Chaos & Catacombs

threedeesix

Simple oversight.

I thought they were in there.

You thought? Didn't you write the thing?:P

Ahem:)

But you can still redeem yourself; what were the official riposte-rules that were supposed to be in the book?

Then we can put it into the wiki. Which, by the way,is woefully slim. With all the creativity on these forums, it should be crammed?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you can still redeem yourself; what were the official riposte-rules that were supposed to be in the book?

Then we can put it into the wiki. Which, by the way,is woefully slim. With all the creativity on these forums, it should be crammed?

Here is the rule as written in Classic Fantasy if anyone wants to play around with it.

Two Weapon Fighting: All characters may learn to fight with a weapon in each hand. This does not give the combatant a second attack, but instead allows the chance to make a riposte. Not more than once per round , a Special success on a Parry allows the defender to make a riposte with his secondary weapon. The riposte is a free attack that does not count against the normal maximum number of attacks per round - it occurs right after the defender’s parry. The Special parry may be the result of either weapon; however the extra attack must come from the offhand weapon. This free attack can be parried or dodged, and armor defends normally against it.

The weapons need not be of the same type or size, however the larger weapon will typically be held in the primary hand. Skill for the offhand weapon starts at half the characters normal skill and may be improved through training and experience following the normal methods. Make a separate character sheet entry for it. See Two Weapons on page 233 of Basic Roleplaying for additional rules for Two Weapon Fighting.

Besides ripostes, fighting with two weapons offers the advantage of having a second weapon in hand in case of breakage or a fumble. Two weapons can be advantageous in dark places, when a fire brand could be wielded as a weapon and give light by which to sword fight. In this case, a Special parry with the torch offers the same benefits as any other offhand weapon. A torch is treated as a club when determining chance to hit and or parry.

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Will you be able to riposte with a shield like in Elric!/SB5, or does Classic Fantasy limit it to a second weapon?

Shield as well. I will clarify it in the text. Thanks.

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

It just got passed over.

The rules didn't get written... someone on the forums said "what about ripostes?" and I thought "Drat it!"

Rodney's rules above look fine. I'm including 'em in Interplanetary's fencing system, as well.

Rodney's rules above look fine. I'm including 'em in Interplanetary's fencing system, as well.

Then we should add them to the errata thread/post for the book.

http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/supplements-monographs/1519-basic-roleplaying-chaosium-roleplaying-system.html#post24918

Need some clarifications on the rule, posted in the above thread. Could you have a look at it?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Then we should add them to the errata thread/post for the book.

http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/supplements-monographs/1519-basic-roleplaying-chaosium-roleplaying-system.html#post24918

Need some clarifications on the rule, posted in the above thread. Could you have a look at it?

SGL.

I posted a comment as to my reasonings for improving the off-hand skill.

Rod