What RPG settings do you wish you could play in?

Questbird

This is related to

What RPG settings would you like to play but haven't? They can be BRP or non-BRP. This is about setting, not rule-system.

For me, it's Tekumel or Empire of the Petal Throne. I've read a lot about it, even collected some of the varyingly in-print supplements. And even though I might be tempted to GM it I've been held back by two things: the lack of interest in the wacky Tsolyani names from my players, and scarcity of BRP adaptions of the game (though there are some).

Over to you people!

• Like 1

Hmm.

Here is a list of settings I would be interested in playing games about.

• Northern Kingdoms (The Witcher).
  • A Song of Ice and Fire
  • Nosgoth (Legacy of Kain)
  • Ivalice (Final Fantasy Tactics/Final Fantasy 11/Vagrant Story)
  • Fou Empire/Eastern Kingdoms(Breath of Fire IV)
  • ?? (Breath of Fire 2/3)
  • World of Balance (Final Fantasy 6)
  • Fa'Diel (Legend of Mana)
  • Middle Earth
  • USA (Supernatural)
  • USA (Grimm)
  • 4th-6th Century Mythic Britain
  • 7th-11th Century Mythic Scandinavia
  • Riverworld
  • The Alien World of Mer (Pirates of Dark Water)
  • Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
  • Hyborian Age
  • Elder Scrolls
  • Arcane Age Faerun (elven dominant period, dragon dominant period, or sarrukh dominant period).
  • Faerun (Menzoberranzan, Cormanthor, Sea of Fallen Stars/Moonsea, )
  • Ravenloft
  • Spelljammer
  • A homebrew fantasy setting with various "best of" Iron-Age->Medieval cultures transplanted to a new world, with Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, magic, etc already present there.
  • Ravnica
  • Lorwyn
  • Azeroth

And here are things I have run, want to play in, but never had the opportunity to do so:

• Faerun (Waterdeep, Dalelands, Sword Coast, The North)
  • Golarion/Inner Sea Region.
  • Defiance
  • Stargate SG1/Atlantis

I really need to find another GM interested in the same settings I am, and capable of picking one of them up and running with it. I feel somewhat doomed to always run the games I wish I could play in, and never have the opportunity to play and of the games I want to.

• Like 1

Narnia

Middle Earth

Fifties sci-fi

Fritz Lang's Metropolis

Gotham CIty 1966

Radio Ranch (Phantom Empire)

The pulp Mid-East of Chandu the Magician, Rocky Jordan and the Ghost Corps.

Undersea Kingdom

Seleucid Empire/Hasmonean dynasty in Judea

Barsoom (John Carter of Mars)

Third Earth (ThunderCats -- yeah, they're loose again!)

Pellucidar

Among others ...  ;)

Current BRP campaigns I manage to run:

* Pulp Cthulhu (Call of Cthulhu meets Amazing Adventures)

* RuneQuest Glorantha

Currently playing:

* White Wolf Storyteller, World of Darkness settings (DA Fae at present)

Settings I would love to play BRP/RQ in, if I had the time to develop the settings:

* Middle Earth

* Hyborian Age

* Elder Scrolls

* Forgotten Realms

* Mad Max or Terminator

BRP/RQ Settings I would love to play one day:

* Mythic Iceland

* Merrie England

* Mythic Britain

* ROME

* Celestial Kingdom

* River of Heaven

Other rpgs I would love to play or GM:

* FATE - Spirit Of The Century; Age of Ragnarok

* Ubiquity - All For One; Hollow Earth Expeditions; League Of Adventurers

* Eclipse Phase

* Traveller

* Cipher - Numenera and/or The Strange

* D20 - 13th Age, Conan, Star Wars

So many games, so little time...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I really need to find another GM interested in the same settings I am, and capable of picking one of them up and running with it. I feel somewhat doomed to always run the games I wish I could play in, and never have the opportunity to play and of the games I want to.

