Mythic Iceland

Trifletraxor

Hoping on the standard Halloween week sale this year. I have three or four titles I'm wanting to get and this book is the impetus for me to actually order them. Between this, the new Merrie England, River of Heaven and RQ6, I think I am going to have to stop buying d100 books for a while.

121/420

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i currently hold in my hands the pre publication proof edition i bought at gen con. it weighs in at 274 pages and is very cool. it does have 2 adventures in it one a mythic iceland one and the other a chtulhu dark ages one. i really enjoyed the chapter on runecarving it was pretty awsome. i think i will probably use a bit of herb lore from classic fantasy when i get my group to play it. i dont want to spoil anyones anticipation of it but since i am from the states and really have very limited knowledge of iceland i was very pleased with it. now i just have to get my regular group to finish our 2 year running deadlands reloaded game and mayby start this :) if you have reservations about buying it i will give you my opinion ........... buy it dont hesitate :)

Has it got a good bestiary ?

about 18 pages of beastiary detailing things such as the kraken and jotunn. i dont really want to say to much becouse i dont want to give it away but the beastiary is mostly about icelandic folklore and their own specific creatures. i think it is great becouse it details creatures and beasts from islandic fairy tales and legend.

I was curiouse if anyone had any ideas as to other racial cultures that may have come along a fantasy Mythic Iceland, for example Arabian, Turkish, Tang or Sung Dynasty (Chinese), Persian, and would some of the I guess you would call them Europeon cultures like Celt, Saxon (i think these are actually iceland native?), Britans, etc. I was kinda thinking in terms of the movie "13th Warrior". I honestly dont know if cultures are the right word i am looking for or not and even if most of these were around in the year 980 ish. I am wanting to make kind of a racial sheet for each of the ones that could be used in Mythic Iceland so my players will have more than just the Icelandic race to choose from. Does anyone know if any of the other monographs has kind of a racial profession listing with skills listed in them?

thanks in advance

heath delashmit

Has it got a good bestiary ?

The bestiary chapter of Mythic Iceland contains 21 new creatures from Icelandic fairy-tales and Norse legend. There are also nine new creatures from Greenland and North America based on the native folklore, and a few new monsters for Cthulhu Dark Ages scenarios based in Viking Age Iceland.

Europeon cultures like Celt, Saxon (i think these are actually iceland native?), Britans, etc.

The Celts originally lived along the Danube, from where they wandered westwards to become the

Gauls (in today's France) and Britons (in today's Britain). The Saxons were an alliance of North-

west German tribes, they originally inhabited the northwestern part of what is today Germany and

the northeastern part of what are today the Netherlands. In 980 there would be descendants of

the Celts in the Bretagne (western France) and on the British Isles, and the Saxons would be a

part of the Frankish Empire in western Europe and of a mixed culture of Saxons, Angles, Jutes and

Britons in what would become England. There is not much BRP related roleplaying material about

these people, in my view the best descriptions are to be found in the supplements of the Pendra-

gon roleplaying game, which is comparatively easy to convert into BRP.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I was curiouse if anyone had any ideas as to other racial cultures that may have come along a fantasy Mythic Iceland, for example Arabian, Turkish, Tang or Sung Dynasty (Chinese), Persian, and would some of the I guess you would call them Europeon cultures like Celt, Saxon (i think these are actually iceland native?), Britans, etc. I was kinda thinking in terms of the movie "13th Warrior". I honestly dont know if cultures are the right word i am looking for or not and even if most of these were around in the year 980 ish. I am wanting to make kind of a racial sheet for each of the ones that could be used in Mythic Iceland so my players will have more than just the Icelandic race to choose from. Does anyone know if any of the other monographs has kind of a racial profession listing with skills listed in them?

Celts had settled Iceland before the Viking arrived, there were at least some monks on the island living as hermits, I believe.

Merrie England has a Saxon background, but that is really for a later medieval period. At the time of the Vikings, the Saxons of England were different from their forebears and were closer to the Saxons of Norman England, so you could use a modified version of the Merrie England stats. There is also a Saracen and a Moor background in Merrie England, which you could probably use. It is coming "soon" ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

so around 900 ish the moors were roaming around the saxons and saracens. any others that it was possible to show up in iceland around that time?

@ soltakss, are you family to charles phipps if so i enjoyed the winterweir setting, to bad about black hole, am looking forward to merrie england as well either way though :)

sincerely

heath delashmit

so around 900 ish the moors were roaming around the saxons and saracens. any others that it was possible to show up in iceland around that time?

Around 900ish, the Moors were messing about in Spain/Portugal. If they had fishing vessels then they could have reached Iceland, or more to the point the Vikings of Iceland could have traded with them.

Saracens weren't around, really, at that time, they came later.

Off the top of my head, you have got:

Vikings in Iceland, Scotland, Ireland, North and East England, Scandinavia, Normandy, Russia, Byzantium and (probably) Vinland (Labrador).

Gaels in Ireland and Scotland

Welsh in Wales

Saxons in England

Franks in France

Basques in northern Spain

Moors in central/southern Spain, Portugal and North Africa

Various Spanish-style kingdoms in northern Spain

@ soltakss, are you family to charles phipps if so i enjoyed the winterweir setting, to bad about black hole, am looking forward to merrie england as well either way though :)

If his surname if Phipps rather than Phipp then almiost certainly not, except in a very, very distant way (both surnames are said to originate from the same source). If Phipp, then maybe but it would be a distant relative.

Glad to see that you are looking forward to Merrie England.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

• 4 weeks later...

Narl picked up the pre-release copy at Gen Con. I swiped it from him for the past couple of weeks. I've read through the Rune Magic chapter and skimmed the rest of it and it promises to be a very nice supplement.

Charlie mentioned at Gen Con that they are going to add some additional art and possibly change the cover as well.

129/420

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like a delayed Chrismas gift is planned for myself.

I am a bit curious about the Cthulhu Dark Ages Scenario scenario mentioned.

I don't have Cthulhu Dark Ages my self and don't intend to get it, only use the BRP book for my games. How much Cthulhu will it be? Is hoping for a scenario more focused on the Viking mythology than on the Cthulhu mythology but I don't mind it being dark or horror themed though.

I am a bit curious about the Cthulhu Dark Ages Scenario scenario mentioned

the Dark Ages scenario in Mythic Iceland is a twisted version of a famous Icelandic story rapt around a tragic love story and is closely tide to the Icelandic culture at the time. though some entity's from the cthulhu mythous are involved you can shape it to your needs, all the mane "horrors" are in the back of the scenario

• 2 weeks later...