Mythic Iceland

Trifletraxor

I would second the old ad&d 2e Viking source book for another reason as well.

It seems a nasty case of bad timing that WotC has withdrawn the PDF of

the Viking source book from Drive Thru RPG only recently ... :mad:

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The author is a member of this forum, but not very active to say the least. Last summer, at the last Tentacles Con, I saw a preview of it that looked pretty close to finished. Haven't really heard that much since then though.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It's time for a progress update!

I have finished writing the book. The complete manuscript is now in Chaosium's hands. I have not heard from them yet about a publication date, but I will post news with regards to that when I can. The final page count should be around 200 pages.

Mythic Iceland presents a setting that blends the Sagas with fairytales of Iceland, focused on the Pagan Commonwealth Period from 930 to 1050, and is written so that both purely historical and fairy-tale inspired campaigns are supported.

This is the list of chapters (this may change as Chaosium prepares the book for publication):

- History of Mythic Iceland

- Character Creation

- Life in Saga Age Iceland

- Law and Government

- Norse and Christian Religion

- Magic in Mythic Iceland

- Traveller's Guide to Mythic Iceland

- The Hidden People

- Álfheimur, The World of the Elves

- The Lands to the West - Greenland and Wineland

- The Known World

- Going Viking

- Running a game of Mythic Iceland

- Creatures of Icelandic Sagas and Fairy Tales

- A complete adventure for Mythic Iceland set in pre-conversion times

- Appendix: Cthulhu Dark Ages Iceland

- A complete Cthulhu Dark Ages scenario

I have finished writing the book. The complete manuscript is now in Chaosium's hands.

This is good news, I am very much looking forward to this one. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's not the same as this, is it? (http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?products_id=5132)

Two viking age dark age monographs at the same time. And a MRQ2 Vikings book by Pete Nash on the way, too. Good time to be a fan of the Norse!

I don't think so, the one mentioned above is designed for CoC dark ages ( I bought a copy out of curiousity ) It's mostly one very long scenario. That said there's a big section on the nordic/viking view of magic, the spirit world, shamanry and a good few spells that could easily be adapted for non Coc BRP. It' falls into the nice to have but not essential category imo.

I had a meeting with Meghan from Chaosium last week to go over layout and art for the book. Mythic Iceland is going to be published as a BRP supplement, and not as a monograph.

There is no set date for publication yet, as it has only started going through editing and layout, but I hope to see the book hit to printers some time in the first half of 2011.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Mythic Iceland has been announced for August/September 2011! :)

http://www.chaosium.com/article.php?story_id=490

When I submitted the text to Chaosium I didn't realise that the book was going to end up being this large - over 300 pages!

I am very pleased with Chaosium's work on the layout and with the art they have selected for the book.

Btw, this is not the final version of the cover image. I have requested that the artist make a few changes, like removing the horns from the helmet that the Viking man is wearing. I like this image a lot overall, it's supposed to be Raven-Floki, the first Norseman to deliberately sail to Iceland, at the very moment that the stories say he named the country, after climbing up a mountain and looking down a fjord and seeing so much ice and no people or farms.

• 3 weeks later...

I like this image a lot overall, it's supposed to be Raven-Floki, the first Norseman to deliberately sail to Iceland, at the very moment that the stories say he named the country, after climbing up a mountain and looking down a fjord and seeing so much ice and no people or farms.

Nice! Could you do a little description of the piece in the front matter, explaining that?

Seriously can't wait for this book.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Thats a great news.

Finally I could not get the RQII Vikings it was unavailable at Amazon when I ordered it...so I cancelled the order.

I will then wait for that one ;t)

A pity you gave up on getting MRQII Vikings, it's an excellent supplement.

Mythic Iceland looks interesting, I think I'll grab a copy, even if I already own MRQII Vikings (and AHRQIII Vikings). You cannot have too many good supplements about vikings!!

Grając zaś w grę komputerową, być może zdarzyło się wam zapragnąć zejść z wyznaczonej przez autorów ścieżki i, miast zabić smoka i ożenić się z księżniczką, zabić księżniczkę i ożenić się ze smokiem.

• 2 months later...

i currently hold in my hands the pre publication proof edition i bought at gen con. it weighs in at 274 pages and is very cool. it does have 2 adventures in it one a mythic iceland one and the other a chtulhu dark ages one. i really enjoyed the chapter on runecarving it was pretty awsome. i think i will probably use a bit of herb lore from classic fantasy when i get my group to play it. i dont want to spoil anyones anticipation of it but since i am from the states and really have very limited knowledge of iceland i was very pleased with it. now i just have to get my regular group to finish our 2 year running deadlands reloaded game and mayby start this :) if you have reservations about buying it i will give you my opinion ........... buy it dont hesitate :)