Combat in Magic World

Miihkali

Hello there.

I've heard combat in Magic World is more detailed/advanced/tactical/something like that, when compared to an usual BRP game. Is that the case? Has it anything to offer for a Stormbringer / RuneQuest / OpenQuest veteran? I'm just wondering if it is worth checking out. I live in Finland so ordering the book from the UK is rather expensive... On the other hand it seems to all essential in one.

Thanks

- Miihkali

SPOT RULES in MW can add a lot to an encounter.

Why don't you buy a PDF version first and see if the add-ons are worth the dead tree version for your campaign.

• Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Miihkali,

I would argue that MW Combat is absolutely not "...detailed/advanced/tactical/something like that...". I agree with tooley1chris, that the "spot rules in MW can add a lot..." of flavor options for a wily player or a colorful GM, but do not let my saying such led you to believe it's another layer of advancement. Nope. If you like Stormbinger combat, especially Stormbringer 5th ed, you're gonna love MW combat...LOL!...as it's nearly word for word. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Thanks for your answers.

I'm not sure about the PDF. I don't really like reading long texts from computer screen and I don't own any kind of reader device (perhaps I should). Also, Magic World PDF seems to be about 20 dollars (15 €), while I could probably get the book from Amazon.co.uk with less than 30€, so I don't know if it is worth it. Anyway, I haven't ever played Stormbringer 5th edition, though I've heard it is good. I own the Finnish edition of Stormbringer which is the 4th edition and honestly I've found it to be quite cumbersome. I also own the big BRP book and its combat system seems to be derived from Stormbringer so I wonder if Magic World has nothing I would have not seen or what I could not devise on my own.