Anyone played CoC with Renaissance?

jux

We all love our CoC. CoC 6th ed works, but it has some unnecessary complications here and there, so I welcome the update for this game. But I am afraid, CoC7 is not for me - at least it is not fully ready yet to give my final judgment.

I really like the simplified d100 version that OpenQuest system brings to the table. Reduced skill list, not too abstract, but still easy combat and health system, etc. It is what I find perfect to be used for CoC game. Renaissance however has made a step further and included sanity mechanics and friearms - it should work out of the box, right?

So my question is, have anyone played a CoC scenario with Renaissance game? Did you do any modifications?

I would like to use Renaissance in the classic and modern era, I wonder what changes should I make? I would imagine adding few skills/professions, weapons and it would be good to go.

This is a neat idea, I'd pick up the Clockwork & Cthulhu book to get some ideas of how to balance things out since Sanity works differently between the two systems. But there are enough resources out there to easily covert the CoC material to Renaissance.

• Like 1

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

IIRC Clockwork & Cthulhu is a supplement for Clockwork & ChivalryDark Streets is a nearly* standalone game that pits the Bow Street Runners against the Cthulhu Mythos.  18th Century + Cthulhu might make for a cleaner port than 17th Century + Clockwork + Cthulhu.

* DS requires Renaissance Deluxe, which is pretty cheap.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Renaissance not deluxe is free of course: 

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/97426/Renaissance--D100-black-powder-SRD?term=Renaissance

:)

Clockwork & Cthulhu and Dark Streets are really well done Cthulhu supplements, including some very atmospheric illustrations in their respective bestiaries. 

There is also the, as of yet, unreleased but successfully Kickstarted Raiders of R’lyeh RPG. This is set in the 1910s, as a standalone game that also is based upon the OpenQuest system. 

IIRC Clockwork & Cthulhu is a supplement for Clockwork & Chivalry. Dark Streets is a nearly* standalone game that pits the Bow Street Runners against the Cthulhu Mythos. 18th Century + Cthulhu might make for a cleaner port than 17th Century + Clockwork + Cthulhu.

* DS requires Renaissance Deluxe, which is pretty cheap.

Yes it is technically a supplement for clockwork and chivalry but it's intercangeable with renaissance.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

Yes, what is neat in Renaissance is that it has great streamlined character creation. Firstly you specify social status (smt like poor, middle class, rich, noble). This will give you some skill bonuses and after that you pick profession, which gives bonuses + advanced skills.

I really like the social status, which is applicable to modern world as well (although majority is in middle class nowadays), but it is interesting to differentiate a scientist from poor or rich family background.

The pulp era professions download supplement is basically what core Renaissance includes. What I would add is creating "custom professions" and just add the same amount of skill points to relevant existing skills + some additional specific skills that only this profession provides (basically knowledge skills of different subjects - computers, electronics, chemistry, psychology, history, etc).

I also like the Renaissance sanity system. It is more gritty than CoC and very suitable particularly for small adventures. With CoC it would seem that players face the threat of insanity only with longer campaigns. Here I like how I can dune it for more critty experience.

I would however like to rename "regional lore/culture" skills - common knowledge/education for example.

Yeah, I have "Dark Streets" for specifically 18-th Century Mythos games, but currently am looking for better system for classic/modern CoC.

Raiders of R'lyeh RPG I am particularly interested - I was not aware it is based on OQ system. Will see if it is actually what I am looking for :)

• Like 1