Chroniclers Companion

tooley1chris

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All the Worlds' Monsters Vol. 1 (big book of monsters for MW)

OH! Well... that's one I'm particularly excited to hear about!

All new stuff or will there be some converted content from the originals?

I ran into someone the other day online who was spouting off negatives about MW... and when I pressed him where he'd gotten his opinions (since he had never looked at the book himself) he brought up that #&*@ing anonymous review/post on Tenkar's Tavern. That makes the second time this month I've seen someone regurgitating that crud.

• Like 3

OH! Well... that's one I'm particularly excited to hear about!

All new stuff or will there be some converted content from the originals?

I ran into someone the other day online who was spouting off negatives about MW... and when I pressed him where he'd gotten his opinions (since he had never looked at the book himself) he brought up that #&*@ing anonymous review/post on Tenkar's Tavern. That makes the second time this month I've seen someone regurgitating that crud.

Furthering my fiendish plan to bring back as many classic BRP elements as possible...

So, "All the World's Monsters" is going to be a collection of -tons- of pre-existing monsters, plus a couple dozen new ones. I started by taking all the monsters from the Gateway Bestiary, and converting them to Magic World. Then I went through old, weird Stormbringer books, Hawkmoon, Elfquest, and lots of other stuff. Took all these critters and scrubbed them of license-specific information, and converted them where necessary to MW.

Lastly, but not leastly, I got some of my BRP-head friends to write up some new monsters. Jason Durall, Nick Middleton, Charles Green and a few others all contributed a slew of cool new critters. Some from myth and legend, some from their own fevered imaginings.

It's going to be a great book.

• Like 2

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Big Book of Monsters also has some of my money waiting on it. :)

Me too! The AD&D monster manuals Chris converted are great but I would love to have a polished product with a lot of depth!

• Like 2

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

• 1 month later...

It's probably a bit late now, but I've been meaning to ask a content question about the chronicler's companion for ages and just never got round to it. I always thought that one of the best RQ3 GM supplements was the cities book. I still use mine now., The pages are yellow and it's so well thumbed that the cover has come off. Accepting that random tables aren't necessarily to be encouraged and that individual creativity is best; blah, blah etc. Will we be getting any of that kind of material that helps a tired GM invent something on the fly? I just think that sort of stuff is really helpful when you suddenly realise that the party have gone the wrong way or wandered off the adventure plot, but it's still kind of interesting and you want to run with it.  

• Like 2

I remember that Cities supplement, it was a great idea. I used it a few times to run downtime sessions for part of my old RQ3 campaign, and it was great.

I think there may currently be similar indie products like it that you can get from DrivethruRPG that can be used in any system, which kinda covers the same ground.

However it would be good to have a reprint of the original Cities book, or even just a pdf version.

MagicWorld would be the perfect platform for it 

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I dearly love my Cities book and had to fight several ebay bidding wars to finally secure a copy.. A very, very useful book.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Well if they bring Cities back, then I want QuestWorld while they're at it! :)

I have QuestWorld and I kind of like it. But it was far from perfect. The scenarios are kind of disparate offerings, put together and hastily adapted to Kanos' world map. There are also some inconsistencies between the maps and the scenarios. The solitaire is delightful - I had a lot of fun playing through it - but is pure Glorantha. It has nothing to do with Kanos. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I really wanted to have it out for GenCon, but it's just not to be. Sigh... the best laid plans of mice and Ben.

I love Cities.  I would love to see something like Cities expanded to handle nations and campaigns.

That would be a very interesting book...

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Hey Ben,

I understand that the company shake up likely impacted Chronicler's Companion but can you tell us if the Companion and Monster books are still a high priority?

I just ask because if they are close to coming out I will avoid any RPG purchases for the moment in anticipation of buying them...

Thanks for all you do!

• Like 2

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Stoatbringer said:

In the light of the news that Chaosium isn't going to be publishing any MW products in the near future what is going to happen to the Chronicler's Companion and the Monsters Book?

You can pick up the thread here where it is discussed at some length.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...