Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

tooley1chris

20 hours ago, Nick J. said:

This is about the most comprehensive resource specifically written for gaming that I've ever stumbled across for historical prices of goods and services.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/241058

If that doesn't do it, then godspeed and good luck.

$30 for a Pdf tho and with no sample pages...ugh...also not sure about one of the writers replies about all coinage being silver. Anyone who has seen a good deal of ancient coins will see a LOT of bronze. 

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

17 hours ago, rsanford said:

I use renaissance pricing from the book “And a ten foot pole’.

I think I even have this laying around somewhere. Thanks.

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

15 minutes ago, tooley1chris said:

$30 for a Pdf tho and with no sample pages...ugh...also not sure about one of the writers replies about all coinage being silver. Anyone who has seen a good deal of ancient coins will see a LOT of bronze. 

It lists more than just silver coinage, but it's written from a medieval/renaissance perspective, hence the silver standard.

The price is kind of steep, but you can tell a lot of research went into it and it covers everything.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Nick J. said:

It lists more than just silver coinage, but it's written from a medieval/renaissance perspective, hence the silver standard.

The price is kind of steep, but you can tell a lot of research went into it and it covers everything.

Ok I went ahead and bought the PDF. QUITE RIGHT! A LOT of work went into this. It's really quite impressive.

LOL. I also note that a lot of the prices, at least around the 1250 years, are quite similar to the MW Bronze to silver ratio and the prices in the MW book, with some exceptions (some extreme)

*sigh*

I think because I'm making this city for Magic World I'll go ahead and stick with MW pricing and just wing it on some of the items/services/ect...

1 hour ago, tooley1chris said:

LOL. I also note that a lot of the prices, at least around the 1250 years, are quite similar to the MW Bronze to silver ratio and the prices in the MW book, with some exceptions (some extreme)

*sigh*

I think because I'm making this city for Magic World I'll go ahead and stick with MW pricing and just wing it on some of the items/services/ect...

That's the thing about valuation and economies; they're all just a little bit different, because what's fashionable, scarce, or dear varies based on culture and society. I mostly refer to "The Marketplace"  when I want to give a thing a value that doesn't exist in another rule book (be it Magic World or any other medieval-ish fantasy game) and just remember that chasing perfect accuracy isn't all that important (unless you're gaming with people that really sweat that kind of stuff).

Edited by Nick J.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm really cruising along on Tindale. Havent had hardly any "burn out breaks" in the last couple months. 

Tons of NPCs

Side quests

Dozens of shops, homes, apartments, temples, guilds, taverns, inns.  

All mapped, described in detail, and 3d rendered.

Figure in another 5 years it will be complete, then comes the editing 😀😀😀

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Ok well it wasnt quite 5 years...

This may be a bit premature but I think I'm done with the mapping of the town. This includes homes, shops, temples, market vendors, government buildings, ect with generated NPCs to fill them. Even mapped a farmstead hamlet, a roadside inn, and a couple small side trek adventure areas outside town and along the White River.

I've got to finish a few quests, tie up some loose ends, and implement some of the NPCs you guys created here:(always room for more!)

• Like 3

In case theres anybody out there:

Of course then comes proofreading, correcting errors, putting it in PDF format, fixing things when my conversion program inevitably moves them around on me, then placing about 500 bookmarks for easy reference....

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

In case theres anybody out there:

Of course then comes proofreading, correcting errors, putting it in PDF format, fixing things when my conversion program inevitably moves them around on me, then placing about 500 bookmarks for easy reference....

Hmmm.  Check in with Chaosium.  See if perchance they have any plans for a MW and/or BRP "community content" program on DTRPG.  I think they are getting good results with CoC and RQG...

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

Hmmm.  Check in with Chaosium.  See if perchance they have any plans for a MW and/or BRP "community content" program on DTRPG.  I think they are getting good results with CoC and RQG...

Well, we are all waiting with baited breath to see what this "Open License"  for BRP will actually, but whilst waiting for that there are also Chaosium's established license models: https://www.chaosium.com/fan-use-and-licensing/

;) 

Nick

I've never sold any of my MW/BRP materials. I've even turned down "donations" and asked them to buy something from Chaos in the MW line instead 😎

I'm not likely to ever buy a license to publish. I'd have to up my game quite a bit to match the quality needed to use the Chaosium name on my stuff. That's a lot of work. 😀

Also I havent been doing all this work for a profit on my end. I only ever wanted to make the game more enjoyable for my players and help make new and veteran MW players/chroniclers jobs a little easier. Who doesnt like a plethora of new options in their games? Well, at least to have the material in place if an option is desired. Whatever, you know what I mean 😀

Edited by tooley1chris

41 minutes ago, tooley1chris said:

I've never sold any of my MW/BRP materials. I've even turned down "donations" and asked them to buy something from Chaos in the MW line instead 😎

I'm not likely to ever buy a license to publish. I'd have to up my game quite a bit to match the quality needed to use the Chaosium name on my stuff. That's a lot of work. 😀

Also I havent been doing all this work for a profit on my end. I only ever wanted to make the game more enjoyable for my players and help make new and veteran MW players/chroniclers jobs a little easier. Who doesnt like a plethora of new options in their games? Well, at least to have the material in place if an option is desired. Whatever, you know what I mean 😀

Honestly, the "community content" arena is NOT there to get rich offa!  Anyone who think's it's their pathway to golden goblets and fawning servants has probably believed too much of their own fiction-writing...  😉

What it DOES represent -- why I think you very-well may be interested -- is to be a highly-visible and easily-accessible source of <system X> fan-produced content, on the biggest online RPG retail site.  There's plenty of RPG players -- even BRP players -- who never visit BRPCentral, who've never even heard of it.