Amen, brother.  That's the story of my life.  I don't get to game much as it is; when I do, I'm usually GM; when I actually get to play, it's pretty much classic fantasy or modern horror.  Don't get me wrong - I like those genres, but there are so many other cool things out there.  I can barely get anyone interested in playing anything else, much less GMing for me.  But that's enough whining ...

I'd love to play in the ballpark of modern noir / con / heist.  I love shows like LEVERAGE, BURN NOTICE, and HUSTLE.  The obvious candidate would be the LEVERAGE RPG, but I also like the WELLSTONE CITY setting - currently written for Savage Worlds and Aether, but easy enough to run with almost anything - especially BRP!

Something pulp scifi would be cool.  Though I'm not a huge fan of Savage Worlds these days, I'd still jump at the chance to play SLIPSTREAM.  The new ROCKET AGE RPG looks cool too (and the Vortex system looks decent enough).  DOCTOR WHO: ADVENTURES IN TIME AND SPACE would also be fun.   

I'd love to play some seriously low-magic, human only fantasy, something Conanesque perhaps, or maybe something with a mythical Asia vibe.  I'm so sick of magic - it just makes everything way too easy ...

• Like 1

I got the special edition of the Doctor Who rules for my girlfriend's birthday. It seems like a simple enough system, but if I end up running a Doctor Who game it'll probably be with Fate.

Amen, brother. That's the story of my life. I don't get to game much as it is; when I do, I'm usually GM; when I actually get to play, it's pretty much classic fantasy or modern horror. Don't get me wrong - I like those genres, but there are so many other cool things out there. I can barely get anyone interested in playing anything else, much less GMing for me. But that's enough whining ...

I'd love to play in the ballpark of modern noir / con / heist. I love shows like LEVERAGE, BURN NOTICE, and HUSTLE. The obvious candidate would be the LEVERAGE RPG, but I also like the WELLSTONE CITY setting - currently written for Savage Worlds and Aether, but easy enough to run with almost anything - especially BRP!

Something pulp scifi would be cool. Though I'm not a huge fan of Savage Worlds these days, I'd still jump at the chance to play SLIPSTREAM. The new ROCKET AGE RPG looks cool too (and the Vortex system looks decent enough). DOCTOR WHO: ADVENTURES IN TIME AND SPACE would also be fun.

I'd love to play some seriously low-magic, human only fantasy, something Conanesque perhaps, or maybe something with a mythical Asia vibe. I'm so sick of magic - it just makes everything way too easy ...

I got the special edition of the Doctor Who rules for my girlfriend's birthday. It seems like a simple enough system, but if I end up running a Doctor Who game it'll probably be with Fate.

Ya, Vortex looks like a good system, but not a particularly unusual one - attributes, skills, advantages, disadvantages, etc.  I would think you could run the setting with any number of systems, though I can see how so-called "narrativist" systems such as Fate would be an especially nice fit.  

Ya, Vortex looks like a good system, but not a particularly unusual one - attributes, skills, advantages, disadvantages, etc.  I would think you could run the setting with any number of systems, though I can see how so-called "narrativist" systems such as Fate would be an especially nice fit.  

The traits listed in the book seem very useful to port over as aspects.  The only beef I have with Fate core is the lack of stunts.  I know they provide guidelines for creating your own, and give some sample stunts, but I'd really like a beefier entry on stunts both for ease of character creation and inspiration.

With the mental stress track I think the system would be great for running Call of Cthulhu style games.

• Like 1

Just like most of you, I've almost always ended up being the DM, especially in my longest-running group of 18 years. I've generally played in a lot of fantasy, modern-type settings including World of Darkness, and - as the token sci-fi setting - Star Wars, but one thing I always want to do is more exploration in any genre (especially sci-fi). Problem is that I'm a minority running with groups of "must have some epic conflict to handle, whether it be combat, political, or otherwise."

