then at least one of the writers is a big WoD author so I suppose it could go in lot's of ways.

If the initial playtest (and it's being written and rewritten as we go along) is supposed to last about a year I would think it's two years away at least.

Nigel

T&T is really quick and dirty.

It's a simple set of rules, monsters can have 1 stat which determines hp and attack dice. I would say it is vaguely reminiscent of D&D, but really vaguely :)

I believe there was a kickstarter for an updated, expanded set of rules sort of recently...

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

During winter break I'm going to try running Fate for the first time.  It will be a Transformers one shot.  I've done a little work on this so far, and see that other people have used Fate for Transformers.  I'm curious how well it will go, and if I am better served with a more crunchy system.

I have the original FUDGE rules in PDF.  It can be as light or as crunchy as you make it.  Almost too much freedom, a "roll-your-own system" system.  Toolkit games such as Hero System and BRP let you create any campaign but provide some structure.  With FUDGE, you have to decide for yourself on everything.

Sigh.  I've got enough role-playing material to game for decades but no one to play with.   X(