Chroniclers Companion

tooley1chris

and errata (sorry) sounds like it could be a hit.

Don't apologize for errata. It has been a tradition of Chaosium's for a long time to include some errata in its publications for those that love such stuff.

• Like 2

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

I get bummed out about the number of errors that snuck through final layout. But then I feel better knowing that people are enjoying the game enough to read it so carefully that they notice those little mistakes.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Just don't let it happen again! (Just kidding) :)

I didn't think it was that Big a deal. I was actually bummed that the section on unarmed damage was a mis-type. I was rolling up a monk for real when I saw the errata correction. LOL

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

• 3 weeks later...

One of the big things I'm looking forward to is redefining allegiance system to allow for pantheons or cults. (So Im told)

Granted, anyone could probably house rule something like this but any companion matetial should be chocked full of gold nuggets to be used by chronicler.

It's only the second supplement released for MW, which is a pretty good reason for me to be excited. The first, Advanced Sorcery, has gotten MUCH use by me.

I've heard of some hints and teasers about CC but will wait and see. Wouldn't wanna ruin any surprises. :)

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

What exactly is in the Chronicler's Companion to get excited about anyway?

It's a bunch of stuff to help you get organized to run your game. And some extra bits to make your campaign more awesomer. Right now, I'd put it in the 96-120 pp. range.

Specifically, here's the table of contents from my draft:

Being a Magic World Chronicler
Planning a chronicle
Civilization
NPC DIGEST
Campaigning in the Southern Reaches
The Philosophical Engine & Expanded Allegiance
Enchantments
FORMS

But wait, that's not all! I'm talking to Nick and Charlie about taking the monograph "Horsechester" (not yet released), and including it in the Chronicler's Companion. That will add information on a small town to kickstart your campaign, as well as a few scenarios.
  • Like 4

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I will probably get shouted at, but I would love to see character templates and player conversion guides that help with capturing and holding the interest of the gamer that is looking for a bit more than acquisition gaming or are tired of AC, classes, alliances etc.

BRP has always been attractive to experienced gamers. However, low/medium crunch BRP games (especially from recognized publishers, games or IPs) like Magic World, have a golden opportunity to capture medium experienced gamers. But, imo they need to provide a little more in helping that medium experience player stick around by giving them something familiar yet enticingly exotic. Character templates, conversion help, optional quick start rules for noobs and ex d20 etc. would help with that. Once the players are familiar with the core of BRP's personality, then those optional rules and templates can be jettisoned, but by then ... they are hooked.

I appreciate that Classic Fantasy kind of does this, but it is a monograph for the BGB, which I feel is aimed at more experienced gamers.

Out of curiosity, is there a topic anyone would like to see covered in this book?

I don't know if it would be better as a section/chapter or as a stand alone product, but I would love a full-blown gazette of the Southern Reaches.

Does chaosium own the rights to the Southern Reaches since it was in Magic World?

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

Dear Santa-Ben,

I wouldn't want MW to become too simulationist--there are other games for that--however, the core book says very little about Mass Combat. I have ever struggled with this as a GM. I would love to see a simple system for mass combat, one in keeping with the spirit and simplicity of MW (SB5ed/RQ3), which offers quick yet exciting rules for resolving the clash of large and small units and, most importantly, units led by player characters. Something that would save the GM from having to search and convert rules that may or may not mesh with the game's rule-style.

On pages 220-21 of the core-book, under the heading "Non-Adventurers" is the suggestion for five different stat-sets for quick NPCs. These are pretty basic, but I like 'em. The profiles, however, are oriented toward hand-to-hand types. It would be cool to have examples of "minor...average...experienced...heroic...epic" of other general tropes, as well as fighters, including: sorcerer, thief, priest, noble, professional, artisan, on hand for a quick grab and fast adaption.

"Oh, yes, I need a bad-ass sorcerer...heroic class...what does she look like and what spells might she have..."

