Can Magic World be used as a base for BRP settings?

speedknob

Hello folks!

Brand new here.  I have the Magic World book and the quick start rules for BRP.  My question is this:

Do the two books mentioned above give me all I need to run things like 'Devil's Gulch' and 'Chronicles of Future Earth'?

Thanks in advance!

My eyes are small but they have seen the beauty of enormous things.

Magic World is pretty much a self contained and complete system with only a few little things that assume you have other materials.

So Yes. You should be fine. Welcome aboard!

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Also check the fantasy downloads section. There's lots of user created material that May help your campaign.

These forums are a think-tank of knowledgeable and friendly people. Don't be shy asking questions!

• Like 2

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Brand new here.  I have the Magic World book and the quick start rules for BRP.  My question is this:

Do the two books mentioned above give me all I need to run things like 'Devil's Gulch' and 'Chronicles of Future Earth'?

I believe those other books use some of the other Powers from the Big Gold Book, notably Magic (spells as skills), Psychic Abilities (also skills) and Super Powers (point-buy powers).  You could run"Devils Gulch" with Sorcery only, though, and improvise the few Super Powers and Psychic Abilities referenced in CoFE, but you'd cut off some character options.

• Like 1

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Thanks for the responses and the welcome.  I will probably wind up with the 'Big Gold Book' at some point (It keeps calling for me) but am trying to prioritize my budget.  My best course is probably to start with 'Devil's Gulch' and do a small story arc or some one-shots and see how well I can piece the rules together.

Now, to poke around the forums!

Thanks for the responses and the welcome.  I will probably wind up with the 'Big Gold Book' at some point (It keeps calling for me) but am trying to prioritize my budget.  My best course is probably to start with 'Devil's Gulch' and do a small story arc or some one-shots and see how well I can piece the rules together.

Now, to poke around the forums!

I highly recommend both the Big Gold Book and Devil's Gulch that is a great springboard for an Old/Weird West campaign. The Big Gold Book is great because it is not set for a certain genre as Magic World is and you can pick any of the optional rules you like and ignore the rest depending on how much crunch you want. I have myself run a successful Weird West campaign and if that is your plan I do recommend  checking out the Aces High monographs too. Plenty of stuff you can pick from there to incorporate into your own game.

• Like 1

I highly recommend both the Big Gold Book and Devil's Gulch that is a great springboard for an Old/Weird West campaign. The Big Gold Book is great because it is not set for a certain genre as Magic World is and you can pick any of the optional rules you like and ignore the rest depending on how much crunch you want. I have myself run a successful Weird West campaign and if that is your plan I do recommend  checking out the Aces High monographs too. Plenty of stuff you can pick from there to incorporate into your own game.

Ahhh, you've blazed the trail that I am just starting.  I will take your advice!

While what Hexelis said is technically true, in that many of them assume you have it, you could largely get by with other stuff, for many of them. What you said you have (Magic World + BRP Basic PDF) will cover most scenarios enough that you can get by. the BGB does have a bunch of optional rules that could make your games better, but if you pick up an adventure or setting book and you're wanting to use it with what you've got you've got a fair bit of material covered thus far.

Some other good cheapies or freebies ($1 or less) I would suggest grabbing to expand your collection and see what else you might be interested in include:

OpenQuest 2 Basic, RuneQuest 6 Essentials, Legend, Call of Cthulhu 7 Quickstart, Call of Cthulhu Quickstart, Cthulhu Invictus Bestiae, Renaissance SRD, Age of Shadow. They've all got different things which you might want, and it's a good collection of samplers to point you in the direction of whih d100 products inteest you most, but luckily there's a good amount of compatibility either way.

When you're searching DTRPG, you want to look under Rules Systems at BRP, Legend, Pendragon, RuneQuest, d100/d100 Lite. (hopefully I got all of the categories, if not I'm sure someone will point out any I missed).

With Magic World and the BRP Quickstarter, you have enough to run probably any BRP/RQ game reasonably well. There might be a few rules that are not specified in those two supplements, but you should be able to come here and we can clarify anything. That is, if you are not comfortable with making rules fit yourself.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Some other good cheapies or freebies ($1 or less) I would suggest grabbing to expand your collection and see what else you might be interested in include:

OpenQuest 2 Basic, RuneQuest 6 Essentials, Legend, Call of Cthulhu 7 Quickstart, Call of Cthulhu Quickstart, Cthulhu Invictus Bestiae, Renaissance SRD, Age of Shadow. They've all got different things which you might want, and it's a good collection of samplers to point you in the direction of whih d100 products inteest you most, but luckily there's a good amount of compatibility either way.

