Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

tooley1chris

46 minutes ago, tooley1chris said:

No love for crit charts? 

Turns out that'll be a pain to convert correctly anyway. Weapon types vs armor types and all that...so...

I'm going to work on making the previous Manual of Monsters look more like the Folio of Fiends. Same formats anyway, and I'm just gonna combine them into the Big Damn Book of Creatures. I talked about doing this in the past anyway and a lot of peeps didn't like the format of the previous Manuals I converted  (including me after doing folio)

Some wanted a version with no pictures cluttering up the goodies. Anyone else feel that way?

Not me! I want the pictures. It's not the same if you can't show the party what they are fighting...

Ronnie

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Hey, Chris,

I'm on the fence about it, but then monsters are a rare occurance in my games. If the style of play was more creature-centric, I can see how the pictures would come in handy. It's not like a GM has to use them, so I say, throw 'em in for good measure.

Cheers,

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

One of the things about Rolemaster that I hated was the critical charts, so not for me, thanks.

Personally, I'd prefer you to use your impressive talents to churn out more gaming material.

Regarding pictures in minster manuals, I know what a unicorn, bear and centaur look like, so I don;t need pictures of them. Maybe pictures are good for new monsters that are hard to imagine, but generally I prefer text.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Wouldn't be difficult to make a version with and another without pics. Probably a good idea anyway since all 3 books in one will be quite large.

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

No love for crit charts? 

Turns out that'll be a pain to convert correctly anyway. Weapon types vs armor types and all that...so...I'll look at it later.

I'm going to work on making the previous Manual of Monsters look more like the Folio of Fiends. Same formats anyway, and I'm just gonna combine them into the Big Damn Book of Creatures. I talked about doing this in the past anyway and a lot of peeps didn't like the format of the previous Manuals I converted  (including me after doing folio)

Some wanted a version with no pictures cluttering up the goodies. Anyone else feel that way?

No to the questions and yeah! to the Big Damn Book of Creatures! :D

• Like 2

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Right here withcha, bro!

Threw down some foes over at the MW Encounter Generator this weekend and will add more of the same when I get the chance. Anything more substantial is gonna have to wait until summer and I get more time. I hope to have a conversation about the Southern Reaches over the Thanksgiving holidays though. Maybe something will come of that. In the meantime...you are not alone...MW and BRP still live!

Cheers!

• Like 3

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

13 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

Glorantha, Glorantha, Glorantha. ..

All I see in forums anymore. Where are my Magic World peeps? :)

If you post, they will come.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 hours ago, Sunwolfe said:

I hope to have a conversation about the Southern Reaches over the Thanksgiving holidays though. Maybe something will come of that.:)

Really?  A little more than a tease, please? 

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

I'm horrendously busy at work sadly, although I have passed Marcus a scenario for the Magic world site ( a reworking of Chaosium published Elric! scenario) and I'm hopeful of having some more time in December I can spare for MW stuff, so I can try beat some of my rough notes in to shareable / publishable form.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 4

Thanks for everything you share, Nick!

Markus hasn't added 1/4th of the material I've sent him. He must be pretty busy. 

Gonna be awhile before I post another file. Its a bear redoing the Manual of Monsters. ..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

Really?  A little more than a tease, please? 

No, no...don't miss understand. I have nothing to tease about, just a desire to contribute to MW efforts.

I was just re-reading the SR chapter and day-dreaming about the Fey, their culture, sub-cultures, magic, etc. Well, as I've mentioned before, one of my brothers is the mastermind behind the SR. Conversations with him are always thought provoking, and I thought that if the opportunity presented itself over the Thanksgiving holidays, it might be fun to pick his brain about the Reaches and more specifically, the Fey. I know he had many more ideas for the area than were published. Who knows what might come from it? Maybe an idea I can pursue :).

• Like 1

Actually I feel that Chaosium putting MagicWorld on the back burner also kinda liberates it in some ways, leaving it for the fans to tweak to their hearts content, like we used to do with the rpgs back in the 80s (my teens).

Bring on the BRP OSR I say! :)

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 7

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

6 hours ago, Sunwolfe said:

I know he had many more ideas for the area than were published. Who knows what might come from it? Maybe an idea I can pursue :).

Looking forward to your report.  The Fey is something that I was most interested in expanding in my own game.  It would be nice to hear about the direction it was intended to go as my own personal inclination is to develop material that would compliment or at least consider what was originally conceived.

Left to my own devices my fey would (hopefully) end up as a mixture of Hellboy and Froud.   

43 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

Actually I feel that Chaosium putting MagicWorld on the back burner also kinda liberates it in some ways, leaving it for the fans to tweak to their hearts content, like we used to do with the rpgs back in the 80s (my teens).

Bring on the BRP OSR I say! :)

I agree, like, a thousand percent.  I just wish we had gotten the books that had been in development.

• Like 4

70/420

" I just wish we had gotten the books that had been in development."

Hear! Hear! Chaot!

Cheers,

• Like 2

On November 19, 2015 at 11:45:12 AM, tooley1chris said:

Markus hasn't added 1/4th of the material I've sent him. He must be pretty busy. 

Gonna be awhile before I post another file. Its a bear redoing the Manual of Monsters. ..

Cool.  At some point I want to send something as well.  Probably my Monster World stuff polished up.  No place near ready for the light of day right now though.

• Like 1

70/420

Finally getting a chance to play test my Mega Dungeon Ark of the Apocalypse. 

Its on a Play by Post game over at The Unseen Servant, so it'll be slow going, but it's something since my face to face game switched from fantasy to a modern The Walking Dead campaign. 

Am excited to see how it plays out.

DINOSAURS...

Ugh!  I intentionally left these out of my conversions so far but doing the new book I decided to go ahead and add them. However, using the conversion formula these creatures tend to have a lot of hit dice making their bite attacks fairly high in the percent range. Now looking at dragons in MW core, you can see dragons typically have a 25% chance to bite/ claw you. Should I go with this type of % based on the dinosaurs being of very low INT, or should they be more dangerous than even a dragon? Opinions needed please.

Hey, Chris,

That seems a bit low for a dragon--to me anyway. I'd hate to give a dragon lower skill/ability scores than a dinosaur :-T. I guess it depends on game-world and GM need, but it makes me wonder about classifying dragons, or any creature for that matter, like mooks and their more experienced kin. I mean, could dragons be classified, like NPCs on page 221: Minor (your 25%er+ ), Average (40%), Experienced (60%), Heroic (75%), and Epic (100%)? I think that's the way I'd go. I certainly wouldn't give a dragon in my world lower scores than an allosaurus, so, keeping SIZ and INT in mind, dinos in my world would not be as formidable as a dragon.

Cheers!

Yeah, the dragons in my conversions become more powerful with age.

I think TSR gave dinos a big HD for massive hit points due to size but forgot to add " attacks as 5 HD monster"

Edited by tooley1chris

Done with combining Folio of Fiends and Manual of Monsters I. Working on incorporating Manual of Monsters II and have fixed a lot of bad numbers, copy /paste errors, spelling errors, and just plain bad conversions. 

• Like 4