Guest Vile Traveller

Guest Vile Traveller

I've wanted one of these ever since I didn't buy one back in the 80s when I saw it for sale in my FLGs. Well, I finally decided to stop waiting and blew a load of dosh on a boxed set, seems complete from the "what's in this box" page that comes with it. I really want to run something with it now ...

books_s_zpsd24ca8b5.jpg

WoW is a set I've considered picking up for years now, but never got around to. I remember seeing a shrink-wrapped box at a game store about 8 or 9 years ago, but I balked and the next time I visited the store it had been sold. Kicked myself a few times for that reluctance.

How does MW, SW, and FW stack up? I don't recall reading any reviews of them in the past.

I picked up WoW during a game auction at a con in Spokane back in 1990.  Best $11.50 I ever spent on gaming material!  :)

This was so, SO CLOSE to being a universal set of rules.  I read somewhere (not sure how valid this info is) that Chaosium was going to do a series of WoW boxed sets.  Imagine another boxed set that covered Wild West America/New World Pirates/Cyberpunk followed by a third that did Ancient Greece/Post-Holocaust/Age of the Samurai (just as examples of what could have been done).  Yeah, if only. 

Vile, if you can locate a copy of Different Worlds #23, it has a Designer Notes article for WoW Superworld.  I bought the full boxed Superworld later, but always preferred the simpler rules from the WoW set (and magazine article) more. 

Future World was obviously influenced by Traveller but has some nice concepts of its own.  Superworld gives me a few powers not listed in the BGB.  I don't recall seeing the WoW boxed set at my local game stores but the later edition of Superworld hung around for quite a while.  By that point, though, I'd already begun playing Champions, although my group dallied with almost every other superhero game published except SW.

Guest Vile Traveller

I've never really been into superhero games, and the only time I played was when one of our group ran Champions back in the 80s. But I love the succinct treatment of genres in these tiny, tiny booklets - imagine a world where we had these for every GURPS setting book! Certainly easier on the bookshelf, that's for sure.  :P

Speaking of influences, I'm pretty certain that Peter F. Hamilton was strongly influenced by Future*World in his Commonwealth Saga, with its gate worlds, hive-mind aliens, and force fields. He even had a major character named Sheldon, which is the name of the pre-gen scientist character in the introductory scenario.

• 3 weeks later...

Future World was obviously influenced by Traveller but has some nice concepts of its own.  Superworld gives me a few powers not listed in the BGB.  I don't recall seeing the WoW boxed set at my local game stores but the later edition of Superworld hung around for quite a while.  By that point, though, I'd already begun playing Champions, although my group dallied with almost every other superhero game published except SW.

Not surprising. WoW only ever had one printing, while SuperWorld had a few. Sadly, the last printing was -way- overprinted. I remember one DunDraCon when a friend of mine and I were tasked with the project of giving away 300 copies of SW and a bunch of supplements to help out with the overstocked inventory of it.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Ironically, the 1993 boxed set now sells for $100 at Amazon.com, sold out at Noble Knight Games in November 2014, and is unlisted at Troll and Toad.  It is available from Chaosium only as a PDF.

In contrast, both Villains and Vigilantes and Heroes Unlimited, superhero games from the same era, have never been out of print and are still available.  Noble Knight still has copies of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness at reasonable prices.  FASERIP Marvel Superheroes is available free online both in its original form and as the retroclone 4C.  Champions and GURPS Supers are available in new editions.

So ... what happened to all those "unwanted" Superworld copies?  :huh:

(Print On Demand -- It's a beautiful thing.)  :D

• 3 weeks later...

I always loved this set: Concise, surprisingly playable, and with plenty of room for expansion. I even used Future World to run a sci-fi Call Of Cthulhu game, with an expeditionary group sent through the newly-opened Gate to the lost colony around Aldebaran. There they found the remains of the colony warpship and settlement near a strange lake surrounded by eldritch standing stones ...

The Space Gamer did one scenario for Future World and Different Worlds published a couple of articles developing Magic World and Super World but support seems to have ended there. If anyone knows of any additional expansions on this set, let me know.

• Like 1