I'd love to play in the following settings (the underlined ones are settings I've run, but never got to play in):

Call of Cthulhu (My love of Lovecraft is what brought me to love BRP)

Ravenloft (favorite campaign setting; probably know more about this than any other setting with the possible exception of the Cthulhu Mythos)

Forgotten Realms (all of it, not just Toril. Cut my teeth in roleplaying with the Al-Qadim setting, which is still one of my top 3 AD&D settings)

Dark Sun

Planescape

Greyhawk (more of a curiosity, really)

Middle Earth

Uresia: Grave of Heaven (from the BESM line of settings. Quite obscure, but a fun setting with a lot of funny parodies, homages and head nods to old school JRPGs)

Star Trek (Huge desire to play this, actually. Played it once in college and had tons of fun. It also fits my aforementioned love of exploration)

Aliens (Big fan of the franchise due to its Lovecraftian elements. Aliens also seems to have more diversity in its themes compared to Starship Troopers and Starcraft, the latter of which I played a homebrew game or two)

Eclipse Phase (had a taste of the setting using the One Roll Engine and I love the idea of Transhuman Sci Fi, but it's hard to convince others that the lack of a fear of "physical" death can be worked around with good roleplaying instead of just being metagaming fools charging forward)

Elder Scrolls

The setting of the video game Secret of Mana (summoning elementals to cast magic for you? Hell yeah! It's also a great - if a little disjointed - high-fantasy world)

The setting of the video game series Suikoden (love the Rune magic and the semi-heavy political intrigue)

As much as I'd like to put up the various Final Fantasy settings like Ivalice and the World of Balance, those are ones I'd rather play in with the original magic system and such intact since they are a big part of the settings themselves.

Also, the Shining Force series would go here as well, but they're pretty generic high fantasy settings in and of themselves. Just have to make unusual races like centaurs and pegasus knights playable characters.

I think that's it for now... might add to it later.

The traits listed in the book seem very useful to port over as aspects.  The only beef I have with Fate core is the lack of stunts.  I know they provide guidelines for creating your own, and give some sample stunts, but I'd really like a beefier entry on stunts both for ease of character creation and inspiration.

With the mental stress track I think the system would be great for running Call of Cthulhu style games.

The conventional wisdom is that games such as Fate that give players narrative control don't work for horror, but I don't see that myself.  It seems to miss the point that player control isn't the same thing as player character control or success.  As long as you have players who buy into the kind of story you're trying to create, I think it could work really well.

Elder Scrolls

The setting of the video game Secret of Mana (summoning elementals to cast magic for you? Hell yeah! It's also a great - if a little disjointed - high-fantasy world)

The setting of the video game series Suikoden (love the Rune magic and the semi-heavy political intrigue)

Ah, I forgot to think in terms of video game settings.  I actually made a Mass Effect conversion for Savage Worlds a few years back - but as usual, I had no one to GM it for me ...

Ah, I forgot to think in terms of video game settings.  I actually made a Mass Effect conversion for Savage Worlds a few years back - but as usual, I had no one to GM it for me ...

I took Darkholme's examples as the, uh, example.  ;)

Mass Effect would be cool, but I have enough trouble trying to find people to run anything on my list, let alone that; also, my main RPing group generally doesn't look at systems like Savage Worlds without considerably impressive "marketing pitches" by me. Hell, it took me over a decade (well, maybe about half that in actuality since I played a lot of D20 during its early years) to get them off of 3rd Ed/D20 systems for fantasy games and into something like BRP (thank you, ThreeDeeSix and Classic Fantasy).

• Star Trek
  • RIFTS
  • Middle Earth
  • Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
  • Ravenloft
  • Spelljammer
  • Aliens
  • Stargate SG1
  • Macho Women with Guns :P
  • Dragonlance

there is more but my tired mind can't recall the names right now. The  problem is many of those have poor rules systems and need to be

converted.  

• 4 weeks later...

Star Trek - Movie era (Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, etc.). I ran two sessions of a campaign set in this era using Star Trek: The Role Playing Game but my players were not terribly interested in the setting so it fizzled out. I love the ships and the uniforms and the feel of those movies.

My high school group also had a copy of FASA Trek but the game master was not an inspired one and our campaign, too, fizzled after an initial session.  We spent too much time following shipboard duty schedules and not enough time downside on away team missions.  It is a shame because we were all enthusiastic Star Trek fans.

• Like 1