A quick look up later along with an adjustment or two and presto: bad-ass sorceress on the fly.

I realize the above may be beyond the scope of MW...maybe too detailed. I also realize that I could probably make these things myself--I am presently looking at how to adapt RQ6's "...shield wall..." rules--but you did ask what we'd like to see, so I'm dreamin' big :-)

Regardless, I'll be thrilled with whatever finally emerges. Until then, I'm just gonna keep using my tried, true and heavily worn RQ3 Gamemaster booklet (good stuff in there as I'm sure you know).

Cheers,

Sunwolfe

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Chaosium does own the Southern Reaches. I know there's more content coming out for it in due time, but I don't know if they've talked at all about doing an expanded guide/gazetteer for it.

Sounds interesting. Can you tell me more about this?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I wrote that section and can give you an overview. 

The chapter is called "The Philosophical Engine & Expanded Allegiance", as there are two parts that mesh together. 

The first part, The Philosophical Engine, is a system for creating religious thought systems, cults, philosophies, and other religio-spiritual belief systems. The Engine is based on the Light/Balance/Shadow Allegiance system, but can be adapted to represent other forces. Essentially, you determine the basic nature of a belief system, and determine specific, concrete ways to express that belief system in the game. Doing so grants Allegiance points to that force. 

For examples, I use a religion followed by orks, called The Red Way. Orcs who follow The Red Way earn Allegiance to Shadow by acting according to the precepts of the Way. In contrast, the dwarven religion of Burianism grants is followers Allegiance to Balance for following its precepts. 

The second half, Expanded Allegiance, uses the character's Allegiance score. As character's Allegiance gets higher, they unlock certain benefits. Some of these are game-mechanical, like a point of person POW if you don't have enough for Sorcery, while others are mostly story-related. Like, you may attract a small cadre of followers who seek to learn your teaching, or you create a Holy Text that influences the world in subtle but extensive ways. 

Taken together, the two articles allow both players and Game Masters to craft belief systems & philosophies, and a means of having these systems interact with both the rules and the story in a meaningful way. 

• Like 8

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I wrote that section and can give you an overview. 

The chapter is called "The Philosophical Engine & Expanded Allegiance", as there are two parts that mesh together.

I'm looking forward to it.  Of course, you have a talent of pushing BRP so that the system really sings.  Would you say this is an outgrowth of your stuff in Dragonlines or is this a different beast entirely?

70/420

I'm looking forward to it.  Of course, you have a talent of pushing BRP so that the system really sings.  Would you say this is an outgrowth of your stuff in Dragonlines or is this a different beast entirely?

With Dragon Lines, I wanted to create something that used the existing rules more or less as-is, but repackaged in a way that allows for greater flexibility than in normal in BRP. It is very much a "draw from existing material" project, and as such fits in with a lot of how BRP and MW have developed.

The Philosophical Engine & Expanded Allegiance is sort of the opposite of this approach. While it is always nice to get classic material back into play, I was noting that there wasn't a lot of new mechanical stuff coming out. At the time, my personal Hermetic practice was being infused by an influx of Jewish works on Kabbalah, and it occurred to me that, with suitable tweaking, some elements of the Tree of Life could be used as the basis for a DIY religion (which is how the Hermetic stuff works anyway). The article in the Chronicler's Companion is an expression of this idea in a game-rules format. 

• Like 2

Hey all,

I am currently laying out the Chronicler's Companion. It contains all of the material that Mr. Monroe stated earlier in this thread BUT with the addition of the Horsechester material that Mr. Richard LeDuc has written. The Horsechester material consists of a sourcebook detailing the village and environs of Horsechester as well as three scenarios that take place in and around the region. 

Look for it in the next couple of months. I'm going to try to get it to GenCon.

Nick Nacario

Magic World Guy

Chaosium Inc.

CORRECTION: The scenario in the back of Horsechester is a three part scenario, NOT three scenarios. Sorry for the mistake.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...