Everyone understands that it's "fan content" -- nobody is expecting it to be "professional" quality.

If you don't even want "donations," make it PWYW and -- if anyone DOES pay -- donate the funds to one of the RPG-centric charity projects.  Or set a ridiculously low price (3.99?), and make accordingly-larger donations.  n.b. lots of research supports the idea that people don't much value stuff they get "for free" so a nominal price might actually get your work more looked-at than making it free.  Also -- Chaosium DOES get a cut of all those payments.

But to your point --  "[You] only ever wanted to make the game more enjoyable for my players and help make new and veteran MW players/chroniclers jobs a little easier. Who doesnt like a plethora of new options in their games?" -- it is for exactly that reason that I think a DTRPG "community content" program would be just up your alley!  It appears to be the best way to get your content under the eyes -- and into the d/l folders -- of the most gamers.

All of which, of course, is entirely dependent on Chaosium actually setting up such a program.  As @NickMiddleton notes, there's this little OGL(ish) thing coming...  It may represent Chaosium taking a bit more interest in the line, possibly enough to open a Community Content store for it...

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

What it DOES represent -- why I think you very-well may be interested -- is to be a highly-visible and easily-accessible source of <system X> fan-produced content, on the biggest online RPG retail site.  There's plenty of RPG players -- even BRP players -- who never visit BRPCentral, who've never even heard of it.

Yes. What often hurts RPGs is that they are not necessarily written for a particular setting that people would like to game in. With D&D this isn't an issue since there are so many companies producing stuff that notonly is every niche probably covered, but a GM has a choice of multiple takes on a topic to choose from. But with smaller RPGs, most settings/genres aren't covered, or at least not as comprehensively, and fan produced stuff helps to give a GM some options or guidelines to adapt a game to whatever setting they are looking to run. Ditto with adventures. If your running D&D you have an almost infintitve selection, but most other RPGs don't have enough adventures to support a campaign.

So fan produced stuff helps, even if it isn't a polished as professional stuff. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

2 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

So fan produced stuff helps, even if it isn't a polished as professional stuff. 

And now that so many "community content" programs are going, DTRPG is becoming -- even more -- the fan's go-to place to get content... even other fans' content.

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

And now that so many "community content" programs are going, DTRPG is becoming -- even more -- the fan's go-to place to get content... even other fans' content.

Yeah, especially for people who play games like BRP. I typically stop by and look at some of the free stuff and stuff that can be adapted to whatever game I'm actually running. Something a short fan made adventure or supplment is more useful that a full fledged professional product as there is less "baggage" to deal with.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

This conversation is worthy of its own topic in Alastor's Skull Inn, if there isn't one already. Very interesting stuff. BRP finally getting Open License with a little freedom would be sweet.

4 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

This conversation is worthy of its own topic in Alastor's Skull Inn, if there isn't one already. Very interesting stuff. BRP finally getting Open License with a little freedom would be sweet.

It apparently got mentioned at a panel discussion at a Con this past summer/fall/ish... The Kraken?  I'm not sure.  Chaosium has confirmed it, but without much in the way of details.

There will be a new draft of the BRP rules, apparently?

It will be published under a new Chaosium-written Open License (explicitly NOT the WotC OGL, which Jeff has stated he has a few qualms with); I'm unclear whether they'll use the OGL as a model, or look to Creative Commons, or cleansheet the process, or what.  I presume it will be largely like (or identical to) the license they'll use for the upcoming new HeroQuest core.

I am guessing they are waiting to make a "big" announcement until everything is about ready to roll out.

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...

So apparently in all the shuffle I failed to map the keep/castle. Just had a week vacation (where we couldn't go anywhere, thanks Covid) so I was able to get most of it mapped and populated. Working on descriptions and NPCs now, for interior areas. Another few days and I'll be throwing it all together.

Am curious about YOUR preference on something. When you read a PDF do you prefer the double margins on pages or single margins? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Downloaded the Big Book of Monster yesterday. Very nice work! :)
(BTW, I spend 3 hours creating bookmarks for every single entry / monsters, should I share the file? It's 82Mb..)

There is probably a lot of unexpected surprises in it... But there is one thing one thing that jump my eyes:
The armour value of many demons is like: X + Y infernal radiance
The armour value of many deva/solar/... is like: X + Y divine radiance

What is this radiance thing?! 😮 How does it works?

• Thanks 1