Thanks for teh advice.  I didn't realize that RuneQuest and OpenQuest were based on this system.  I have PDFs for them both (OpenQuest Basic and the full RuneQuest6 system) thanks to Bundle of Holding.  Also, I am putting a gameroom together in my basement and got a bunch of stuff out of storage, and found copies of Elric! and Corum.

• Like 2

Thanks for teh advice.  I didn't realize that RuneQuest and OpenQuest were based on this system.  I have PDFs for them both (OpenQuest Basic and the full RuneQuest6 system) thanks to Bundle of Holding.  Also, I am putting a gameroom together in my basement and got a bunch of stuff out of storage, and found copies of Elric! and Corum.

Magic World is essentially Elric! with the serial numbers filed off, and some extra bits added.

• Like 1

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I got the BGB in through Amazon (my FLGS has closed) and it had no packing and was damaged, so it has to go back.  I just have a real hard time dealing with damaged books unless I was responsible for the damage.  I think it's an OCD issue.  Anyhoo, I have flipped through it and it seems very cool and well made . . . just not designed to fly around a truck without packing.   :7

Magic World is essentially Elric! with the serial numbers filed off, and some extra bits added.

Anything that has an Elric or Eternal Champion reference is treated like a holy relic in my house.  I will leave the Elric! tome in its place and use MW then.

• Like 1

I also have Hawkmoon! We recently finished an epic campaign of Stormbringer/Hawkmoon/Corum. Started with Tragic Millennium characters went to the Young Kingdoms and finished off with the Rouge Mistress campaign. It was so awesome! I wanted to keep playing but my group is currently disabled.

I also have Hawkmoon! We recently finished an epic campaign of Stormbringer/Hawkmoon/Corum. Started with Tragic Millennium characters went to the Young Kingdoms and finished off with the Rouge Mistress campaign. It was so awesome! I wanted to keep playing but my group is currently disabled.

Hawkmoon?  There's a Hawkmoon sourcebook?!?     :huh:

Hawkmoon?  There's a Hawkmoon sourcebook?!?     :huh:

Chaosium published a boxed Hawkmoon game back in the 1980's that was a version of the then Stormbringer system adapted to the Tragic Millenium setting. Unlike Steve Perrin and Ken St Andre's Stormbringer, which despite its inaccuracies and errors somehow caught the spirit and feel of the Elric stories remarkably well, the boxed Hawkmoon felt rather thin and didn't really capture the feel of either the Runestaff sequence or the Chronicles of Castle Brass. It got one supplement.

A decade or so back, Lawrence Whitaker (Loz of the Design Mechanism / RQ6) wrote and Chasoium published a monograph for Stormbringer 5th edition that superbly presented the Tragic Millenium setting for that game.

More recently Mongoose Publishing (when they had the Eternal Champion license) did a Hawkmoon game based on MRQ1, which they also published several supplements for, some of which Loz wrote IIRC.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

Anything that has an Elric or Eternal Champion reference is treated like a holy relic in my house.  I will leave the Elric! tome in its place and use MW then.

If you compare the two, you'll see that Magic World is about a 75% cut and paste from Elric! (I was the editor of MW, btw). From there I went through all of the Elric!/Stormbringer 5 supplements, and collected tons of more material. So, for example, while Magic World doesn't have the Demon Creation rules from Elric!, it has -all- the Sorcery spells from all the Elric!/SB5 supplements in it. (The Demon rules show up in Advanced Sorcery). Likewise, I pulled the Ships and Sailing rules from Seas of Fate, and plopped them in MW.

So, point is, if you liked the old Elric! game, MW is pretty much exactly the same, but with the Moorcockisms extracted.

• Like 1

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I just checked my shelf. I actually haven't read it. I picked it up in a bargain bin for $5 a couple years back when I was picking up stuff for MRQII.

2008, MRQ1.

It's a pretty good book.  I like the science-sorcery rules.  Been meaning to convert them into a full blown set of gadgeteering rules.