Shields and arrows

Sunwolfe

Okay, this is a clarification question directed at either Ben...or any of you other MW gurus.

Shields of various sizes have a percent chance to block successful missile strikes. This is mentioned in various places in the core book: 77, 79, 90, etc.

Specials and criticals aside, what is the physical procedure for determining if the shield blocked the successfully striking arrows? In other words...the GM says, "Three arrows from the barrage have hit you. Your small shield has a 15% chance to block incoming...I/you roll to see if you blocked any". Who rolls for this: the GM or the player? It is a separate roll for each successful arrow or a roll for the whole barrage? Does this count as a "parry" or is it simply a matter of, "...oh, look, an arrow hit my shield! Good thing it was in the way!"? 

Cheers!

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Shields of various sizes have a percent chance to block successful missile strikes. This is mentioned in various places in the core book: 77, 79, 90, etc.

Bear in mind that Missile weapons may NOT be parried, OR Dodged in Magic World (page 63)

Since parrying (or dodging) missiles is generally not possible, it's not an action. I'd get the player to roll against each missile as the spot rule lists it as a "chance to block a missile".

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Talking about such things as arrows I remember an article for Elric! on different types of arrow heads (narrow, leaf, spherical and cutting amongst them) by a guy called Pawel Stacewicz that would be useful for MW. The problem is that I can't find it anywhere on the net.

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

Can you remember what it was in? A fanzine or pro-magazine?

Cheers,

Nick

I think a website called Eternal Index, or something along those lines. It was online about ten or more years ago.

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

There's a bit in Arms and Equipment of Legend for MGP Legend that has various sorts of arrow heads with mods to teh basic arrow stats.

I'm sure that I have that as an MRQ pdf. I'll have to have a look for it. Thanks for that. :)

• 1 month later...

Talking about such things as arrows I remember an article for Elric! on different types of arrow heads (narrow, leaf, spherical and cutting amongst them) by a guy called Pawel Stacewicz that would be useful for MW. The problem is that I can't find it anywhere on the net.

I'm almost positive that was on the chaosium digest...

70/420